Ejected Shells Hitting Me In The Head

Not the land of the free but the home of the brave
I've been shooting a M&P 45 full size lately and some of the ejected shells (30% +/-) are are bouncing off my head. A couple have hit me between the eyes. Also some of the shells aren't fully ejecting. They are smoke stacking horizontally. I'm shooting reloads however someone at the range let me try some factory but the results are the same. It has caused me to duck and flinch which doesn't help. Also I've been playing with the grip strength/hold to work it out but would like some input. I'm not a great pistol shooter but enjoy it. The gun was a new/used.

Limp wrist since its not 100% of the time. If more frequent I would guess extractor. Maybe let someone else shoot it and see what happens? What is a new/used gun?

1. give gun thorough cleaning including breech, chamber, barrel and under the extractor.
2. go back to range with factory ammo. not reloads.
3. if it's still brass-to-face with factory ammo and a clean gun then have someone else shoot it
4. if still brass-to-face, then call S&W and let them service it.

I've owned 2 M&P 45's over the years and both ejected very well. The brass-to-face problem isn't something that seems common with M&P's (more of a 9mm glock issue). in fact one of the few features of the M&P line that i've dug is how nicely they cycle and eject the empties.

Probably the extractor. Could be something jammed up underneath it. Take it down and clean it thoroughly.

Had the same problem with a Kahr PM45. They finally replaced the extractor, but it was like pulling teeth to get them to do it. No problems after that.

52_mercury1.jpg
[smile]

All great answers. My son has one and it functions flawlessly too. I have cleaned it to like new every time I use it. Maybe it is a downward spiral because I'm not holding it properly because it is hitting me and they keep playing off each other.

I guess I will pull the extractor and check if it is bent or what. Last thing I want to do is send it back even if I have to buy the extractor myself. I will say I've been using Unique since the 80's without issue I noticed this stuff is very dirty. I was considering a change of powder. What would be better CFE Pistol or TightGroup for 9mm and 45?

If you are noticing the casings hitting you in the head 30% of the time that means that 30% of the time you are not concentrating enough.

All great answers. My son has one and it functions flawlessly too. I have cleaned it to like new every time I use it. Maybe it is a downward spiral because I'm not holding it properly because it is hitting me and they keep playing off each other.

I guess I will pull the extractor and check if it is bent or what. Last thing I want to do is send it back even if I have to buy the extractor myself. I will say I've been using Unique since the 80's without issue I noticed this stuff is very dirty. I was considering a change of powder. What would be better CFE Pistol or TightGroup for 9mm and 45?

I use CFE pistol for .45ACP, 6.5gr behind a 230gr bullet @ 1.250 has a lot of oomph. I just started using it for 9mm too and its been great.

As for the 45 im thinking its a extractor issue as well. Even with extremely light loads my 45 compact ejects everything great like Squib308 said.

my brand new colt xse 1911 did the same to me last year, bounce those empties right off my forehead. took it to bec and lou adjusted the ejector for me. runs like a champ now and ever more...amen. [thumbsup]

All great answers. My son has one and it functions flawlessly too.

ok easy way to test then. You shoot your son's and your son shoot yours and see what happens. You'll know right away if its the gun or you

I've been shooting a M&P 45 full size lately and some of the ejected shells (30% +/-) are are bouncing off my head. A couple have hit me between the eyes. Also some of the shells aren't fully ejecting. They are smoke stacking horizontally. I'm shooting reloads however someone at the range let me try some factory but the results are the same. It has caused me to duck and flinch which doesn't help. Also I've been playing with the grip strength/hold to work it out but would like some input. I'm not a great pistol shooter but enjoy it. The gun was a new/used.

My Shield 9mm was doing that. S&W switched out the extractor, problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom