• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EGW "U" dies for .40 and 9mmm

Any thoughts on the "U" ( under size ) dies from Evolution Gun Works? I ran into some issues with range brass reloading for my 9mm 1911 and I'm buying all of the conversion parts for my 550b this weekend for .40 to reload for my 2011.

Are the U dies worth it? I can purchase the remaining seat and crimp dies individualy from the Enos website. I will be using lots of range brass, so at least the .40 die might make sense. ( I also have a bar sto barrel, which tend to run tight chamber specs )

Last edited:
I use them in 9mm, 40, and 38spl. I reload on a 650 so I keep a dillon sizing die in station 1, a u-die in station 2, and move powder drop to station 3. This is because the u-die is less forgiving of case alignment.

I use both 9, 40....only issue I have ever run into was the powder funnel sticking a bit more than usual.....They do a nice job.

I use them in 9mm, 40, and 38spl. I reload on a 650 so I keep a dillon sizing die in station 1, a u-die in station 2, and move powder drop to station 3. This is because the u-die is less forgiving of case alignment.

I've got 650 envy....

I use both 9, 40....only issue I have ever run into was the powder funnel sticking a bit more than usual.....They do a nice job.

Great, thanks.

I use one for 10mm on a 650. I don't size with a Dillon die first - I put the U-die in station 1. I haven't had a problem with case alignment so far, although I might've just jinxed myself.

I have had some success with the "U" die and "Glocked" brass. This die is pretty much 100% successful with once fired Glock brass but not with brass which has been abused more than once. The "U" die is not a "cure all" for bulged brass.

I use them in 9mm, fo-tay, and 38Super. I will caution that I have had them create a nice ridge by the web on brass that is heavily bulged in all 3 calibers, so they're not a cure-all but they did help me increase my % through the case gauge.

I just toss em in station 1 and run them as my only sizing die. For 40 and 38Super I run them through the casepro now but 9mm is too cheap and easy to find to bother.

Does that fix the bulge at the base of the cartridge or is it necessary to use a push-through option for that?

Or is the Casepro a better option? They seem to be sold out for 2014...

Last edited:
I have tried the egw u dies (mad by lee) and find no difference than a lee sizing die. Currently loading 45 for my glock 21, maybe its just me but they seem to measure the same. have not had any issues with this prosses. (previously loaded 40 S&w and 9mm no issues).

Does that fix the bulge at the base of the cartridge or is it necessary to use a push-through option for that?

Or is the Casepro a better option? They seem to be sold out for 2014...

The only way to fully fix the bulge at the bottom of the case is with a roll sizing device or a full push through, anything (not completely custom made) that involves the shell being held by the extractor groove will keep the die from being able to size the entire case. The push through setups work well if you have the patience to run them.

Back
Top Bottom