1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

egg question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by headednorth, Jun 5, 2019.

1. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Went food shopping last night, bought a dozen eggs. Inadvertently left eggs out in the kitchen over night (unrefrigerated). Discovered this this morning and put them in the fridge before going to work. So they were refrigerated in the store, then exposed to room temperature for like 8 hrs and then been refrigerated since like 530 this am. Are they ok to eat?

I know that in the wild they arent kept cool, but I dont know if it matters that they were refrigerated, then warmed up and then refrigerated again.

2. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

they should be fine. last night was cool, i know when i walked into my kitchen this morning @ 6 it was down right chilly with the heat off. but, if you eat them and die, can i have your guns?

minininjer, ridleyman, richc and 12 others like this.
  3. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Possibly. Can I have yours if I eat them and live?

ridleyman, commodon, Drix and 5 others like this.
  4. Squib308

Squib308 NES Member

your eggs are fine

5. dingbat

dingbat NES Member

If an egg is bad you'll pretty much know it when you crack it.

6. 01906

01906 NES Member

You would probably be all right. But you're not supposed to leave them out more than a couple of hours. I would just toss them they're only a couple of bucks.

beach and headednorth like this.
  7. capewalk

capewalk NES Member

When I was very young and my mom was teaching me to cook she gave me this advice. Always break your eggs for a recipe in a separate container so if you get bad egg in your ingredients you haven't spoiled anything. I still do it for expensive ingredients not so much for pancakes. I'm 63 and I've never found a bad egg.

slap shot, xtry51, richc and 7 others like this.
  8. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

hold everything...read below.

"I just realized I left the egg carton on the kitchen counter overnight. Are the eggs safe to use?

No, after eggs are refrigerated, it is important they stay that way. Maintaining a consistent, cool temperature is critical to safety. A cold egg left out at room temperature can sweat, facilitating bacteria growth. Refrigerated eggs should not be left out more than two hours before re-refrigeration."

quincy, Christian and headednorth like this.
  9. silversquirrel

silversquirrel NES Member

So head home from market basket, and get the eggs in the fridge first, and let the ice cream melt?
    No way. Ice cream has priority.

Roadglide likes this.
  10. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

I guess ill play it by ear. It wasnt all that warm in the house last night. Heat hasnt kicked on in a while. Ive thought of the cost of eggs and the fact that its cheap enough to just toss them and buy more but it also kills me to do that for some reason lol. Wish me luck ;)

commodon likes this.
  11. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Thats all I needed to hear. Thanks. Theyre so cheap its retarded of me to even risk it.

12. June4th

June4th NES Member

Dry the eggs before refrigeration again to take care of this problem.

My family didn’t have a refrigerator until I was in high school and fresh eggs last for a week even in summer without a problem.

Here is a delicious Chinese recipe for salt-preserved eggs: rub the shell with high-proof rum (80 proof vodka etc may be ok but the higher ones are better). While still wet, run salt on them. Cling wrap and refrigerate for two weeks. Hard boil and serve.

Salt changes the protein structures in the eggs and turn them yummy.

[​IMG]

mibro and headednorth like this.
  13. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Dude....don't.

Where do you think this sort of thing comes from?

upload_2019-6-5_21-48-45.jpeg

AHM, dingbat and xjma99 like this.
  14. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

You could throw them at Maura's house?

15. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

The US is one of the rare countries that wash eggs, removing the protective coating that would let them be just fine if left out.

The trade off for factory farming where the eggs are exposed to fecal matter and need to be washed I guess.

Just before laying an egg, the hen adds a protective layer called “egg bloom” or cuticle to the outside of the egg. This coating seals the shell pores, prevents bacteria from getting inside the shell, and reduces moisture loss from the egg – all designed to make the egg last longer.

Unfortunately, because of conditions at some large egg operations, commercial eggs are washed right after collection to make them appear clean and presentable. Of course, this destroys the protective egg bloom. To try replacing natural bloom, some commercial packers spray shells with a thin film of mineral oil – that’s why grocery store eggs sometimes appear shiny.

An advantage of backyard chickens is that we can assure sanitary conditions; so the natural protective bloom can be preserved. Most eggs come out spotless and with a clean nest box, washing after collection is unnecessary. Eggs that have their protective bloom will last for months, but washing them right before cooking is a good idea.

Occasionally, an egg will come out a little dirty, or feathers and nest box shavings will stick to the fresh (still wet) bloom. If shavings or feathers have gotten stuck, we simply brush them off while any eggs that are truly dirty we wash and reserve for immediate use. The bloom should never be washed off any eggs that are planned to be used for incubation and hatching; these eggs need all of their natural protection.

The fact that Mother Nature has provided for natural egg preservation, and our commercial food production methods immediately remove it, makes no sense

16. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

They won’t taste quite as good as fresh, but you will survive the experience, guaranteed.

headednorth likes this.
  17. LittleCalm

LittleCalm NES Member

You sir, are a wealth of info. This is interesting stuff.

18. GlockJock

GlockJock NES Member

They're probably in better condition than the eggs you get (and eat) at any IHOP or Denny's, etc etc...
    Sister-in-law worked at the old breakfast place on Revere Beach Parkway in Everett back in the day....Dude, even if your eggs are (God forbid) loaded with salmonella or even (heaven help you) friggin Legionnnaire's Disease, they're STILL most likely cleaner and healthier than the hard boiled bacteria that the Everett place used to serve, with bacon, toast and a nice hot cup of Chelsea Creek Sludge (and charge you $2.99 for the pleasure and experience)... and you didn't see piles of bodies and dead truckers lying in the middle of Route 16 every morning back then, so... you'll survive, I'm quite sure.
    (Your left-out-on-the-counter eggs are probably like Waldorf Astoria or Ritz Carlton quality by comparison LOL)...

Just sayin'

andrew1220 and mibro like this.
  19. Brewer

Brewer NES Life Member NES Member

Because ignorance is bliss and the average consumer doesn't like getting hands dirty. Having dirt and feces and feathers on our eggs would remind Americans of its earthy origins, coming out a hen's rear.

commodon likes this.
  20. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

Thanks to the baseless lies thread, I've learned that it's the cloaca, a combo of all egg/excrement portals. One stop droppings, if you will....

AHM likes this.
  21. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I would use them for target practice.

22. Broomcorn

Broomcorn

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

23. mibro

mibro NES Member

What you described - eggs left out overnight or all day - happens routinely in my house. No-one ever gets sick despite the fact American eggs are washed, salmonella, etc.

Of course I grew up eating unrefrigerated eggs so it doesn't seem that strange to me.

Bet you throw them out though.

24. mibro

mibro NES Member

Pick your own eggs in Morrison's, a UK supermarket.

[​IMG]

AHM likes this.
  25. 45collector

45collector NES Member

We have 7 chickens, and have more friggin’ eggs than we know what to do with. We give them to friends and family and still have plenty to cook with for ourselves. I think they taste better than store bought eggs but maybe it’s a mental thing.

EddieA and mibro like this.
  26. jct61765

jct61765 NES Member

They're fine.

27. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

just float test 'em before you use them.

AHM and whalerman69 like this.
  28. Penniepup1

Penniepup1 NES Member

Turn them into target practice.

29. fencer

fencer NES Member

What I always tell my wife is " when in doubt..throw it out!"
    Food poisoning suuuucks. There are very few thing that I will eat as "leftovers" and it pisses my wife off. I call it used food.
    That having been said, as others have suggested, I bet the eggs are ok.

I am probably the worlds fussiest eater, and god bless my wife for putting up with my shit. I hate the microwave too. If I re-heat something it is almost always in the oven. Leftover Chinese? Tinfoil on a cookie sheet - heat until sizzling. Left over lasagna or pizza? Chicken Parm? - oven. Or even in a non stick frying pan.
    And don't even get me going on frozen vegetables. Steam that shit. Those toss in the microwave bags are unnatural. Take heatly food, put in a plastic bag, and microwave? Invented by Satan.

Your eggs are fine. But I would fry them up thoroughly, and feed them to my dogs.It makes their coats shiny!

commodon likes this.
  30. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

I was taught the same method. I'm pushing 70 and have only found one bad egg.

In cooking, that is. In real life I have run across a few bad eggs. And more that were a bit "cracked".

fencer and mibro like this.