Egg Mcmuffin at noon time?

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Except for the fact that their food is never hot. Same with all fast food joints. When McDonalds went away from the heat lamps and ramps, the writing was on tge wall.
I basically lost any faith I had in McDonalds at all several years ago after the old one in South Acton (near k-mart) closed. No drive thru, it was walk-in only. There was a cute blonde chick that managed that place, and most of the workers were hispanic. I think it was pretty much the best franchise on the planet. She knew how to run the place, the workers always were on the ball and courteous. Food was always served piping hot and without much delay. I also never had one order ****ed up by that McDonalds, ever.

-Mike

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
that's because of science, not some magical mcdonalds chemical, when something loses moisture it gets hard and if there is a lack of moisture it will not develop mold...

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/heres-why-mcdonalds-burgers-don-t-rot

come on people, say you don't like the food but spare the propaganda.

each item on the mcdonalds menu is scientifically engineered to make you crave more, or more of something else on the menu. They pay a lot of money to get this right and to make sure that people can't control or comprehend the reactions their bodies and brains are going through.

it's very interesting stuff

Shhh. It's trendy to hate McD's. Liberal elitists do it all the time. Tell you the food is processed when it isn't. Tell you it's unhealthy and causes gastro problems when it doesn't.

I guess this thread is filled with liberal elitists. [rofl]

Brin747

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Very few places make homemade corned beef hash....but when you finally do find the real stuff....you'll never go back to the canned stuff. I can only eat the canned stuff if it's cooked WELL DONE.
Amen, I always ask if it's home made and order something else if it's not. If you ever find yourself in Warner, NH stop by the Foothills Restaurant for breakfast. Outstanding home made hash!

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
depends on all the variables and conditions, it is certainly possible to leave a loaf of bread out on the counter for it not to get moldy and instead dry out and get hard.
+1000....

I have had some "science experiments" with bread in my office. Every week I would buy a loaf of country kitchen wheat bread and use it for sandwiches. Well, sometimes id fall off the wagon, so to speak, and forget the loaf was there. Sometimes it would mold quickly, other times I'd look over there and id be like "shit thats like 4 weeks old now it should be green, but its not... at all... what the actual ****?" My guess is there are variables in the batch of dough or whatever they used to make the bread, as well as things like how many times the bag was opened and what kind of air got trapped in it, etc.

-Mike

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Tell you it's unhealthy and causes gastro problems when it doesn't.
I can't quantify it but they're not wrong on this count. McDonalds is the only food (not sure about the breakfast, because I never get to eat breakfast there) where I basically start regretting my decision to buy it about 30 minutes after it is consumed. I am one of the lucky ones, it just makes me uncomfortable, and I have a stomach of iron. I have friends who pretty much shit their brains out whenever they
eat it. (but they still do it anyways, wtf?)

In my estimation compared to other calorie laden foods McDonalds is about the most unhealthy feeling thing you can eat.

The only good thing about McDonalds is its convenient. They are everywhere, and a shitload of them are 24 hrs. You don't have to be a "liberal elitist" to know that most of their food sucks. It's not even about being trendy or counting calories or any of that shit, either. I've eaten a lot of unhealthy meals in my time (by calories at least) and McDonalds is on the shit end of the scale of enjoyment vs calories ratio.

-Mike

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Very few places make homemade corned beef hash....but when you finally do find the real stuff....you'll never go back to the canned stuff. I can only eat the canned stuff if it's cooked WELL DONE.

Ditto. There was a place on W57th that made it but it's long gone. My father would make it on vacation once in a while when I was very young but no home made for this guy in 20 years.[sad] I should try cooking it.
Canned is crispy with a poached egg dropped on it and a side of bacon and toast.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anyone know of a place as such, around 495 & Rt 2 intersection ? (Boxborough, Harvard, Westford etc.) We'll pay them a visit this weekend, if it exists.
Nancy's airfield cafe, the menu you changes so I am not sure if they have it currently, I'd call, but they make everything from scratch, even if they aren't serving hash it's worth a trip if you are looking to try something new. plus you can watch planes

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I can't quantify it but they're not wrong on this count. McDonalds is the only food (not sure about the breakfast, because I never get to eat breakfast there) where I basically start regretting my decision to buy it about 30 minutes after it is consumed. I am one of the lucky ones, it just makes me uncomfortable, and I have a stomach of iron. I have friends who pretty much shit their brains out whenever they
eat it. (but they still do it anyways, wtf?)

In my estimation compared to other calorie laden foods McDonalds is about the most unhealthy feeling thing you can eat.

The only good thing about McDonalds is its convenient. They are everywhere, and a shitload of them are 24 hrs. You don't have to be a "liberal elitist" to know that most of their food sucks. It's not even about being trendy or counting calories or any of that shit, either. I've eaten a lot of unhealthy meals in my time (by calories at least) and McDonalds is on the shit end of the scale of enjoyment vs calories ratio.

-Mike
It sucks so bad you continue to eat it????

If I went somewhere where I hated the taste and/or it gave me tummy-issues, I'd probably never go again.

I'd love to double-blind you (and your friends) on this. Only because people prove over and over again that McD's uses quality ingredients and makes stuff with frightening consistency. There is a 99.9999% chance that you all eat the same food, if not worse substitutes for it, as a regular course in your weekly food travels. If McD's made you sick, so would Wendy's and BK.

It's trendy to hate McD's. It has been for 25+ years.

And FWIW, I rarely go. Maybe 1-2x/yr. Same order every time. Big Mac, small fry, choco shake. Tastes the same as it did when I was a kid. And I cough a good productive cough after the meal every time. (The shakes are chemicals. That one I know is deadly. I just need one if I have McD fries. But the fries are Potato, oil, salt. The burger is 100% beef. Every day. Every McD's.)

Wendy's tried Bfst when Dave died. It was mediocre. Their biscuits were dry and would suck every danged last bit of moisture out of your mouth. They could break them up and use them to fix the floods in the NY subways after Sandy.

MAGG

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
"Another rumor attached to McDonald's asserts the company gets around truth in advertising laws regarding the meat it uses in its burgers by purchasing that commodity from a misleadingly named company. In different versions of the rumor we've encountered, the complicit business entity is named 'The All-Beef Company,' '100% Beef,' '100% Beef Company,' or even (in the versions told Down Under) '100% Australian Beef.' This legal fiction supposedly enables McDonald's to continue to advertise its burgers as using 100% pure beef even as they incorporate the meat of other animals or soy products into the patties.

While it's a fascinating tale, there's nothing to it: McDonald's hamburger patties in the U.S. are made with 100% USDA-inspected beef. They are cooked and prepared with salt, pepper and nothing else; no preservatives, no fillers.

McDonald's of Australia's "Make Up Your Own Mind" web site said the following of the rumor in its Top FAQs section:
Is it true that McDonald's created a company called "100% Australian Beef" just so they can say that in their advertising?

No. The beef that we use comes from Australian farms. McDonald's Australia only ever uses premium, export quality beef. Our patties are made by two companies; OSI Foods and Australian Food Corporation.
Those who continue to harbor doubts about the 100% beef claim should examine the ingredient lists on McDonald's web site. All of the chain's hamburgers are made from "100% beef patties"; furthermore, they define "beef patty" as being "100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders."

It's not that easy to get around truth in advertising rules in the U.S. While in the realm of legend a legal fiction such as a company titled "All Beef" might suffice, in the real world the Federal Trade Commission wouldn't stand for it. Under the Federal Trade Commission Act, that government entity is empowered to "prevent persons, partnerships, or corporations" from using "unfair methods of competition in or affecting commerce, and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce." Consumers have legal remedy available to them against corporations that have deceived them through certain provisions of the Lanham Act. "

what I don't get is why you feel like crud after you eat a burger there if its 100% beef. If I make my own and cook and eat it I feel fine after.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
"Another rumor attached to McDonald's asserts the company gets around truth in advertising laws regarding the meat it uses in its burgers by purchasing that commodity from a misleadingly named company. In different versions of the rumor we've encountered, the complicit business entity is named 'The All-Beef Company,' '100% Beef,' '100% Beef Company,' or even (in the versions told Down Under) '100% Australian Beef.' This legal fiction supposedly enables McDonald's to continue to advertise its burgers as using 100% pure beef even as they incorporate the meat of other animals or soy products into the patties.

While it's a fascinating tale, there's nothing to it: McDonald's hamburger patties in the U.S. are made with 100% USDA-inspected beef. They are cooked and prepared with salt, pepper and nothing else; no preservatives, no fillers.

McDonald's of Australia's "Make Up Your Own Mind" web site said the following of the rumor in its Top FAQs section:
Is it true that McDonald's created a company called "100% Australian Beef" just so they can say that in their advertising?

No. The beef that we use comes from Australian farms. McDonald's Australia only ever uses premium, export quality beef. Our patties are made by two companies; OSI Foods and Australian Food Corporation.
Those who continue to harbor doubts about the 100% beef claim should examine the ingredient lists on McDonald's web site. All of the chain's hamburgers are made from "100% beef patties"; furthermore, they define "beef patty" as being "100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders."

It's not that easy to get around truth in advertising rules in the U.S. While in the realm of legend a legal fiction such as a company titled "All Beef" might suffice, in the real world the Federal Trade Commission wouldn't stand for it. Under the Federal Trade Commission Act, that government entity is empowered to "prevent persons, partnerships, or corporations" from using "unfair methods of competition in or affecting commerce, and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in or affecting commerce." Consumers have legal remedy available to them against corporations that have deceived them through certain provisions of the Lanham Act. "

what I don't get is why you feel like crud after you eat a burger there if its 100% beef. If I make my own and cook and eat it I feel fine after.
the beef is only one part of your meal, the other stuff makes you feel like shit. if you just ate the patty you would feel fine

depending on what you mean by feel like crud, I assume the culprit is massive amounts of sodium in the other ingredients or parts of your meal at mcd's

MAGG

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
yeah Matty I think you are right about the sodium being the culprit.....I noticed this winter since i started doing the biggest loser challenge and barely having any salt at all, that if I go out and have a salt heavy meal I feel it. makes me feel bloated( obvious) and even like i am filled with mud

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It sucks so bad you continue to eat it????
But the fries are Potato, oil, salt.
No, they are not.

McDonald’s French Fries
Ingredients:

Potatoes
vegetable oil
canola oil
hydrogenated soybean oil*
natural beef flavor [wheat and milk derivatives]*
citric acid
dextrose
sodium acid
pyrophosphate*(maintain color)
salt
Prepared in vegetable oil
Canola oil
corn oil
soybean oil
hydrogenated soybean oil*
with TBHQ
and citric acid* added to preserve freshness).
Dimethylpolysiloxane* added as an antifoaming agent.

And BTW, canola oil like most seed oil had become popular during the industrial revolution, it is not really suitable for humans consumption, it won't kill (immediately), but, throughout history, humans used lard, other animal fat (goose etc), sunflower seed oil, olive oil. Seed oils are far from being the good alternative, they are by far the cheep
alternative, thus they are being trumpeted as healthy.

While the list above can be argued by many as being non harmful and scary chemical names when explained become less scary, I just posted this to put it clear, McD fries, nor fries bought at the frozen department in the store- are not just salt potatoes and oil.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
yeah Matty I think you are right about the sodium being the culprit.....I noticed this winter since i started doing the biggest loser challenge and barely having any salt at all, that if I go out and have a salt heavy meal I feel it. makes me feel bloated( obvious) and even like i am filled with mud
chug water before and after meals like that

on the occasion my girlfriend convinces me to eat Chinese food, I have to drink about 6 glasses of water with dinner to feel remotely normal after.

when I was eating paleo and would cheat like that it would take a day to recover... good sign that that shit is bad for you

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fries have not been the same since back when they moved away from the special french fry only mixture of fat for the fryer and moved to 100% vegetable oil. I don't know what was in the "special" mixture they used for fries but damn did they taste good back then.

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And BTW, canola oil like most seed oil had become popular during the industrial revolution, it is not really suitable for humans consumption, it won't kill (immediately), but, throughout history, humans used lard, other animal fat (goose etc), sunflower seed oil, olive oil. Seed oils are far from being the good alternative, they are by far the cheep
alternative, thus they are being trumpeted as healthy.
Since "canola" = rapeseed [shocked]
IIRC they have to process the hell out of it to get the mustardy stuff out, most notably erucic acid.

I prefer making my own frites, and prefer to fry them in duck fat. [grin]

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I have no idea...and purely on speculation but my guess is that it's due in part to the bun that comes with it and the chemicals in it. The bun contains Azodicarbonamide, which you can read about here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azodicarbonamide

It's been banned in the EU for years but yet can go into North American food.

The artisan rolls at McDick's don't contain it, just the rest.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
There's a place in Nashville that is famous for their duck fat fried tater tots....never thought I would have liked them. They are unreal.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Shhh. It's trendy to hate McD's. Liberal elitists do it all the time. Tell you the food is processed when it isn't. Tell you it's unhealthy and causes gastro problems when it doesn't.

I guess this thread is filled with liberal elitists. [rofl]
No is is filled with people that hate cold shitty overpriced crap.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have no idea...and purely on speculation but my guess is that it's due in part to the bun that comes with it and the chemicals in it. The bun contains Azodicarbonamide, which you can read about here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azodicarbonamide

It's been banned in the EU for years but yet can go into North American food.

The artisan rolls at McDick's don't contain it, just the rest.
As a food additive, azodicarbonamide is not authorised for use in Australia and the European Union.[4]:548[5] In the United States, azodicarbonamide has generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status and is allowed to be added to flour at levels up to 45 ppm.
I love the "Generally recognized as safe", that's awesome. I guess it's too much to ask for buns made of flour, yeast and water. Yes, I must be one of those weird people that think food preparation has been pretty much mastered very well, without the need for modern chemistry to be blended in.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
The fries have not been the same since back when they moved away from the special french fry only mixture of fat for the fryer and moved to 100% vegetable oil. I don't know what was in the "special" mixture they used for fries but damn did they taste good back then.

The vegtablairions found out that there was some sort of beef byproduct in the process somewhere (I forget what it was) and bitched. McD's removed it and the fries on this side of the pond were never the same. I was told by a very reliable source that at the conversion time, overseas they were still using the old process and the fries were.... well.... delicious again.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
No is is filled with people that hate cold shitty overpriced crap.
Of course the fish is processed in one of those on the water floating factories. Dragging nets over the stern and processed frozen fish when they hit the docks. There was a show on The History Channel showing it. Amazing in most aspects and McD's was the largest buyer.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The vegtablairions found out that there was some sort of beef byproduct in the process somewhere (I forget what it was) and bitched. McD's removed it and the fries on this side of the pond were never the same. I was told by a very reliable source that at the conversion time, overseas they were still using the old process and the fries were.... well.... delicious again.

this also is not true, there is still meat flavoring in their fries and they are still not vegetarian friendly.

source, I date a vegetarian, also mcdonalds website says this

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Well that, and the fries still taste like cardboard regardless of flavoring

Top Bottom