EFF on Shot Spotter

DispositionMatrix

NES Member
STREET-LEVEL SURVEILLANCE: Acoustic Gunshot Detection
Even if aimed at gunshots, this technology also captures human voices, at least some of the time. Yet people in public places ¾for example, having a quiet conversation on a deserted street¾are often entitled to a reasonable expectation of privacy, without overhead microphones unexpectedly recording their conversation. Federal and state eavesdropping statutes (sometimes called wiretapping or interception laws) typically prohibit the recording of private conversations absent consent from at least one person in that conversation.

In at least two criminal trials, the California case People v. Johnson and Commonwealth v. Denison, in Massachusetts, prosecutors sought to introduce as evidence audio of voices recorded on Acoustic Gunshot Detection system. In Johnson, the court allowed this. In Denison, the court did not, ruling that a recording of “oral communication” is prohibited “interception” under the Massachusetts Wiretap Act.

Moreover, acoustic gunshot detection systems are often placed in what police consider to be high-crime areas. As with many police surveillance systems, this can result in excessive scrutiny of the neighborhoods where people of color may live.

Just a side note Fall River returned the system they were given as ineffectual as it missed several times even hearing shots and frequently sent LEO in the wrong direction. It simply didn't work and this from a department whose motto is "We'll Try".

Just a side note Fall River returned the system they were given as ineffectual as it missed several times even hearing shots and frequently sent LEO in the wrong direction. It simply didn't work and this from a department whose motto is "We'll Try".

I thought you were going to say it crashed because it couldn't record all the gunfire... [rofl]

Last edited:
This subject has come up several times in the last decade.
You can read through them and see what our thoughts about them were 10 years ago.
I just reread this one, and I'm amazed that none of the original posters have been banned. Plutzing.gif

Here's another one from 2014, with pics of the actual devices installed:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom