• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Efa10 question

mac1911

NES Member
Ok so with paper FA10s almost impossible to find when doing a Efa10 is it leagal for seller to have a copy of buyers info to do Efa10 later at home near a PC and printer ?

Legal? Likely. It's the buyers info and they can do what they want I suppose. Smart? I wouldn't. Meet in a library parking lot and use their computer or someplace with free wifi and use a laptop.

Email each person a copy of the completed form if you can't print it.

Seems ok, get a copy of their LTC so you can accurately enter the information into the form and staple it to your copy. You could always go to a library (or someplace with wifi) and fill it out together.

Stupid efa10.....forces me to find a buyer with a laptop or a library to go to arrgghh

If you have the old .pdf version of the fa-10 saved on your computer. You can print one out, fill out all info on that and sign them as if it is the official reciept of the sale. Then when you get home file the e-fa-10 and email or mail it to the buyer. Ive done a couple transactions like this. PM me if you cant find it online, i can send you the .pdf

Last edited:
Print up the PDF that came from the state's website: Archived here:

http://www.northeastshooters.com/FA10.pdf

Print three copies and use carbon paper.

When the seller send in the top copy, he'll get it returned with a real form, and a "rejection" letter.

YOU ARE NOT REQUIRED TO DO ANYTHING at that point.

If you want to feel better, fill out the one they send you, forge the buyer's signature, and send it in. But you don't have to.

You've notified them in writing on a form provided by "said executive director", and they've sent you proof they got it. That they chose to do nothing with it isn't your problem.

Avoid the eFA10 if you can, the whole system is riddled with problems, both technical and legal.

Avoid the eFA10 if you can, the whole system is riddled with problems, both technical and legal.

I have used the eFA-10 form a few times recently with no problems, i think they have worked out most of the kinks.

Do not do what milktree stated above. The form you submit needs to be serialized to actually count as properly filed.

Last edited:
I use the paper FA-10 as a bill of sale, copy to both parties. I then fill out out eFA-10 at my convenience, Copy to both parties as a courtesy.
I believe regs allow 7 days to record the transfer.

The link is for a fillable FA10.

Doesn't matter if you print it out before filling it. It's identical to the PDF provided by the CHRB.

I have used the eFA-10 form a few times recently with no problems, i think they have worked out most of the kinks.

Do not do what milktree stated above. The form you submit needs to be serialized to actually count as properly filed.

Bull. You're wrong, and spreading misinformation. The law says *nothing* about what the state does with the form once you send it to them. "properly filed" is entirely the state's problem, not yours. The law also says nothing about serialization. However, it *does* say that the information must be submitted to the state *in writing*. the eFA10 doesn't comply with that provision.

Furthermore, they haven't worked out the kinks, it's still a fundamentally flawed system.

Efa10 on a smartphone works well

Except that it's still the eFA10, which still has legal, technical, and ... political problems. "Political" isn't the right word, but it has poor civic hygiene.

I use the paper FA-10 as a bill of sale, copy to both parties. I then fill out out eFA-10 at my convenience, Copy to both parties as a courtesy.
I believe regs allow 7 days to record the transfer.

Using the paper FA10 is good, once the seller sends in the top copy (or the original if you're using the newer single page paper FA10 and either carbon paper or a photocopier) your legal obligation is complete. The eFA10 is completely unnecessary. If you mail in the paper copy *and* do the eFA10, you're filing twice. If that screws up the system, I'm OK with that, but you might not be.

Last edited:
That's just something silly on their end. Save the file and open it using Adobe Reader, should open just fine. There is a thread with that info here somewhere that I found when I freaked out the last time...

That's just something silly on their end. Save the file and open it using Adobe Reader, should open just fine. There is a thread with that info here somewhere that I found when I freaked out the last time...

I can open it but if I attach it to a mail message it password protects it then

just did a private purchase an hour ago, filled out the efa-10, got the transfer ID number saying it went thru, then went to print it and a page came up saying I needed a PDF password??? has this happened to any one. There was no password given and I could not print my paper work due to this. If anyone has experienced this would be greatly appreciated if you could shed some light. thanks

I can open it but if I attach it to a mail message it password protects it then

Ask them to save it and then open instead of double clicking the attachment.

just did a private purchase an hour ago, filled out the efa-10, got the transfer ID number saying it went thru, then went to print it and a page came up saying I needed a PDF password??? has this happened to any one. There was no password given and I could not print my paper work due to this. If anyone has experienced this would be greatly appreciated if you could shed some light. thanks

See the above. Save it to disk, open and print away...

This also just happened to me yesterday. Searched a long time to find no answers. It did say it went through but it would have been more satisfying to print out the copy of transaction.

"...avoid the EFA10 if you can." Bahahaha. Embrace technology folks, it's an amazing thing.

Yes. But when you use the eFA10, it makes it easier for the paper forms to go away entirely, something the CHRB has been trying to force for a few years.

When the paper forms go away, it'll be impossible for those who don't have access to technology to exercise their constitutional rights.

That's bad.

If you have the old .pdf version of the fa-10 saved on your computer. You can print one out, fill out all info on that and sign them as if it is the official reciept of the sale. Then when you get home file the e-fa-10 and email or mail it to the buyer. Ive done a couple transactions like this. PM me if you cant find it online, i can send you the .pdf

This...[laugh2]

I've saved the PDF first...and then printed it out later (usually after emailing to myself and buyer)

If in IE, when the confirmation screen pops up, on the right side, under the "page" tab there is "save as"

On iPhone, when the confirmation PDF shows, tap the top right corner and hit "open in iBooks". After that, go into iBooks and email to yourself for future printing.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

K. I hate to bump this thread, but I'm getting pissed off at my phone and Massachusetts. When I clicked "Print Transaction", it just sent me straight to a password screen. No options to save etc. Somehow, I got it to send to iBooks. But now it sits in iBooks, password protected, and I'm unable to open it to e-mail to myself. I'm running a Sync on iTunes in hopes of finding it stored in my Books, but nothing yet. Should I just say screw it and call tomorrow morning for a paper receipt?

K. I hate to bump this thread, but I'm getting pissed off at my phone and Massachusetts. When I clicked "Print Transaction", it just sent me straight to a password screen. No options to save etc. Somehow, I got it to send to iBooks. But now it sits in iBooks, password protected, and I'm unable to open it to e-mail to myself. I'm running a Sync on iTunes in hopes of finding it stored in my Books, but nothing yet. Should I just say screw it and call tomorrow morning for a paper receipt?

Did you file the eFA10 from an iPhone or iPad? I've been wondering how (or if) that would work - sounds like it may not work easily or at all.

If you can open it in iBooks, isn't there an option to open it with another pdf app and mail it? I think some of the pdf reader/editor apps will do that.

Did you file the eFA10 from an iPhone or iPad? I've been wondering how (or if) that would work - sounds like it may not work easily or at all.

If you can open it in iBooks, isn't there an option to open it with another pdf app and mail it? I think some of the pdf reader/editor apps will do that.

Won't let me open it in iBooks. I click on the PDF on the 'shelf' and it immediately prompts for a password. I was able to use a demo version of some sketchball export/import tool (I'll check the name when I get out of work) and export the PDF off the phone and on to my computer. The PDF didn't show up in my iTunes either, even after syncing over WiFi, turning off iCloud backup and syncing through the cable. Talk about frecking frustration.

Back
Top Bottom