• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EFA-10 Records

USA

I was cleaning out my files and was looking to condense my firearms records. During this time i noticed I can't find the EFA-10 forms from a few of the firearms transactions I've conducted. I did some searching but didn't find anything relevant stating if I needed to maintain these forms?

I know I had these forms, but I just can't find them and it's driving me nuts!

One was a lower, so I don't know if I need that to prove that I had it before 7/20

No law requires you to keep the forms.

However, stupid laws (1998) and "press conference re-interpretations of law" make it wise to keep paper to prove grandfather status for some items that you'd never have expected to have to justify later in life.

For $20, the State will sell you a copy of what they think you have.

Tons of issues with that, I can tell you from recent experience.

The list they send you is not sorted by any discernable criterion. It shows only serial number and the LTC/FID that was recorded on the transaction report, so *very* hard to sort.

My blue card records were mostly missing (not too surprising). My scanned FA-10 forms had numerous mistakes, missing records and at least one transfer (to me) of a firearm I've never owned. I will say that my copies of direct-input FA-10 forms were, as you'd expect, 100% accurate.

The thing is that the list of what they *think* you own has very little useful information on it and depending on which regulatory period you're looking at can be anywhere from somewhat to seriously inaccurate. The idea that the Commonwealth may think you own weapons that you've never owned is particularly troubling, and I'm currently in the early stages of following up on those records.

I scan every transaction form dealer or FA10 or eFA10 and saved them as PDF on my computer and have the file on pen drive as well.
I even have a spread sheet showing sale dates and name of dealer or person with dates.
At least it could help in a pinch.
Lot of work but could prove useful later

There is a law requiring every transfer be FA10'd, either by the dealer or the seller in FTF transactions. The paper copy is your proof that it was done at the time of the transfer. I always forget if the statue of limitations is five or sevens years.

There is a law requiring every transfer be FA10'd, either by the dealer or the seller in FTF transactions. The paper copy is your proof that it was done at the time of the transfer. I always forget if the statue of limitations is five or sevens years.

The requirement is on the seller so you can have lots of guns not in the system if the seller failed in their obligation...

Others experiences may differ but as I have posted in the past, a close friend of mine requested from the FRB a record of all EFA-10 activity in their name as is available to do for a minimal fee. The documentation returned from the FRB indicated activity significantly lower than my friends collection. This is the only person I know that went through this and it was approximately 4 years ago.

Statute of Limitations is really irrelevant here.

What's relevant is something that already happened TWICE now and will likely happen again:

- 1998 law that says handguns not tested and on EOPS List can't be transferred by MA Dealers. EXCEPTION: If you can prove it was in MA on/before 10/21/1998. How do you prove that? Well if you saved your FA-10s you are GTG and if sold in-state will get you more money.

- 7/20/2016 - Raving lunatic AG announces in a press conference that all ARs and AKs are "assault weapons". Later throws a bone to some folks if they can prove it was registered in MA prior to her edict she claims that you can transfer them to another MA LTC holder. How do you prove that? Well if you saved your FA-10s you are GTG . . . at least until she changes her mind.

- What's next? That is anyone's guess but you can be sure that another shoe will drop in MA and it won't be pretty.

Back
Top Bottom