• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

educate me: US made plate carriers

I'm thinkin' in preparation for worst case scenario SHTF, I might as well have a plate carrier. I try to buy American made products whenever possible. I know nothing about plate carriers and would very much like to learn what your money gets you. I see things from $79-$450 which is a really big window of pricing. Please educate me!

If you actually want to train and wear it all day, get a PIG.

I have an Eagle which is nice, my wife has a Tactical Tailor she loves.

If a buy a new carrier it will be a PIG

I've been pondering this for the same reasons (SHTF) as well and decided to get a plate carrier to supplement my simple chest rig if necessary. I ordered an Ares Derma carrier because of the bungee sides and the buckles - I dont like the velcro and strap/buckle types because of my body shape :) . I bought it because of a 35% off code that I found and it still works so it was $235 with upgraded shoulder pads. I don't have it yet, making it I suppose...

Idk my POS Condor MOPC works for me :confused:

i've got the same thing. if you can believe i "upgraded" to this over a tactical tailor... however that was because i'm such a cheeseburger needing bastard that the TT was just too big.

i like how adjustable the MOPC is but that's about it. i fully understand it's shit tier gear and i need to upgrade back to decent kit. i just didn't want to jump into something else that would cost me hundreds and not fit me right.

condor gear is good if you want potentially disposable kit. i had the stitching come out of a brand new chest rig before an event and i'd never even worn the thing. condor is the harbor freight tools of kit.

color me tacticool.

Same here. I had some stitching issues as well but it has been okay for what it is. I assume it will probably fall apart within seconds of real hard use (this is what ARFCOM leads everyone to believe) but for what I want it for (classes and SHTF), I think I will survive with POS Condor PC for now. Even my ATS Warbelt pals webbing has been loosening up faster than I thought it would.

Condor is what the tacticool airsoft guys wear.

Yea I have a slew of Airsoft guns I bring with me to Carbine classes when I am wearing my Condor gear. Gotta fit in with the garb. [laugh]

Last edited:
Never wore one. We didn't have plate carriers, back in the days of my service. We had those flak jackets, and we left them on base pretty much all of the time. I would not trade mobility for armor. Not that my fat ass is mobile anymore, but still. That's a lot of weight, right there.
One question tho: how do paratroopers jump with that stuff? Genuinely curious.

Back
Top Bottom