• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Educate me on the Ruger Deerfield Carbine

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

I think I might buy my dad a Ruger Deerfield Carbine with a Trijicon Huron 1-4x24 for Christmas this year. He's talked about wanting a "10/44" for years and he doesn't currently own a deer rifle. Got a few questions:

(1) Which one is "better", the Deerfield Carbine or the Model 44?

(2) Looks like the D/C has two scope ring bases; do these experience ejection issues with one-piece mounts?

(3) How reliably do these feed a variety of .44 Magnum?

(4) I checked recent Gunbroker sold auctions and these have been recently going for $750-1250. What's normal market equilibrium for a D/C?

And I'm open to other info on the Deerfield Carbine or Model 44. To my untrained eye, the Deerfield Carbine seems better because it has a rotary mag and is also a newer model, although both are discontinued and have been so for a long time.

I had a Ruger Deerfield second gen, the mag fed one, not the tube fed one. I bought it in 2001 and sold it to a board member last year after sitting in my safe for too long. I shot 240 and 270 gn loads, both store bought and hand loaded. Lifetime with the gun I shot it about 400 times ( I keep track) at deer twice with no results, but that was my fault. It's a great little gun that gave me no problems. I had a 4x shotgun scope on it and it was great from 50-100 yards sighted in at 75. The brass bounced off the scope tube but I bought a leather cover that protected the base. I paid Carl $450 for it. I have no info on the 44.

A friend with the first gen tube fed Deerfield was told to go screw by Ruger when he was looking for a part as it was too old, don't know about the second gen but I know they had stopped making them by 2010

Last edited:
Wow what an awesome gift ! I can’t offer any advice on the rifle but I hunt with a Trijicon Accupoint on a BLR and you can’t go wrong with the Trijicon. I am able to pick up targets very quickly and shoot fast with both eyes open.
I like the green triangle it really stands out. I have also had very good luck with Warne rings.

Have no experiences with either rifle apart from occasionally seeing one, just wanted to chime and and say neat gift. I haven't tried the newer variables from Trijicon, but have no complaints from the accupower. Seems like a decent buy especially at the price I see for the Huron 1-4.

I don't know anything about the Deerfield version. I have the Ruger 44. I like it a lot. I actually like the tube feed, though it takes some getting used to. At first I would often forget to drop the bolt before loading. Mine cycles full power 240 grain jacketed loads pretty reliably. Haven't shot that many 300 grain loads out of it, but it liked the ones I did shoot out of it. It didn't like my 180 grain XTP reloads very much. So for me, full power 240-300 grain loads are reliable.

I've got the .44 mag carbine tube fed circa 1971 with a Leupold 1x4 scope. Great woods gun, a real pleasure to carry - light, reliable, 75 -100+ yard kill range, swings up real easy. It's like carrying a 10/22 in a .44 mag platform. I only use 240 gr. JSP (Winchester white box) and have not had any issues. Either version would make a great gift for your Dad. The Model 44 Carbine has the 10/22 style action while the Deerfield version has the Mini 14 style action. Here's an interesting article on the Model 44 Carbine I copied a few years ago from American Rifleman magazine:

Attachments

• Ruger Model .44 Magnum Article.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
I've got the .44 mag carbine tube fed circa 1971 with a Leupold 1x4 scope. Great woods gun, a real pleasure to carry - light, reliable, 75 -100+ yard kill range, swings up real easy. It's like carrying a 10/22 in a .44 mag platform. I only use 240 gr. JSP (Winchester white box) and have not had any issues. Either version would make a great gift for your Dad. The Model 44 Carbine has the 10/22 style action while the Deerfield version has the Mini 14 style action. Here's an interesting article on the Model 44 Carbine I copied a few years ago from American Rifleman magazine:

Ive got my Dads from around the same time. Nearly perfect condition with a period Weaver Wide 4 plex on it. Great handy small rifle for 100 yards and under.
Haven't shot it in years....but i use the 240 grain loads with no problem last time I shot it. Goes great with my Smith 629 5 inch.

Back
Top Bottom