Educate me on Phoenix, AZ

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be in Phoenix for job interviews from 6/21 to 6/24. Interviews will be on the morning of 6/24. Looking for info on restaurants, food, bars, gun ranges, coffee, trains from the airport to downtown, Uber, and anything else.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
2 hours north of me. I’ll be working night shift 6/20 - 6/23 otherwise I’d drive up and show you around a bit. Go grab a burger at Hopdoddy. (And a frosty beer). Also the green chili queso fries. Snobbsdale gun club is the country’s largest indoor range. Use Lyft rather than Uber. As it’s less rapey feeling.
I talk a lot of hate for the Phoenix area. It’s mostly because it’s quickly becoming “New Los Angeles” with all the California refugees. If you are into racing wild horse pass is right there. Depending on where you are staying and interviewing, I can give more spots to see. I can honestly say enjoy your visit. You will love my state. It’s a completely different mindset, and quality of life from the north east.
Bring your pistol, not that you will need it. But you are free to CC without a permit. Everyone is polite when most of us are armed. Like I said, let me know what part of town you are going to be holed up in.

And good luck with the interview.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 hours north of me. I’ll be working night shift 6/20 - 6/23 otherwise I’d drive up and show you around a bit. Go grab a burger at Hopdoddy. (And a frosty beer). Also the green chili queso fries. Snobbsdale gun club is the country’s largest indoor range. Use Lyft rather than Uber. As it’s less rapey feeling.
I talk a lot of hate for the Phoenix area. It’s mostly because it’s quickly becoming “New Los Angeles” with all the California refugees. If you are into racing wild horse pass is right there. Depending on where you are staying and interviewing, I can give more spots to see. I can honestly say enjoy your visit. You will love my state. It’s a completely different mindset, and quality of life from the north east.
Bring your pistol, not that you will need it. But you are free to CC without a permit. Everyone is polite when most of us are armed. Like I said, let me know what part of town you are going to be holed up in.

And good luck with the interview.
Thank you! I will be near the law school and Arizona State's Downtown Phoenix campus. About a half mile north of Chase Field.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Check out Mill ave. It’s kinda college town ish. But with a money / hipster feel. So it’s clean, college bar scene. Near the Scottsdale airport is where Dillon precision / Dillon aero are based. So you could play tourist there. They are super friendly folks. My younger brother had to go cycle 2 million rounds through their mini guns from helicopters. (What a rough job he has.). The Irish pub “keegan’s“ is good. Also pizzeria Bianco is in the top 5 for the entire country every year. The odysea aquarium is a stop you should make as well. Hiking in the area is really good. Wave cave is nearby. But you are much lower elevation than I am here in southern Arizona. So it’s going to be oppressively hot. So keep hydrated. Hottest part of the day is between 1 and 3 pm.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Phoenix in June, how delightful....
You know the best time to visit Phoenix....never, it sucks.

Bistro

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
When I visited Phoenix couple of years ago it felt abandoned. Schools were out and just felt empty and most places closed early.

Went to Sedona, I liked it with the red rocks but too many psychics and crystals especially with the red rocks that it reminded me of total recall.

Went to flagstaff which I loved because it reminded me of NH, it was beautiful.

I think Phoenix was my least favorite but love Arizona as a whole, I wish I could move there:(

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I should tell you a secret about Arizona. All of the terrible things you hear are fabrications cooked up by us residents. Most locals are tired of the endless waves of California refugees. So we tell everyone it’s so hot your brain will leak out of your ears. And that even the bugs will kill you faster than in Australia. You should have a fine visit. If you feel ambitious, get a styrofoam cooler, and see if snackbar will join you to float the salt river. (6 hours of lounging in an inner tube drinking beer watching the antics of the local college kids). Water is under 60 degrees, so it is nice to get sunburnt and cook off a Saturday afternoon.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be in Phoenix for job interviews from 6/21 to 6/24. Interviews will be on the morning of 6/24. Looking for info on restaurants, food, bars, gun ranges, coffee, trains from the airport to downtown, Uber, and anything else.
Very hot...lots of retirees.

That's all you need to know. :)

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I've only been out there twice, once in February and once in August (at the end of biz trip to ABQ). I liked it and not minding the heat, would move out there without much hesitation.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i published this find before, but worth showing again

rte 66 between kingman and oatman AZ.

lots of good exploring to do there...just make SURE you bring gallons of water in the car...just in case...

it can be a long walk back to civilization out there.
also google maps, and stuff like that, will not work out there (unless you go thru the gyrations of downloading the area ahead of time), so bring a REAL gps with you

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love the south west but I hate Phoenix. But then I hate all cities. I'd consider living in Arizona but I'd be up around Williams or Sedona or Cottonwood, etc...anywhere but Phoenix.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
phoenix proper kind of sucks, but scottsdale and some of the other suburbs are nice. Sedona is only a few hours drive and grand canyon about 4 hours. tons of natural beauty, landscapes etc.

I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry heat...

I remember going to a trade show in vegas during the summer. This was about 30 yrs ago when you wore blue suit, white shirt , tie and oxford shoes. We landed at midnight, it had cooled all the way down to 99. During the day, it hit 118. Someone said, 'yeah, but it is a dry heat'. Someone replied, 'my oven is dry heat, but you don't find me crawling in there'. 117 is just melt your eyeballs hot.

Oh, and there is reason that people put those windshield screens up or at a least a towel on the seat and steering wheel when you leave your car.

ccm75

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Take a hat.
I was there years ago in February for business. I had to walk from my hotel to an office building downtown.
I could have fried an egg on top of my bald head......Used an notebook for protection.
It was hot, damn hot.............

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 minute drive to BLM land you can shoot on. If you need more than that, you're on the wrong message board.

I lived in the areas around Phoenix for 8 years. It's number 2 on my retirement list, if you include Prescott and Flag as the same area.

In Phoenix, decent skiing is a 3-4 hour drive north, camping in the mountains during summer is a good 20-30 degrees cooler during the summer. People are generally pleasant without the usual 'you aren't from around here' BS you get in the Northeast, everyone is from somewhere else.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I should tell you a secret about Arizona. All of the terrible things you hear are fabrications cooked up by us residents. Most locals are tired of the endless waves of California refugees. So we tell everyone it’s so hot your brain will leak out of your ears. And that even the bugs will kill you faster than in Australia. You should have a fine visit. If you feel ambitious, get a styrofoam cooler, and see if snackbar will join you to float the salt river. (6 hours of lounging in an inner tube drinking beer watching the antics of the local college kids). Water is under 60 degrees, so it is nice to get sunburnt and cook off a Saturday afternoon.
I plan on going to a Diamondbacks game on Saturday or Sunday to relax before my interviews Monday.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
10 minute drive to BLM land you can shoot on. If you need more than that, you're on the wrong message board.

In Phoenix, decent skiing is a 3-4 hour drive north, camping in the mountains during summer is a good 20-30 degrees cooler during the summer. People are generally pleasant without the usual 'you aren't from around here' BS you get in the Northeast, everyone is from somewhere else.
Lol. Very true. I’m south. Like between Tucson and Nogales. I usually get between 2-4 days of varmint hunting a week every week. Most times I don’t even have to step off mom and dads 5.5 acres. But it’s between a pecan orchard and BLM land. So even during all hunting seasons, I only need to go visit for a cup of coffee, and stalk out with my rifle or bow. Near me up in Tucson is the Raytheon plant where TLAM’s are made. I’m however an industrial electrician at one of the big copper strip mines. ( because it pays enough, and it’s a 10 min drive to work.). Cost of living is seriously low down here, but I’m clos enough to Tucson or Phoenix to make a day of it if I need anything right now today.

The stadium for the diamondbacks is pretty nice considering. I’m sure your trip will be pleasant. Shame you are not here in July for the monsoon rains.

Horrible

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Dry heat...

I remember going to a trade show in vegas during the summer. This was about 30 yrs ago when you wore blue suit, white shirt , tie and oxford shoes. We landed at midnight, it had cooled all the way down to 99. During the day, it hit 118. Someone said, 'yeah, but it is a dry heat'. Someone replied, 'my oven is dry heat, but you don't find me crawling in there'. 117 is just melt your eyeballs hot.

Oh, and there is reason that people put those windshield screens up or at a least a towel on the seat and steering wheel when you leave your car.
I was at Hoover Dam in 2002 in early August. It was 118. Yes it was hot but still not as uncomfortable as 96 and humid here in the east.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Very true. I’m south. Like between Tucson and Nogales. I usually get between 2-4 days of varmint hunting a week every week. Most times I don’t even have to step off mom and dads 5.5 acres. But it’s between a pecan orchard and BLM land. So even during all hunting seasons, I only need to go visit for a cup of coffee, and stalk out with my rifle or bow. Near me up in Tucson is the Raytheon plant where TLAM’s are made. I’m however an industrial electrician at one of the big copper strip mines. ( because it pays enough, and it’s a 10 min drive to work.). Cost of living is seriously low down here, but I’m clos enough to Tucson or Phoenix to make a day of it if I need anything right now today.

The stadium for the diamondbacks is pretty nice considering. I’m sure your trip will be pleasant. Shame you are not here in July for the monsoon rains.
You are 'East' of Phoenix, Ajo is South of Phoenix. A whole lot of nothing is South: Gila Bend, then Ajo. There's a painting on the side of a building in Ajo, it says: End of the world-10 miles. Ajo-12 miles.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You are 'East' of Phoenix, Ajo is South of Phoenix. A whole lot of nothing is South: Gila Bend, then Ajo. There's a painting on the side of a building in Ajo, it says: End of the world-10 miles. Ajo-12 miles.
I get your point. But I’m about as east, as ajo is west.
This is where I work. Funny you mention Ajo, as it’s beside why. Which no one goes to unless they are driving to rocky point.

Attachments

Top Bottom