Educate me on 20" AR15s

• Thread starter Deleted member 67409
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67409

Went shooting today with a fellow NES'er and he brought a 20" A1 clone. This was the first time I had shot a 20" AR and I found it much more pleasant to shoot than the usual, more in-vogue 16" carbine. No concussive blast, less noise, very little recoil, comfortable shooting gun.

I have a YHM lower hanging around in my closet. I do not have any other AR currently. I've shot ARs but never built or bought a whole one before. I also have a pistol grip although I forgot the brand.

Here's what I'm looking for:

*20" barrel with full length gas system
*A2 fixed stock
*Flash suppressor rather than muzzle brake
*Flat top, railed upper - not opposed to going without front sights, either
*A very good trigger

Open to thoughts/suggestions!

I built my first AR with a stripped (NES group buy) lower, and put a complete Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit upper on it. 20" stainless bbl. W/target crown. Rifle length gas system.
223 Wylde chamber. 1:8 twist handles both 5.56 and .223, and most every bullet weight.

Build out your lower with a PRS stock, a nice trigger (see Geissele SSA), and good glass and you'll have a tack driver.

If you want a top quality barrel with some precision chops, check out White Oak Armament. The handguards on their assembled uppers aren’t the best looking though, in my opinion.

If you’re looking for a good assembled upper that will hold up to anything you throw at it, look at Bravo Company.

Are you in a free state? That will determine if you can flash suppressor and if you can order from BCM.

For a very good trigger, I would look at either a Larue MBT-2S or a Geissele SSA. The Larue is cheaper and has a more definitive break. The Geissele has a smoother overall pull. Also, the Larue is a wide trigger, and I like the finger-feel of the Geissele better. Both companies also have nice single stage triggers. I like the Larue for “defensive” ARs and Geissele for precision/marksman ARs.

I like 20" barrels AR's because of the ballistics. There is a thread here somewhere documenting M193 out of 18"+ barrel being able to defeat AR500 armor.

If you want a top quality barrel with some precision chops, check out White Oak Armament. The handguards on their assembled uppers aren’t the best looking though, in my opinion.

If you’re looking for a good assembled upper that will hold up to anything you throw at it, look at Bravo Company.

Are you in a free state? That will determine if you can flash suppressor and if you can order from BCM.

For a very good trigger, I would look at either a Larue MBT-2S or a Geissele SSA. The Larue is cheaper and has a more definitive break. The Geissele has a smoother overall pull. Also, the Larue is a wide trigger, and I like the finger-feel of the Geissele better. Both companies also have nice single stage triggers. I like the Larue for “defensive” ARs and Geissele for precision/marksman ARs.

I'm in RI so a flash suppressor is on my radar.

223 Wylde chamber. 1:8 twist handles both 5.56 and .223, and most every bullet weight...

I’ll second the recommendation for 1:8 twist. They seem to be rather precise with a wide range of bullet weights.

The Army Marksmanship Unit chose 1:8 twist for the Squad Designated Marksman M16s for a reason. Only things you can’t shoot are long tracers or other really long specialty rounds.

Last edited:
I'm in RI so a flash suppressor is on my radar.

For a flash suppressor, the standard A2 is perfectly fine. Some of the “fancier” flash suppressors help in the dark for shorter barrels. The A2’s not bad though. And for a 20”, it’s more than acceptable. And it helps that it’s like $8.

I am looking at a barrel for my LMT. Asking here has me looking at 204 Ruger at 20”. My 308 is already at 24. This makes a well balanced collection IMO.

I like 20" barrels AR's because of the ballistics. There is a thread here somewhere documenting M193 out of 18"+ barrel being able to defeat AR500 armor.

If you dig this up, pls post a link to it. Didn't know that was a "thing". I stay away from long barrels because they're awkward, and at typical 0-200 engagement distances, probably didn't matter much....

Went shooting today with a fellow NES'er and he brought a 20" A1 clone. This was the first time I had shot a 20" AR and I found it much more pleasant to shoot than the usual, more in-vogue 16" carbine. No concussive blast, less noise, very little recoil, comfortable shooting gun.

I have a YHM lower hanging around in my closet. I do not have any other AR currently. I've shot ARs but never built or bought a whole one before. I also have a pistol grip although I forgot the brand.

Here's what I'm looking for:

*20" barrel with full length gas system
*A2 fixed stock
*Flash suppressor rather than muzzle brake
*Flat top, railed upper - not opposed to going without front sights, either
*A very good trigger

Open to thoughts/suggestions!
Get a Marine ACOG, they’re specific to the 20” barrels
Geiselle SD-3G

I have a Geissele National Match and SSA-E on two AR builds. Love them both. Go to the “Build Your Own” subforum and you’ll find some great information. Tons of great guidance from some very knowledgeable people.

Does anyone still make an A2 upper 20” fixed handle?

Fulton Armory does.

White Oak has one, but with a stainless match barrel and free float handguards that look like A2 handguards.

There are a number of “clone build” websites that sell them.

Or you can find take-offs on gunbroker. Just make sure the takedown pin sizes are correct if you pick up an older colt upper.

i prefer the way an a2 looks and handles over the carbine; have an old colt.
Ditto, I have an A1 (1966 SP1) very accurate, shoots everything and I have left it completely stock right down to the Edgewater buffer. No forward Assist and have never wished or needed one.

Last edited:
My first AR15 was a 20" A2 with HBAR, no brake or anything on the barrel. It was really nice to shoot, because the weight and length made it very stable and
practically no recoil, and it was relatively quiet compared with 16" with brake etc, and I think like the A2 sights for shooting offhand. I kind of wish I'd kept it now, I forget why I sold it.

Horse fully beaten

Rifle length gas is where it’s at. I no longer have much use for a 16” mid length. It’s 18 or 20 rifle for many reasons but mostly to get that rifle length gas system.

When I built my 20” rifle, everyone was sold out of carry handle uppers so I went flat top with removable carry handle. Still works good. I plan on getting a real carry handle upper someday but it’s fairly low on priority list.

Very fun fun to shoot.

Just do a search for "AR-15 kits" and you'll find a plethora of them to pick from. Here's one, for instance:
www.midsouthshooterssupply.com in the search type in "ar15 kits"
They used to be a lot less expensive. Also, there are no parts in these kits that are illegal to order. As a kit they are simply machined parts. You have to provide the "gun".

Horse fully beaten

Rifle length gas is where it’s at. I no longer have much use for a 16” mid length. It’s 18 or 20 rifle for many reasons but mostly to get that rifle length gas system.

I have this barrel waiting to be built into an upper. It's $40 less now than what I paid for it.

Chamber .223 Wylde
Gas System Rifle Length
Length 18"
Material Stainless Steel, Type 416R, Barrel Grade
Muzzle Threads None
Profile Fluted
Rifling 1:8, RH, Six Groove, Precision Button Rifling
Weight 39.7 oz.

Yes but like the A1 time is moving forward and newer younger shooters dont want to shoot grandpa’s rifle
Or take the time to learn how to use nice aperture iron sights

When I built my 20” rifle, everyone was sold out of carry handle uppers so I went flat top with removable carry handle. Still works good. I plan on getting a real carry handle upper someday but it’s fairly low on priority list.

Very fun fun to shoot.
Detach carry handle is fine gives you both options

Back
Top Bottom