• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ed's RED!

I figured I'd post the ingredients of Ed's Red for those of you looking to make a batch of your own cleaner inexpensively. This stuff works great for everything but copper removal.

1 part Dexron ATF

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits

1 part Acetone (optional, I don't recommend it)

(Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon)

I make mine minus the Acetone, because that stuff is terrible for you, and in my opinion is too aggressive and unnecessary. You can make a gallon for cheap, and it works just as well as commercial stuff for all you DIY guys.

For lube, I simply use Mobil 1 because it's cheap and works.

I've been using it since I read about it on surplus rifle except I use the acetone. I just use a pair of solvent proof gloves when handling parts.
At a quart each, I keep a few batches mixed in gallon gas cans and use 1 batch for soaking parts in a 5 gallon paint bucket with snap top lid.
2 days of soaking is good for softening up even the most stubborn cosmolene.

I've been using it since I read about it on surplus rifle except I use the acetone. I just use a pair of solvent proof gloves when handling parts.
At a quart each, I keep a few batches mixed in gallon gas cans and use 1 batch for soaking parts in a 5 gallon paint bucket with snap top lid.
2 days of soaking is good for softening up even the most stubborn cosmolene.

I made it once with and once without the acetone. The only difference I noticed was the speed that it cleaned. The acetone would work a lot faster than the batch I have now. But like you, I let things soak for a day and when they soak that long having acetone doesn't really make a huge difference. I clean most of my guns now with it, and it works fine for me. I usually used MPro7 and BF CLP, but MPRO is too expensive and BF just goes everywhere.

I make mine minus the Acetone, because that stuff is terrible for you

How is acetone any worse for you than mineral spirits and kerosene? All three of them shouldn't be inhaled, and you should wear gloves to protect your skin from irritation, but according to MSDS information, none of them are overly toxic from casual contact.

How is acetone any worse for you than mineral spirits and kerosene? All three of them shouldn't be inhaled, and you should wear gloves to protect your skin from irritation, but according to MSDS information, none of them are overly toxic from casual contact.

Not sure. Regardless of MSDS for some reason the fumes from the Acetone pack a wallup. I made it with both, and there is a difference in the potency of the fumes. I'm sure they are all equally bad/not bad for you but the acetone doesn't agree with me so I don't use it. I do use rubber gloves and use it outside.

+1.... if one is paranoid about chemicals, Ed's Red is not for you. [laugh]

-Mike

Hopefully this stuff is being used in a well ventilated area. Probably not a good idea to smoke around it either - though how can you clean without smoking?

The acetone is more polar than the other chemicals and removes charged forms of copper and other metals faster. Acetone is absorbed readily through the skin. Some ethanol or isopropanol would be polar and a little less offensive than acetone. TRY this at your own risk in any case.

Some latex gloves should be sufficient. Mask couldn't hurt but isn't needed if you are cleaning outside with some air circulation.

I agree with the post about using a non-toxic cleaner. But, I also agree, the non-toxic cleaner is comparatively expensive.

My question is how do you dispose of the solvents when finished? Just curious who would take this stuff on a regular basis - I wouldn't want to store it for the once a year hazardous waste day in my town.

Last edited:
Versus the $20/gal you spend on Ed's Red. It's not that I'm worried about Acetone, trust me I've done a lot worse thing in my life that I worry about more than Acetone...i just can't stand the fumes from it even outside. I don't smoke cigarettes, so don't have to worry about that. If cleaners are used casually and in a well-ventilated area, you'll be fine. The stuff works great, acetone or no-acetone. I can't stand the smell of acetone, so i don't use it. [smile] It's great for soaking parts. $70/gal...jeesh.

I haven't had to disgard mine yet, so not 100% sure about that one. A gallon takes awhile to get rid of. I assume i'll dispose of it the same way as all my other cleaners, via cleaning my guns.

I would imagine a gallon of Ed's Red isn't even $20 though.

A gallon of mpro-7 lasts me at least 5 years. $70/5 = $14. If I used Ed's red at the same rate, that would be $4 per year. So in exchange for exposing myself to kerosene and acetone, I'd safe myself enough for a six-pack of good beer and change per year.

Wow, what a bargain [rolleyes]

A gallon of mpro-7 lasts me at least 5 years. $70/5 = $14. If I used Ed's red at the same rate, that would be $4 per year. So in exchange for exposing myself to kerosene and acetone, I'd safe myself enough for a six-pack of good beer and change per year.

Wow, what a bargain [rolleyes]

Use it or not, your reasons are your own. The ingredients are available for anyone if you want to make some yourself. Mpro7 in my opinion is one of the best cleaners on the market. Ed's Red will work too though.

Keep in mind, everday you expose yourself to thousands of pounds of metal hurling itself around going 40-50mph. Stick to the sidewalk and you'll be alright!

The average human being absorbs more toxic chemicals into their body every day than what a few cleaning sessions of Ed's Red will give you.
Acetone for one is the main ingredient in nail polish remover and millions of women every day handle it bare handed. Never mind the toxins you are exposed to just by driving and eating take out food.
Many gun cleaning chemicals are worse such as Gun Scrubber which will get you F&^%ed Up! Plus lets not forget as shooters we are dealing with lead.[thinking]
Using Ed's Red to clean guns is just fine as long as you're in a ventilated area and use solvent resistant gloves if you're worried about your skin.

I make mine minus the Acetone, because that stuff is terrible for you, and in my opinion is too aggressive and unnecessary. You can make a gallon for cheap, and it works just as well as commercial stuff for all you DIY guys.

Acetone is hell on plastics too, so if you do use acetone, be careful to keep plastic parts away!

Aren't you the guy with the meth lab? [smile]

disposal

The formula as mentioned can be used for a long time. Let the solids go
to the bottom of the container and keep on using it. on occasion if you
use the acetone you may want to add more, it can evaporate quickly.

the other solvents in the recipe will take a very long time to evaporate.

JimB

Aren't you the guy with the meth lab? [smile]

Well, my wife has been telling me the bedroom is getting a little messy.

Bedroom.jpg

Hmm, at least I think that woman is my wife...

Acetone will not be stopped by latex gloves, it passes through them even more easily than through your skin. Since they inhibit the evaporation of the solvent that gets inside it will be held there until absorbed in to your skin. There are solvent proof gloves made of Nitrile or other materials.

What I was taught in art college is that the biggest danger from acetone is not the solvent itself but the fact that it can carry heavy metals through your skin that would otherwise be blocked out. Cadmium or lead paint on your hand isn't a big deal until you try to wash it off with acetone, at which point you just got heavy metal poisoning. A single instance of low dose poisoning isn't a big deal, but chronic low dose poisoning raises a lot of significant health risks. I'm not saying don't use acetone, just use ventilation and proper gloves when you do.

Back
Top Bottom