Editorial at Survival Blog a buddy wrote

Getting Home In The Event Of An EMP- Part 1, by B.M. - SurvivalBlog.com

No, it isn't me. Dammit. It's a friend of mine.

We did discuss this before he wrote it, so I did have some inputs into the final product. I, for one, thought 2 days was optimistic, but doable with enough motivation.

Anyway, he's trying to win swag, I'm looking for constructive criticism. It's not a survive the TEOTWAWKI, it's his thoughts about getting home when the lights go out.

I read this last week when it was posted. I thought it was a pretty good article. The only criticism I have has already been mentioned by others, and that is with a sawyer filter you are able to gather water and bring it with you, instead of a life straw, where you need to find a water source every time you want to drink.

I read this last week when it was posted. I thought it was a pretty good article. The only criticism I have has already been mentioned by others, and that is with a sawyer filter you are able to gather water and bring it with you, instead of a life straw, where you need to find a water source every time you want to drink.

You can always take water that needs filtering with you. Will read article soon.

Be "The Gray Man" and the World will walk right past you...

Good advice in blog. I'd ad, throw a shiny, new Hard Hat, Reflective Vest, Safety glasses and a clip board in your vehicle.
Sometimes looking semi-official will get you past nitwits...

Be "The Gray Man" and the World will walk right past you...

Good advice in blog. I'd ad, throw a shiny, new Hard Hat, Reflective Vest, Safety glasses and a clip board in your vehicle.
Sometimes looking semi-official will get you past nitwits...

We discussed this, topped off with having a 'friend' in the local power company 'loan' you a shirt to throw in your get home bag. Someone starts to bother you, just say "I'm on my way to XX station to get the lights turned back on".

so for the walking part....I am not 50 miles away so that would not pertain to me. Most of the rest would....But staying in shape is crucial. Most recently like two weeks ago I started a steps challenge for work...incidentally Vaseline is better to relieve chaffing.

So a three day total and I was done at the end of each day....day one 22 miles...day two 20 miles....day three 11 miles...

That was a cold start. So from a cold start it would take me three days to walk a 50 mile distance.

Stay in shape (start now)....be able to walk a marathon each day for two days to cover that ground because that is what it is. Keep in mind I encountered none of the interference that was discussed. And I did not have to look for or carry a lot water which is crucial to making that trek.

In fairness I was not under pressure nor was there any adrenaline rush. So not sure how that might assist in covering more ground in the same time.

Against me...I did not do it in hiking boots or dress shoes. I wore running shoes...sneakers to us older folks. So if I get caught without the right equipment that could be a problem.

Another thing you could do but it would draw attention is carry a portable bicycle in your trunk. You could get home before anyone realized what was going on and what you are doing.

I've never understood why people don't put a few packets of freeze dried coffee in their GHB. Mine has about 10 of them, plus packets of sugar.

Next important low weight item: about 20 tylenol and 20 advil. You're an idiot if you think that you're not going to hurt after trying to trek 20 miles+

I also put some 'stay awake' caffeine pills in. If I'm just a handful of miles from my objective, I'll sleep when I get there.

2 pairs of socks. Trust me, you'll be thankful.

Moleskin. Blisters are coming. Be prepared.

May we never need them.

Vaseline is better to relieve chaffing.

I concur.
Petroleum jelly makes an excellent fire accelerant on wet tinder too, and chap lip treatment, and field expedient lubricant, and ...

Get water bottle style filters instead of straws, Berkey makes one that filters metals as well as bacteria.

I think a vehicle killing EMP is most likely science fiction, but a government shutdown or rationing of gas purchases is conceivable. Act fast if there’s any kind of disaster, banking crisis is probably the most likely. I think we’re more likely to experience the CCs and ATMs getting shut down than an EMP.

Get water bottle style filters instead of straws, Berkey makes one that filters metals as well as bacteria.

I think a vehicle killing EMP is most likely science fiction, but a government shutdown or rationing of gas purchases is conceivable. Act fast if there’s any kind of disaster, banking crisis is probably the most likely. I think we’re more likely to experience the CCs and ATMs getting shut down than an EMP.

The reason most of 'us' talk about the EMP style event is the fact that it is the ultimate SHTF situation. It is immediate and unknown shut down of everything. No money, no fuel, no electricity unless you prepare blindly for it. A banking disaster lingers over weeks or months. A hurricane, you have a week or so to prepare. Even Katrina only really butchered one city. "Government shutdowns" don't ever really happen, anyone important still reports to work and hopes to get paid. I remember the 70's fuel embargo, it was a pain in the butt, but manageable. My parents commuted to work in downtown from the burbs in very inefficient vehicles.

The reason most of 'us' talk about the EMP style event is the fact that it is the ultimate SHTF situation. It is immediate and unknown shut down of everything. No money, no fuel, no electricity unless you prepare blindly for it. A banking disaster lingers over weeks or months. A hurricane, you have a week or so to prepare. Even Katrina only really butchered one city. "Government shutdowns" don't ever really happen, anyone important still reports to work and hopes to get paid. I remember the 70's fuel embargo, it was a pain in the butt, but manageable. My parents commuted to work in downtown from the burbs in very inefficient vehicles.

Yeah but a more likely scenario is a financial crisis causes the government to shut down the entire system, this will happen in hours. So no CC, ATMs and all your accounts will be frozen. Good reason to have cash and guns cause the Bernie constituents will be out there rioting in force.

Yeah but a more likely scenario is a financial crisis causes the government to shut down the entire system, this will happen in hours. So no CC, ATMs and all your accounts will be frozen. Good reason to have cash and guns cause the Bernie constituents will be out there rioting in force.

I'd agree it's more likely, but you'd still have coms, some transportation, and I doubt they'd kill credit cards. I could see the banks shutting down due to lack of paper cash if there was a run on the banks. I still think there would be at least 'some' warning also. Even during the '08 crash, not enough people ran to grab cash (probably because everyone is so far in debt) to cause a banking crash like you are talking about.

It's what this forum is about, brainstorming. My buddy is submitting another editorial that will probably get a lot more flack: How to get home from 800 miles away. My opinion is the chances are highly unlikely you'll make it home, even if you are a GreenSealForce type. Just way too much to overcome to walk 800 miles. Society has changed too much from the 1800s when people routinely traveled those distances on foot/horse.

Back
Top Bottom