Editor of Popular Mechanics insults Vietnam Veterans!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
In the October 2010 edition of Popular Mechanics magazine,
Editor-In Chief Jim Meigs made the following statement!

"Every general-in fact, every lieutenant and captain-worth his brass has studied why Rommel lost in Africa, Lee at Gettysburg, and the U.S in Vietnam"

I was in my doctors office the other day, and picked up that issue...

(The first thing I noticed was that he didn't use capital letters for General, Lieutenant or Captain......obviously he has never served in the Military.)

I got pissed when I read that.....so I decided to send a email to Popular Mechanics.

Her is what I wrote to them.......

I just threw your magazine in the trash, and will never read it again!

Your Editor-In-Chief has insulted every one of us who served in Vietnam by comparing us to losers like
General Rommel and General Lee!

We did not lose the war in Vietnam!

It was people like Walter Cronkite that defeated us, and people like Jim Meigs that portray us as losers!

Kim Rowland
22 Thomas Street, Apt #4
Mansfield MA 02048
(774) 219-4405

I have not received an answer yet.....don't think I ever will either.

But it really pisses me off when people in this country say we lost the war in Vietnam.

It's like saying that all of us that served in Vietnam lost the war!

We didn't lose, in fact we kicked ass in every battle...from Tet of 68 to Cambodia in 1970!

But our government was swayed more by the "coward Hippies", and they decided to pull out and become cowards!

And now we Vietnam Veterans have to take the guilt for "losing the war"

And they wonder why we are so pissed off!

END OF RANT!

The guy's a tool and ought to stick with his gadgets. Why he's allowed to take a once great magazine and turn it into a political platform for his own grandstanding is ludicrous. Putting General Rommel, General Lee, and Vietnam in the same sentence has zero merit.

Did you really want to include your address and number in that post?

Sure. why not? Popular Mechanics demanded that I provide it to write a letter to the editor!

(I ain't hiding from anybody!)[rofl][rofl]

Hell, I want to debate this idiot on Good Morning America!.......I ain't "skeered o nobody!"

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Last edited:
Hmm, Let's see, Rommel lost because he over extended himself and did not receive support from his leadership, Lee lost because he was overwhelmed and his logistics could not support required military actions, and we lost Vietnam because leadership adopted an attrition strategy that the enemy could keep up with long after the US lost the willpower to fight.

Of the three, Vietnam is unique in that the side which lost maintained overwhelming military superiority and capability to win the war throughout...this was an unconventional war.

So yes, every officer candidate studies why the US lost the Vietnam war, but the US is the entire nation, not just military. No one seriously lays guilt for our loss on the troops anymore.. it is universally understood that poor leadership was the root cause. And giving credit where credit is due, the leadership problems existed long before the Hippies took to the streets.

Last edited:
Vietnam involved multiple strategies, not simply attrition warfare. I had a couple of buddies who served in Civil Action units that involved the "hearts and minds" strategy. And Kim is correct, we did not lose battles on the ground. The troops and leadership, for the most part, was very good. Most of the senior leadership of all the services had been junior officers in WW2, so they knew what combat was like. The failings were entirely here on the home front. They were failings of the politicians primarily. My favorite gaffe is the fact that all major bombing missions had to be coordinated out of the White House. WTF??

Hmm, Let's see, Rommel lost because he over extended himself and did not receive support from his leadership, Lee lost because he was overwhelmed and his logistics could not support required military actions, and we lost Vietnam because leadership adopted an attrition strategy that the enemy could keep up with long after the US lost the willpower to fight.

Of the three, Vietnam is unique in that the side which lost maintained overwhelming military superiority and capability to win the war throughout...this was an unconventional war.

So yes, every officer candidate studies why the US lost the Vietnam war, but the US is the entire nation, not just military. No one seriously lays guilt for our loss on the troops anymore.. it is universally understood that poor leadership was the root cause. And giving credit where credit is due, the leadership problems existed long before the Hippies took to the streets.

Sure. why not? Popular Mechanics demanded that I provide it to write a letter to the editor!

(I ain't hiding from anybody!)[rofl][rofl]

Hell, I want to debate this idiot on Good Morning America!.......I ain't "skeered o nobody!"

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

OK, just checking...

You are an idiot......and obviously never served in Vietnam. Because if you did, you would no better than post bullshit like that!

I NEVER SHOULD HAVE STARTED THIS THREAD........BECAUSE IT'S OBVIOUS THAT NOBODY UNDERSTANDS WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY!

IT'S MY FAULT....F*** IT!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been reading popular mechanics for the last 10 years and never got the "leftist" vibe from it.

Mike

I know that in the past that they've been very pro-gun/2nd amendment (can't say what their current position is, or Meigs).

There were a few threads making the rounds on other firearms related forums supporting PM, when they caught some flak from anti-gun subscribers expressing their dismay and anger because PM ran gun realated articles.

The editors pretty much told them to go pound sand.

Never got the feeling they were biased either way, but havnt read in some time, typically only when im sitting in a waiting room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom