Eddystone bent firing pin

Picked up a 1917 Eddystone "Project Rifle". Now I have a box of parts and a stack of furniture.

Bolt needed replacing, but trying to save the firing pin. The pin has a 20 degree bend in it about 1/4" from the end that strikes the primer.

Any suggestions for straightening it out? My first guess is to heat it red, straighten it out and then cool it in motor oil.

My 1944 K98 Mauser had a bent firing pin. The rifle would still fire, but very shallow hits. The bolt matched save the safety so I wanted to keep it. I used the avil part of my vise and a mason's square hammer, and ever so lightly began tapping. The bend was 10 degrees, and I reduced it to about 2-3. All I did was remove what was left of the bluing and it has worked fine ever since.

I also had a firiing pin from a 1916 Danzig Gew98 fail at the range; the entire tip just disappeared. Too bad as the rifle had 20 matching parts. I ordered one from Numrich, and save a little Dremel action to get it into the cocking piece, has worked fine. As a bonus, the serial # of 33 was real close to the original of 88 if you squint. Only draw back is the safety is now stiff as opposed to beautifully broken in.

MS

Since a new one is available, I would go new. However, any time I have a mechanical failure, I don't assume its metal fatigue. Many times there is something else broken or misaligned that caused it. I just replaced a broken firing pin and found that the spring was broken, which was shocking the pin. After replacing the pin and spring, it now looks like the real culprit is some misaligned machining. The hole for the pin is not centered in the firing pin bore so when the pin moves forward, it binds a little. This bends the pin a bit and rubs the spring against the chamber.

Back
Top Bottom