• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Eddie Coyle's GOAL article

I agree, a great article.[thumbsup][thumbsup]

Something that would compliment it would be to do the same experiment using Wolf steel .45acp cases to see any differences.

I know there are people who won't allow their gun/s in the same room with steel cased ammunition and that's ok, it just means there's more cheap shooting for those who use it.

Why reload steel cased? So you can leave it behind at competitions, or in the winter snow.[wink]

informative. for years and years i just shot my .45's until the case mouth split then tossed 'em at that point. next .45 session i'll need to re-evaluate that strategy, do some inspections, i know i have some brass that's pretty battered on the bottom. probably way shorter than they should be.

Great read. EC, any plans to continue this line of testing on other calibers? I think it would be a pretty interesting series to cover some of the most common calibers.

Great read. EC, any plans to continue this line of testing on other calibers? I think it would be a pretty interesting series to cover some of the most common calibers.

Thanks!

Yes I do. I'm going to do 9mm, small primer .45 ACP, and a couple of others in the near future.

BTW - There's a typo in the article. the text says 0.833", but it should be 0.883" (the graph is correct though).

Great read as usual.

I wonder if Starline would be interested in your experiments? I get emails from them once in awhile about reloading tips etc. So I was curious if they may be interested in sharing your experiments using their brass?

Maybe they'll send you free brass[laugh]. I'm sure you're really lacking brass.....

Last edited:
I really enjoyed this article as well. As I'm sure most of us were, I was surprised how well the case mouth retained its integrity. It definitely makes sense how the case head and the extractor groove would take the beating considering the operation of the pistol, I wonder how it would differ if they were fired from a revolver.

....Yes I do. I'm going to do 9mm, small primer .45 ACP, and a couple of others in the near future.....
just sayin' jim, want to put a bug in your ear, i'd love to see something like this with .357 sig and 10mm. two loads i'm shooting a lot of and using starline as well. yes, i know not a "common caliber" but.....

Nice article and cool experiment. I'm also surprised by the result, but it backs up my practice of culling cases when the head stamps become faint. I expect a lighter charge would lead to less case head shrinkage. I also wonder if this doesn't mean most reloaders are belling too much, overworking the case mouth leading to splits sooner, or if starling really is that much better.

Thanks!

Yes I do. I'm going to do 9mm, small primer .45 ACP, and a couple of others in the near future.

BTW - There's a typo in the article. the text says 0.833", but it should be 0.883" (the graph is correct though).

Now you have me wondering .... I have .40 brass that has been loaded > 30 times. Off the the reloading bench with the calipers and micrometers tonight.

Nice job EC...I have some .45 auto cases that have reloaded a dozen times or so. I never thought to check the actual length of the case because I was always told that a straight wall case doesn't lengthen...I never considered that it might actually shorten. I will need to check the cases I have that have been reloaded many times....

Great article. It is very interesting that the only failure after that many reloads was the shortening of the case at the head and the primer pocket shortened.

I observed the changes in 45 ACP cases that I fired many times and found that the base of the case above the extractor groove thickened measurably as the length decreased. I think some of this is caused by brass flow; the case expanding in the direction of least resistance, the throating in the chamber. Another source of this brass movement is most likely the resizing die. Another deformation occurred which I can't explain. In over used cases the primer pocket actually became the highest point f the case head as the rim curled up towards the case mouth.

Great read as usual.

I wonder if Starline would be interested in your experiments? I get emails from them once in awhile about reloading tips etc. So I was curious if they may be interested in sharing your experiments using their brass?

Maybe they'll send you free brass[laugh]. I'm sure you're really lacking brass.....
Funny I just saw this in my Facebook newsfeed. Starline and the official USPSA page posted Jim’s article earlier today.
815099FF-06B5-49A1-A862-D57DD29C73C4.png

Back
Top Bottom