• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EDC - where do you put all this stuff??

For those that want to travel light ditch your knife for a multitool. Probably a bit heavier, but takes up about as much pocket space and is way more functional than a dedicated blade.

Your suggestion for traveling light is to carry something heavier? Didn't really think that one through, did ya? [laugh]

Your suggestion for traveling light is to carry something heavier? Didn't really think that one through, did ya? [laugh]
I now realize the error of my ways.[wink]

I suppose the point I was trying to get across is that the capabilities you get from a little extra weight in a good multitool are worth a little extra weight, to the point where I find instances where I carry a leatherman and no dedicated blade sometimes - usually when I'm trying to reduce space and weight. Sometimes the knife stays home instead of the multitool.

Pistol IWB strong side 8 o'clock position. Keys front left pocket. Wallet and pepper spray front right pocket. Cell phone left rear pocket. Flashlight on belt holster.

Do you even EDC bro?

9D0FEE8B-E427-42F8-96A4-177D81133121_zpsonc3aoxv.jpg

That whistling sound you heard? That was my point sailing over your head. The likelihood of dealing with a gunshot is minuscule compared to that of dealing with a MV accident. Also, the guy who carries a pistol on their belt, then wants to use that belt as a tourniquet will be the one waving his gun around at an accident scene.
ok, i'll go and unpunch those extra holes in my belt/turniquet because the chances of needing it in a gun fight are lower than needing it to save my or someone elses life in some type of bleeding accident. makes perfect sense not to have it. [rolleyes]

For those that want to travel light ditch your knife for a multitool. Probably a bit heavier, but takes up about as much pocket space and is way more functional than a dedicated blade.
that would be trading an effective weapon for a toolkit. i like the idea of having a serious knife for CQC if for some reason the gun is a no go.

that would be trading an effective weapon for a toolkit. i like the idea of having a serious knife for CQC if for some reason the gun is a no go.
I wouldn't argue with that point. On a practical level though I find myself needing a tool kit more often than a weapon. There are times to make that kind of compromise, but to each his own.

I now realize the error of my ways.[wink]

I suppose the point I was trying to get across is that the capabilities you get from a little extra weight in a good multitool are worth a little extra weight, to the point where I find instances where I carry a leatherman and no dedicated blade sometimes - usually when I'm trying to reduce space and weight. Sometimes the knife stays home instead of the multitool.

That is a good point. The point about it being lighter...not so much. [smile]

Multi-tool definitely gives you more options, but as a EDC, I personally think it fails the weight/usefulness ratio. As something to have handy in your car, office, etc, totally. I can't really think of a time where I'm out and about not at home/work/near car where I'd immediately need something on a multi-tool other than a blade. Or maybe a screwdriver. Which is where my Victorinox Cadet comes in handy. Where that also comes in handy, and does so frequently, is opening beer bottles. [grin]

I wear cargo pants because to me they're more comfortable than jeans, especially at my desk job. I like the deep loose pockets. The cell phone in jeans pockets sucks. I also carry my wallet in my front pocket. Sitting on that for 8 hours isn't good for your back.

Besides key and wallet that nearly every person carries, I carry a gun and a spare mag. Those are the only items that I might need right now and not 30 seconds or a minute from now. Multi-tools, knives, and other odds and ends I leave in my truck. I don't often find myself in situations where I need to cut something or make an on the spot repair. If I were in a really rural area I would probably have a small light on my key chain, but living in suburbia I have enough light to get by. I do have a flashlight in my truck.

I can see keeping a tourniquet in a first aid kit in the truck, but I guess I’ll roll the dice and not carry one on my person. If I’m going to consider every possible eventuality that I could happen. I’d be carrying a full sized ruck everywhere I went. Some carry items venture too far into mall ninja territory for me.

I carried around a leatherman for like 6 months at one point and then ditched it when I realized that I rarely if ever used anything on it. A light, thin, easy to open with one hand knife is a lot more valuable than a clunker like that.

-Mike

I wouldn't argue with that point. On a practical level though I find myself needing a tool kit more often than a weapon. There are times to make that kind of compromise, but to each his own.

There are a few lightweight options in the multitool category to go with if weight is really an issue. I have a Gerber Compact Multi Tool (Bear Grylls promoted) and it has done just okay in the roll. The pliers are just horrible though. Just because of that, I will probably replace it with something else soon. Maybe a Leatherman Squirt PS4 or something. I wish Tekton made a compact multitool.

I also like carrying an assisted knife because it is multi use: I like having it for self defense, but I use it in a work roll as well (not limited to just cutting or slicing either).

Last edited:
I carried around a leatherman for like 6 months at one point and then ditched it when I realized that I rarely if ever used anything on it. A light, thin, easy to open with one hand knife is a lot more valuable than a clunker like that.

-Mike

My multitool gets used mostly in the field and for everything else a small spyderco sees the most use. Unless I am wearing gear multitool becomes to cumbersome.

My multitool gets used mostly in the field and for everything else a small spyderco sees the most use. Unless I am wearing gear multitool becomes to cumbersome.

Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks. I use my Leatherman several times a day, everything from cutting pallet banding to pulling the rack out of the toaster oven after I heat my lunch at work. I almost never use the blade on it though, I go to my pocket folder for that.

Just goes to show, different strokes for different folks. I use my Leatherman several times a day, everything from cutting pallet banding to pulling the rack out of the toaster oven after I heat my lunch at work. I almost never use the blade on it though, I go to my pocket folder for that.

Exactly, it's all based on the situation and daily setting.

-Front right: iPhone & 4" folding knife clipped to the edge of that pocket
-Front left: Leatherman Squirt, Listerine strips, bic, keys with fero steel & Streamlight PT2L Flashlight clipped to the edge
-Back left: Tissues
-Back right: Wallet
-IWB right: G19
-IWB left: G19 spare mag
-Ankle (if wearing long pants): Backup gun

Good amount of stuff but it's not cumbersome at all. I decided a while ago to stop bothering with a full sized multitool, as that was just a bit too much. I keep one in my car. Same goes for pepper spray as it seemed like unneeded bulk. Typically if it's a pepper spray situation you can deescalate or run (or present your firearm as a deterrent here in NH).

I've always found that the knife in most Michael tools is fairly flimsy and a good stout knife is better when you actually want to cut something

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom