• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EDC - where do you put all this stuff??

kalash

NES Member
Reading over the Lowell thread, several people have suggested carrying flashlights and/or spray. Here's what I currently have:

-Cellphone and car keys in front left pocket.
-Key-bar and wallet in front right pocket.
-Knife clipped on the back right pocket.

I feel like I have a ton of stuff with me as it is, yet many of you seem to also pocket-carry a gun, extra magazines/loaders, a flashlight, pepper spray, etc - where do you put it all??

Five days a week I'm in business-casual. Nights and weekends I'm almost always wearing jeans. Definitely not a fan of cargo pants or tacticool 5.11 gear. I've been considering a belt-clip case for my phone, which would free up a pocket.

I carry my phone on a belt clip but I also carry the gun IWB. I carry my extra mag in my back pocket during the summer and in my coat pocket in the winter. I have all pockets full most of the time so the only pocket carry I do is sometimes in my coat pocket.
Front right pocket keys and change, fromt left money, knife and thumb drive, right rear wallet left rear extra mag or other misc items.

I like winter so I have someplace better to keep my keys and extra mag.

Small knife in change pocket w/Jeans
Titan Surefire light on key ring clipped to belt loop then stick in left rear pocket
iPhone front left
Saddle Back Front Pocket ID Wallet in front right & if needed I can fit pepper spray as well
IWB holster 4 o'clock with a good belt

Fanny pack[smile]

No really, I've found that there are certain things I want to have with me at all times, and the most effective way to do that is pants with pockets. Typical for me;
Wallet in back pocket
truck key
holstered pistol
spare mag on belt
phone on a belt clip
light in LH cargo pocket of pants
multitool, pen and RATS Tq in RH cargo pocket.

I wear Vertx pants for the most part, and have found that they give me places to put stuff without being totally tactical timmy.

There are times that I can't carry all that gear, but I try to have it somewhere close, ideally in whatever vehicle is with me.

Reading over the Lowell thread, several people have suggested carrying flashlights and/or spray. Here's what I currently have:

-Cellphone and car keys in front left pocket.
-Key-bar and wallet in front right pocket.
-Knife clipped on the back right pocket.

I feel like I have a ton of stuff with me as it is, yet many of you seem to also pocket-carry a gun, extra magazines/loaders, a flashlight, pepper spray, etc - where do you put it all??

Five days a week I'm in business-casual. Nights and weekends I'm almost always wearing jeans. Definitely not a fan of cargo pants or tacticool 5.11 gear. I've been considering a belt-clip case for my phone, which would free up a pocket.

I mostly wear Affliction jeans, as they are made very durable and are more my style of pant. Outside the range, I hate wearing cargo pants. Besides appendix carrying my PPS and my wallet in my back left jeans pocket...

- I keep my S&W SWAT knife clipped to the inside of my left front pocket.
- My micro multitool and streamlight microstream in my right change pocket.
- I carry a thing of mace in my jacket.
- Was thinking of keeping a wallet sized EDC IFAK in my right back pocket.
- ETA: SHTFGear horizontal spare mag holder left front on belt.

My cell phone and keys go where ever work lol.

Last edited:
You guys are Ranger Rick for God's sakes...

Me - IWB pistol, wallet, keys, and cell phone...

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol well for me, the knife, multitool and flash light have come in handy more times than I can count on all my digits lol.

This. I'm going to be looking at getting or making up a wallet sized "Oh shit kit", but for now, I feel that having a TQ will probably be the one thing that would make a difference in my everyday life is someone is hurt. A tourniquet is one of those things that when you need it, you REALLY need it now.

edc 22 magnum SA revolver front right pocket, SOG folder clipped to front right pocket, wallet and cell left front pocket. getting close to dark, 1000 lumen LED surefire in left front pocket. going into any populated area or store i switch out the 22 for a Kahr cm40 with crimson trace in a pocket holster. need to add a smaller pepper spray than i have in my car to the mix

This. I'm going to be looking at getting or making up a wallet sized "Oh shit kit", but for now, I feel that having a TQ will probably be the one thing that would make a difference in my everyday life is someone is hurt. A tourniquet is one of those things that when you need it, you REALLY need it now.
i bought a quality leather punch tool and put holes in my belt all around. need tourniquet, its right there.

Cargo pants...
Pocket #1/ Leatherman, folding rescue knife, lighter, tactical flashlight
#2/ bg380, pen or two, change
#3/ wallet with mini scissors, credit card kife, solid steel bottle opener
Leg pocket #1/work keys
Leg pocket #2/mace, extra mag, personal keys....

I just get used to having pockets stuffed while working in the field, I'll have on regular cloths, jacket, safety vest.... All with filled pockets

my leatherman stays in the car, because i am not Mcguyver.

- - - Updated - - -

that would temp me to also carry a grenade, sat phone and MREs

If you are going somewhere extra sketchy, like a farmers market or hardware store, you can carry an small EDC bag, I prefer a commuter backpack for that. Then all those necessities like the sat phone can be carried.

For those extreme situations like going to a convinience store at night, you'll want your full sized EDC bag, usually at least a 40L pack.

i bought a quality leather punch tool and put holes in my belt all around. need tourniquet, its right there.

I started with that theory, then I realized that I wear a kydex reinforced belt almost every day. Completely useless as a TQ. You negate this problem with pocket carry, but if I am to take my belt off to use as a TQ, what do I do with my gun? The RATS piece is very small and simple, good insurance.

I don't think some of you guys are thinking far enough into this. If it gets to the point you need a purpose-manufactured tourniquet, it's probably at the point where someone is getting medevaced by help, and nobody has mentioned pyro for signaling. You really think cell phones are going to work at that point? No cell phone, no comms and no more Google maps. Nobody has brought up the need for a quad map and a good old Lensatic compass. What about bicycles? The disturbance in the force is going to render motorized travel impossible, and I haven't heard anyone mention a bicycle tire patch kit and a set of wrenches and spoons.

Back right pocket, wallet. Front right pocket, SAK with attached flash drive, ASP defender spray, Benchmade Stryker and Fenix lights clipped to pocket. When I'm going between the car and somewhere else, I usually stick my smokes and lighter in there. Left front pocket, phone. Left rear pocket, keys. G19 IWB in Foxx holster. I'm a rebel....I don't carry a spare mag. 8-O
It sounds like a lot of crap, but it really isn't. I'm in jeans and a Polo on work days, jeans and a T-shirt on the weekends and I'm not "lumpy". OP, I would suggest carrying some spray. You can find good, compact spray that disappears in your pocket. Always comforting to have. Flashlight is one of those things that you never think about until you start carrying one, then you wonder how you ever did without. Knife is an absolute must. I've carried a knife everyday since I was about nine years old. I can't imagine not having one. It makes me nuts when I see folks ripping at boxes with keys, or opening scissors to try to cut with them. Just carry a freaking pocket knife. My 75 year old mother carries a pocket knife in her purse....lol.

I don't think some of you guys are thinking far enough into this. If it gets to the point you need a purpose-manufactured tourniquet, it's probably at the point where someone is getting medevaced by help, and nobody has mentioned pyro for signaling. You really think cell phones are going to work at that point? No cell phone, no comms and no more Google maps. Nobody has brought up the need for a quad map and a good old Lensatic compass. What about bicycles? The disturbance in the force is going to render motorized travel impossible, and I haven't heard anyone mention a bicycle tire patch kit and a set of wrenches and spoons.

The only things I've added to what I carry around every day in the last few years have been my pistol, and the TQ. The pistol, well, because pistol. The TQ because I have seen accidents(in person and through stories) that have nothing to do with a gunfight, TEOTWAWKI, the force or reptilians, and some of those produced injuries that were fatal due to loss of blood. Loss of blood that might have been stopped by cutting off the flow. Lacerations and punctures, for the most part, can hold on until the EMT gets there, but an arterial bleed probably won't. As DaLucche said, I use my multitool and flashlight almost daily for something or another, so those are must haves.

all my deadly weapons are packed in my pants.

keys, wallet, phone, knife, gun, man-parts.

i can't walk around carrying a whole toolbox, not enough real estate on my belt because i have a pork chop deficiency so i carry just the basics.

I started with that theory, then I realized that I wear a kydex reinforced belt almost every day. Completely useless as a TQ. You negate this problem with pocket carry, but if I am to take my belt off to use as a TQ, what do I do with my gun? The RATS piece is very small and simple, good insurance.
the way i figure if you need the tourniquet the shit has already hit the fan, so i can apply the belt to whatever size and lock it down, the gun is probably in my hands or will be in the next few seconds and i let my pant hang down gangsta style.

the way i figure if you need the tourniquet the shit has already hit the fan, so i can apply the belt to whatever size and lock it down, the gun is probably in my hands or will be in the next few seconds and i let my pant hang down gangsta style.

What's you're gun gonna do for you when you wife/child/brother/some dude you don't even know gets launched through the windshield after you're tboned by a distracted driver? Besides make the police response to the accident very awkward?

Why are you people talking about tourniquets? I have an office job - I use a pocket knife to slice an apple in the morning; might need a flashlight when I drop my keys when I'm getting home; and maybe pepper spray might come in handy on the bus or the T. I don't need a tourniquet [laugh]

you really should not have asked.

LOL, I was waiting for this one while scrolling down through the responses. NES never disappoints...

Sig P220C in a IWB, wallet, cell phone, 2 keys (house & car). I commute on a bike most of the year, so extra crap in backpack. Otherwise extra crap like multitool in truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's you're gun gonna do for you when you wife/child/brother/some dude you don't even know gets launched through the windshield after you're tboned by a distracted driver? Besides make the police response to the accident very awkward?
is that the only scenario that comes to mind for you. i like to plan for various scenarios like a shot to the leg or arm. who would be waving a gun around at an accident scene? [rolleyes]

start off with painter pants.

Pen and knife, bottom right.
flashlight, bottom left.
spare mag, Top left front
cash and keys, top right front.
ID (gun and drivers license, etc), left rear
"other", right rear.

Other:
spare knife. pepperspray, notes, hunting license(s). Location and event dictates this "spare pocket".

I carry most of my stuff on my belt or in cargo pants pockets. One needs to experiment with placement of items. I carry my P938 in my left locket, big folder clipped on to my right pocket, pepper spray on my belt(right side) next to my extra mag, flashlight on right side as well. I also carry other assorted items in my left side cargo pocket in a edc orgnizer.

I am right hand dominant. I always carry pepper spray accessible to my non-dominant hand.

Gun- IWB 5:00ish
Wallet and comb - right rear
Vehicle key - right front ( I keep my vehicle key separate from the rest which stay in the car.
EDC knife - right front
Phone - left rear
Spare mag - left rear (winter it goes in my left coat)
Pepper spray - left front (winter it goes in my left coat)

Back
Top Bottom