EDC What's your go to ?

Not saying you can't carry something smaller.. What I am saying is manual of arms, grips angle, and sights etc....I would want to be the same on all my carry/competition/duty guns. IE I compete with a 1911.. so I'm not gonna carry a DA/SA decocker pistol. Im gonna carry a smaller lighter 1911.

Just pointing out to guys on here if your serious about CC then you should at least keep the manual of arms and grip angle the same.. even same sights. When guys always have a different rig on I feel like its more like a fashion accessory for them.. that's what watches are for [wink]

I disagree. Different tools are appropriate for different tasks and applications. Some times you need a sledge hammer and sometimes a tack hammer. I carry the same two guns 85% of the time, but when the occasions call for it, I have other options and I am very confident that I could use any firearm I chose to carry effectively. If not, why buy it?

Fencer, I conceptually agree with MMArtist.

I own a Kahr P380, because it and the Sig 238 are the best shooting "Always" guns you can buy. By Always guns, I mean guns so small there is no situation where you can't carry and conceal them comfortably.

Every other carry gun I own is a Glock. Their triggers are all pretty much the same. The kahr isn't the same but its very similar.

It makes things very simple for a guy like me who isn't terribly bright.

I'm not saying I couldnt usa any other firearm. I know I could. But I'm instinctive and pretty fast with these guns. The fewer I have to learn the better.

Not saying you can't carry something smaller.. What I am saying is manual of arms, grips angle, and sights etc....I would want to be the same on all my carry/competition/duty guns. IE I compete with a 1911.. so I'm not gonna carry a DA/SA decocker pistol. Im gonna carry a smaller lighter 1911.

Just pointing out to guys on here if your serious about CC then you should at least keep the manual of arms and grip angle the same.. even same sights. When guys always have a different rig on I feel like its more like a fashion accessory for them.. that's what watches are for [wink]

I agree with this, and is really how I've tried to frame up my pistol approach. As far as work goes, we carry M&P's... but I should have some influence in our next pistol review. I think the idea of grip, point-ability, and timing shooting at speed are all important. If a person doesn't shoot a ton, they may not notice the difference between carrying different pistols, but I can honestly say that when I'm in a good training cycle, I notice those tiny differences if I've been shooting my work gun exclusively.

I'm rambling, and it probably doesn't make sense, but it's my experience. If you are carrying because you are mentally prepared to get into a fight, I think those things matter. I can't imagine someone making the same argument about carrying a whole bunch of different knives in different places based on their mood, and thinking they are going to employ each one as effective as the other.

And I love watches. :) so that scratches that itch.

I'm trying to think of a martial arts parallel to this, and maybe it would be something like a person who rolls exclusively with GI's, and never spends any time rolling No Gi? Is there a better analogy MMAartist?

Last edited:
Glock 26 was produced in Aug 1994 which is why preban mags (although very scarce) do exist. You'll see that the preban G19 and preban G26 have the 9mm stamped in the same location while the G17 mag on the right is stamped higher as all other postban mags are stamped.
e696b9bc76845cfa3e3c09acff25dd33.jpg

b910c01ed05130e14e161d31b3655e0a.jpg

7c0bc88d2e1ddf6a220b7482752b88b6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

i didn't know you were given a letter by glock stating that low marking = preban and high marking = postban..

there are plenty of pre ban's that have high markings.

I own a Kahr P380, because it and the Sig 238 are the best shooting "Always" guns you can buy. By Always guns, I mean guns so small there is no situation where you can't carry and conceal them comfortably.

Every other carry gun I own is a Glock. Their triggers are all pretty much the same. The kahr isn't the same but its very similar.

I'm not saying I couldnt usa any other firearm. I know I could. But I'm instinctive and pretty fast with these guns. The fewer I have to learn the better.

Don, I agree with what you are saying but my "Always" gun is a PM-9 and most of the time I carry a Sig. But when I holster a Sunday, go to church 1911 or a revolver, I don't feel uncomfortable at all.

And I think you are pulling my leg. I bet you would be fine with just about anything that has a trigger, with your experience.

My "always" gun is a P229. A bit heavy but appendix conceals it well with a stiff belt. I would like to find something slimmer for the summer and in search of a good deal on a surplus P6...

I agree with this, and is really how I've tried to frame up my pistol approach. As far as work goes, we carry M&P's... but I should have some influence in our next pistol review. I think the idea of grip, point-ability, and timing shooting at speed are all important. If a person doesn't shoot a ton, they may not notice the difference between carrying different pistols, but I can honestly say that when I'm in a good training cycle, I notice those tiny differences if I've been shooting my work gun exclusively.

I'm rambling, and it probably doesn't make sense, but it's my experience. If you are carrying because you are mentally prepared to get into a fight, I think those things matter. I can't imagine someone making the same argument about carrying a whole bunch of different knives in different places based on their mood, and thinking they are going to employ each one as effective as the other.

And I love watches. :) so that scratches that itch.

I'm trying to think of a martial arts parallel to this, and maybe it would be something like a person who rolls exclusively with GI's, and never spends any time rolling No Gi? Is there a better analogy MMAartist?

I mean it just makes sense...

You put in a ton of practice with your handgun of choice. You know that weapon system well, why would you carry something completely different? Maybe it has to be smaller to conceal.. ok, I get that, but it should be the same manual of arms, grip angle, sights etc. or all that practice is kind of wasted.

Perfect example... I run a 1911 in USPSA Production Single Stack. I have been competing off and on for quite a while and I would say I am pretty proficient (Ranked in A currently). So one day I felt like running my buddies Sig 226 in Production class for fun. I figure Ill be fine cause I've prolly got 5k rounds through Sigs at the range. I go to hit a slide lock reload, which would take me about 1.0-1.2secs on my 1911. Well the mag comes out.. new mag goes in pretty much the same, but the slide release on a 1911 is where the decocker on a Sig is. So I hit the decocker.. nothing happens. Then am like "ah wtf" now I hit the slide release but it has already turned into a big mess and that reload ended up being like 4.0secs. Which just blows the whole stage. (And for everyone about to talk about slingshot slide releasing.. its too slow for competition.)

So with a little bit of stress your tendency for failure goes up.. ad something your not familiar with and it goes up more. If I am being rushed with a knife or shot at my stress is gonna be WAY up.. I want something in my hand that I am VERY familiar with or the chance it doesn't go my way increases dramatically. Anyone who says different is kidding himself.

As far as a martial art reference I think sparring right handed fighters all the time at practice when your fight is against a lefty would be a good analogy. The gi one is pretty good too.. the guys who roll in a gi for a fight where your not gonna be wearing anything but shorts makes no sense to me...

So yeah, I just think you pick a gun model that is proven and run it,carry it, compete with it if you can... save the variety for dating [wink].

Last edited:
My EDC is either berretta 92fs or Ruger SR1911. Know I'm prob in minority of people who prefer full size. Small compacts just don't feel right (almost uncomfortable) in my hands.

i didn't know you were given a letter by glock stating that low marking = preban and high marking = postban..

there are plenty of pre ban's that have high markings.
My letter from Glock must've got lost in the mail along with your letter from the King making you "Queen Bee". While your statement of high stamped prebans may be the case, I'll stick to what I know for sure are prebans...

I agree with the general philosophy here. I carry a Kahr PM9 as my "Always" gun. Right in the pocket, perfect fit in jeans, dress pants, and shorts. Even my sweatpants for around the house carry.

If I'm going to carry something larger, it's my H&K VP9. The trigger pulls are both very similar (aside from the trigger safety on the VP9, which is really a non-issue) and both use the same ammunition with similar feel when shooting. The only thing I haven't done yet is knock the factory sights off the PM9 and replace them with same style of night sights as I have on my VP9. I see a lot of benefit to having the same sight profile on all your guns. It means just one less thing to think about if you ever need to use it under stress.

My letter from Glock must've got lost in the mail along with your letter from the King making you "Queen Bee". While your statement of high stamped prebans may be the case, I'll stick to what I know for sure are prebans...

Could I see a pic of the front of the magazines for reference? Thanks

Glock themselves even has conflicting info on when production began on the 26.

Screenshot_2017_01_04_at_6_47_12_PM.png

Screenshot_2017_01_04_at_6_46_38_PM.png
I saw the same on their site when I looked it up the other day. I will be calling Glock tomorrow to get clarification on this once and for all. I'll keep you all posted.

Dnizzle don't make blanket statements on what is pre-ban or not then, don't blame me because you didn't read the "glock are they pre-ban" threads here. all that does is perpetuate falsehoods..

goes along the line of a dealer telling me "glocks are illegal in the state of Massachusetts" once

Read:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/4944-MA-Identifying-Pre-Ban-Glock-Mags

Take Len's advice if you want saying you feel comfortable with only low marked magazines etc.
To Quote Len:
"For the truly paranoid, the only safe mags are 10 rds or less.

For the slightly less paranoid, they only feel safe with U-notch or square-notch standard sized pre-bans. "

If you can 100% tell pre-ban from post-ban Glock mags, Glock USA has a job for you . . . because even they can not tell with absolute certainty!! That's a fact you can take to the bank. [Exceptions are metal front cut-out or dual mag release indentations. Those are all definitely post-ban.]

Last edited:
Dnizzle don't make blanket statements on what is pre-ban or not then, don't blame me because you didn't read the "glock are they pre-ban" threads here. all that does is perpetuate falsehoods..

goes along the line of a dealer telling me "glocks are illegal in the state of Massachusetts" once

Read:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/4944-MA-Identifying-Pre-Ban-Glock-Mags

Take Len's advice if you want saying you feel comfortable with only low marked magazines etc.
To Quote Len:
"For the truly paranoid, the only safe mags are 10 rds or less.

For the slightly less paranoid, they only feel safe with U-notch or square-notch standard sized pre-bans. "

If you can 100% tell pre-ban from post-ban Glock mags, Glock USA has a job for you . . . because even they can not tell with absolute certainty!! That's a fact you can take to the bank. [Exceptions are metal front cut-out or dual mag release indentations. Those are all definitely post-ban.]
I'm going to be pretty pissed at the FFL (will remain unamed) that sold this to me as a "preban" 26 mag if I'm able to verify it is not...

i agree its pre-ban as I follow the rule of No LEO only, and no Ambi cut = are preban because glock cannot tell you what is or is not preban without those features.

why did you pay more? either way preban/Post 26 10 rounder is worth 20 bucks
I didn't pay more, I paid $22. What I meant was, he swore up and down it was preban and so I bought in confidence expecting to slap on the +3 extension and be set to go.

Nice Dnizzle80. Looks like you have a unicorn preban glock 26 mag with the non ambi cut. Thanks for sharing

That's a pre ban magazine for sure. The only problem is I don't see the point it holds 10 rounds without an extension anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct, but because it's pre-ban, I can add and extension to it and is how I can carry 13+1...unless of course I'm mistaken there as well QueenBee?

i agree its pre-ban as I follow the rule of No LEO only, and no Ambi cut = are preban because glock cannot tell you what is or is not preban without those features.
Now I hope we can kiss and makeup?? Muah muah...lol. Thanks for the "preban" link...I'll have to read through that when I have more time.

Back
Top Bottom