EDC! Show Us Yours!

So what's the deal with the Kershaw-Emersons? Kershaw got the licenses to clone/copy Emersons, or was there an actual collaboration and design input?

And what does "wave" refer to? I feel like I'm missing a trend, though that's not unusual.
Lol. If you look at its shape, it looks like a "cresting wave"...

1606694456629.png

Last edited:
The circled part is the wave feature. When clipped to your pocket, this hooks onto your pocket and allows the knife to open as you pull it out. So it’s a fast way to draw and have it ready. It works well!

View attachment 417031View attachment 417031

I had to look it up myself. Is it a “special occasions” deployment option or just the regular way to do it? It looks like it would be rough on pockets.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0o4cYU4OGk

Same principle as on the hook on my Karambit (pic above). The loop & the hook are designed for one handed rapid deployment opening bottles, no springs needed. It’s drawn by putting the index finger in the loop and pulling upwards, it hooks and opens w the blade pointing down.

Last edited:
So what's the deal with the Kershaw-Emersons? Kershaw got the licenses to clone/copy Emersons, or was there an actual collaboration and design input?
I believe Ernest Emerson designed them for Kershaw to produce. A cheaper, mass produced knife for fans of Emerson who aren’t gonna drop Emerson money on a knife.
And what does "wave" refer to? I feel like I'm missing a trend, though that's not unusual.
I had to look it up myself. Is it a “special occasions” deployment option or just the regular way to do it? It looks like it would be rough on pockets.
It catches on the corner of your pocket if you push back as you pull out. You carry these knives tip up and it opens them real quick, even faster than an auto. It doesn’t wear the pants any more than the pocket clip does, as far as I can tell. I carried this knife or a similar kershaw/emerson with a wave for years and never noticed an issue.

I use it every time I use my knife because it fells natural at this point. Unless I’m trying to take it out for the night, or to hand to someone, etc, I flip it open on the draw.

Unfortunately I think the wave is illegal in ma. But what is not?

I have a ZT 0620 with the wave, great knife.
Never heard that, why would it be illegal? It’s not assisted opening, no spring or anything of the sort. Any knife with a thumb stud will do it if you pull it right.

Never heard that, why would it be illegal? It’s not assisted opening, no spring or anything of the sort. Any knife with a thumb stud will do it if you pull it right.

I don't have the cite, but I think it says something like "allows it to be drawn in the open position".

Found this quickly

At a Glance:
The body of Massachusetts law concerning knives is not easily capsulized. The primary statute regarding the possession and carrying of knives, found at 269 § 10 sub-section (b), is a single sentence consisting of almost 400 words. It states that one may not “carry on his person” – including in a vehicle – any: stiletto, dagger, ballistic knife, dirk knife, automatic knife having a blade longer than one and a half (1 ½) inches, knife with a double-edged blade, or device which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position. This list of knives may be referred to as the per se or “by definition” prohibited knives, although there are no statutory definitions.

ETA: lower in the above link, so maybe not. But we all know how the laws are interpreted here

Blade Drawn at Open and Locked Position
Massachusetts prohibits the carry of any device which allows a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at the locked position. This was evidently intended to proscribe quick draw sheaths marketed for manually opened lock-blade knives such as the iconic Buck Model 110. While such “quick draw” devices have become uncommon, Massachusetts prosecuting officials have attempted to apply this prohibition to one-hand manual knives with “thumb studs” as well as “butterfly” knives without any associated sheath or other device!

I think a device is a separate item, not a blade feature... But I'm just a commoner...

...or device which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position.

1606761642418.png1606761753647.png1606761866113.png

Always thought it to mean a "Quickdraw" sheath (as you posted above) that opens a folder for you when drawing from the sheath.
Popular with Southwest bikers back in the day. Not great for blade edge though...

Thumb studs, that’s retarded.
So anything besides a nail nick isn’t legal? Rediculous.
People with no knowledge write laws based in fear.
Once again, piece of leather is a no no, not ever, but this 33 round mag with hollow points is A-OK.

much like bump stocks, i can replicate that buck sheath with a belt loop. We gonna ban those next?

There was some discussion about manual folders being classified as gravity knives/switchblades if they could be opened with a flick of the wrist. It's a rare thing to find a knife that can't be opened this way.

There was some discussion about manual folders being classified as gravity knives/switchblades if they could be opened with a flick of the wrist. It's a rare thing to find a knife that can't be opened this way.
A lot of my knives have tight retention but after a long time of use they polish out and can be opened with a flick.

Are small fixed blades illegal to carry? Because those deploy the actual blade faster than any wave, gravity knife, switchblade, stilletto, thumb stud, or assisted opening device.

It is illegal to get arrested in MA while carrying a pocketknife. That makes all knives illegal or legal depending on how you want to look at it. You are going to have to be doing something stupid to get to that point anyway. Otherwise no cop is going to know or likely care what kind of pocketknife you have. All the opening and locking stuff is nonsense carry a small-medium fixed blade scout style, faster and more comfortable than any folder and you get more for your money in fixed blades.

Honestly, I think you're fine to carry whatever you want so long as you don't bring any unnecessary attention upon yourself.

I don't remember ever reading any outrage threads of someone innocently going about their business and a cop jamming them up solely for having a knife on them. Except NYC.

I believe Ernest Emerson designed them for Kershaw to produce. A cheaper, mass produced knife for fans of Emerson who aren’t gonna drop Emerson money on a knife.
Yeah, this is me. I did order one 2 days ago because I want to see how I like it. $46.95 BladeHQ

I went with a D2 steel blade for just a little more...
The flat screw and Philips through me off a little too. We'll see how she handles.
1606869277684.png
1606869306680.png
1606869340834.png

Prefer my ZT Emerson! Lost my real cqc-7. Felt naked and ordered two ZT 620’s

have the 620 CF and the regular one.
E0127B82-2734-4A4C-9917-29D8ADFC6EA5.jpeg
the back blade is my backup if I loose the other.

0834F5B3-D14F-425F-BA0D-D0DBFBEEF6C4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom