EDC knife

Hey guys Im sure this has been discussed in the past but they release knives so quickly I wanted updated opinions. I want to get a new higher end EDC knife I'm leaning towards Benchmade. I want assisted open, at least 3", non serated and I like those spurs on the backside that you flick with a finger. I'd consider Benchmade, Emerson, Cold Steel SOG etc. Looking in the 150 - 200 dollar range since this is a gift to myself I don't mind spending a little extra.

I have the Zero Tolerance 0770 CF. Carbon fiber, lightweight, high quality. Reversible pocket clip that is discreet, and low carry. Love that knife. Very thin, no problem getting your hand in and out of pocket while carrying. Street price $175. Welcome to check it out if you are on the North Shore.

I've had my mini griptillian for a couple of years now, and it's been great.
yep, bought mine used 10 years ago, been a great edc knife, holds an edge rather well. but hardly a fightn' knife, the mini grip. and not an assisted opener.

I just got a DPx HEAT (at the suggestion of another NES brother) and like it a lot. It replaces a Benchmade Mini Griptillian that I had been edc'ing since 2008. Both are great knives but I wanted a bit smaller, thicker blade with a full hand size grip. Either one falls right in your price range. My new DPx was also a gift to myself. KnifeConnection.com had the best price by the way.

Yup - Benchmade fan here too. I've run a Triage 915 for over almost 2 years and love it. That said, I upset my #1 son this week and bought one of these (he wants one BAD) for a song via eBay and it's built like a tank, but will probably not see much EDC time.

I may not be a knife connoisseur, but I really like my Zero Tolerance 0350ST. It's in my pocket every day.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Another vote for the DPX HEAT. It's one heluva big little knife. You can get them from Mike-Mike a member here on NES.

I just got a DPx HEAT (at the suggestion of another NES brother) and like it a lot. It replaces a Benchmade Mini Griptillian that I had been edc'ing since 2008. Both are great knives but I wanted a bit smaller, thicker blade with a full hand size grip. Either one falls right in your price range. My new DPx was also a gift to myself. KnifeConnection.com had the best price by the way.

ZT 0350ST

Got this as a gift from a dear friend recently and it’s absolutely beautiful. Has all the features you want (mine is serated but you can get straight edge). Spring assisted, flipper lever, clip can be put on either side and up or down. I’m loving this one.

74D29C1F-A22E-4D87-95CC-22A9AA2AD601.jpeg 586CDEF0-ECA4-4E15-9F81-EA9E1382E9CE.jpeg

Recently bought one of these, opens as you draw it from the pocket like an Emerson Wave or a flipper. Solid, great grip, not too heavy, Ti scales; made in South Africa by Andres de Villiers. Costs a little extra but worth it. Comes in different blades/finishes.
Andre deVilliers Mid-Tech DF Frag Clip Point Knife Black Ti (3.25" Blk SW) *Dis - Blade HQ
Andre-de-Villiers-Mid-Tech-DF-Frag-FL-Distressed-Ti-CP-BHQ-86260-jr-large.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve lost too many really expensive EDC knives to carry any that are north of 100 bux. Handed over a knife to the secret service that I had for over 17 years that would cost 230ish to replace whe I went to see the Donald speak at a campaign rally. Left the gun in the truck, never even thought about the knife.

6 months later I lost the 180 dollar replacement.

In your price range all the major brands will have something nice. I am a fan of zero tolerance, kershaw, boker, spyderco, cold steel, benchmark, etc. Look for good steel(elmax, m390, s30v, sv35n, vg10, most of the cmp’s, etc).

I would suggest against a liner lock do to the metal being thin. It usually will wear out over time. Instead look for a frame lock or other types to keep the blade securely open. Also pay attention to the grip. Micarta is grippy even when wet. Not saying others aren’t also, just something to consider.

I currently carry a Zero Tolerance 0566 blackwash for just shy of $100, but that seems like a hard deal to find now. Love it, I beat the piss out of it and it just keeps on going. Easy to sharpen, stays sharp for a long time, and isn’t brittle or prone to chipping. Definitely the benefit of a higher hrc elmax blade(powder steel). Also it’s a frame lock.

I am currently eyeing a new type of karambit. It’s at the high end of your price range, but under 2.5” with d2 steel. It’s not great steel at the price, but decent(Not stainless). It is however the first of its kind. A karambit that opens quickly, one handed, without adjusting your grip. It is out of stock, but can be found elsewhere.
PROVOKE™

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=birKtIe7HRY

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom