EDC flashlight recommendations

One thing to consider about your EDC flashlight — think carefully about whether you want a flashlight with “teeth” on the bezel. Once when I was at the TSA screening at a quiet airport (San Antonio), a bored TSA drone inspected my backpack, and removed my flashlight to look at the bezel. My EDC flashlight doesn’t have those teeth, so it wasn’t a problem, but he was clearly specifically looking for them.

I know this is going to sound "backyard bunker nuts", but it's part of my brain I can't shut off. It's telling me that at the end of the world, AA's and CR123A's will be more available once you deplete your own stock, whereas 18650 and other specialty performance batteries will be scarce. Crazy, right--planning like that?!? I just can't help it sometimes. You are right though about 18650 performance. It is a superior cell for this application. Just the fact that I can't find one in person at typical places that sell batteries that is putting me off the idea.

On another note: I like rechargeable batteries for daily use, but stock 10+year long shelf life disposable for the "bunker". The idle draining that most rechargeable have worries me.

I got a uSB powered charger from Fenix and a 20W solar USB panel to power it from Anker. :)

There is a flashlight community at candlepowerforums that has a terabyte of flashlight data, reviews, and geekery. As for EDC I have a custom 1 AA light from Shining Beam, one mode, zooms, will do a tailstand, forward clicky end button. Sometimes I carry Surefire G series but I'd hate to lose it.

Check out this light from Harbor Freight.

Ok go ahead and laugh all you want......then go to HF and turn one on.

SKU 63936
Model QFL-065
image.jpeg

Its about as big around as a large ballpoint pen, all aluminum, rear click on/off no momentary, takes two AAA penlite batteries and is 65 lumens of bright white light. They list at $7.99 but if you watch the sales, they can be had for $5.00

If you lose it, you're not out big money.

Listen, I'm admittedly and unashamedly one of the biggest "flashlight whores":D:D:D in the world, I've got all types, shapes and sizes and these little lights are one of the best purchases I've made bar none. I keep one in all my vehicle glove compartments, a couple bedside, one in the bathroom vanity drawer, one in a kitchen drawer and one in my gun cleaning box.
Before you spend big money on a light you will very likely lose in time, check these out.

Last edited:
I got a uSB powered charger from Fenix and a 20W solar USB panel to power it from Anker. :)

A USB solar panel charger is seriously on my list for my "bunker" (well, where ever I'm currently living). Haven't done the research yet though. Anker might be the one though from what I've read.

My edc light is a quark mini MLR2. Very bright, multiple settings. Long battery life. Takes a pounding. It’s in my pocket every day since the group but here for it many years ago. Big enough so you don’t lose it in your pocket, small enough you don’t know it’s there. Best part is you can turn it in, put it in your mouth so you have both hands free to work and still be able to talk to someone while you are doing it. Add typical put it in your mouth comments here:

If you don't need a particularly powerful flashlight, I recommend looking at the usual small flashlights. I recently wanted to buy a couple of these flashlights to lick in the car and my pocket; you never know. I decided to look on amazon and found one cool led flashlight model and ordered it. I can say that I was most satisfied. And the coolest thing is that there are two whole flashlights in the box and the price is very pleasant. It is generally very convenient when you have a flashlight in your pocket.

Last edited:
If you don't need a particularly powerful flashlight, I recommend looking at the usual small flashlights. I recently wanted to buy a couple of these flashlights to lick in the car and my pocket; you never know. I decided to look on amazon and found one cool led flashlight model and ordered it. I can say that I was most satisfied. And the coolest thing is that there are two whole flashlights in the box and the price is very pleasant. It is generally very convenient when you have a flashlight in your pocket.
I agree. My current favorite that has been in my pocket everyday for the past 6 years is the Streamlight Microstream. It takes a single AAA battery and for everyday use it's plenty bright. It has been flawless and the anodizing has worn off to create a cool well worn patina. For me it's the perfect size and function. I've had other brands including Fenix and Olight but none have lasted this long. Amazon product ASIN B00143JZ08View: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00143JZ08?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
IMG_7449.jpg

I agree. My current favorite that has been in my pocket everyday for the past 6 years is the Streamlight Microstream. It takes a single AAA battery and for everyday use it's plenty bright. It has been flawless and the anodizing has worn off to create a cool well worn patina. For me it's the perfect size and function. I've had other brands including Fenix and Olight but none have lasted this long. Amazon product ASIN B00143JZ08View: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00143JZ08?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
View attachment 667348
little more worn than mine but it gets used everyday

Convoy C8+ is an awesome torch. Takes an 18650 rechargeable. You basically get to design your own light - Tons of options for LED's based on throw and color. Mode selection (lots of variable modes or just high/med/low). Plenty of lens caps in case you need a red light. Lots of color choices. Very cheap. Only downside is waiting the 2+ weeks as it crosses the ocean.

I have a number of other lights - surefire's, o-light, fenix, 4seven. All great lights - but the Convoy is just as good and significantly cheaper. It's also highly regarded by flashlight nerds. Disclosure - I am not one of those nerds but a good friend of mine is (builds his own lights, writes reviews, follows the industry etc.). He recommends this light all the time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd0XgsqWbqM

I have a Nitecore MT10C in my pocket everyday. It takes either a rechargeable RCR123 or a standard CR123 battery. It has several different levels of white/red light as well as flashing modes including an SOS mode. I am extremely happy with it and would buy another in a second should the need arise.

Convoy C8+ is an awesome torch. Takes an 18650 rechargeable. You basically get to design your own light - Tons of options for LED's based on throw and color. Mode selection (lots of variable modes or just high/med/low). Plenty of lens caps in case you need a red light. Lots of color choices. Very cheap. Only downside is waiting the 2+ weeks as it crosses the ocean.

I have a number of other lights - surefire's, o-light, fenix, 4seven. All great lights - but the Convoy is just as good and significantly cheaper. It's also highly regarded by flashlight nerds. Disclosure - I am not one of those nerds but a good friend of mine is (builds his own lights, writes reviews, follows the industry etc.). He recommends this light all the time.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd0XgsqWbqM

That is not an EDC flashlight. Thing is HUGE.

That is not an EDC flashlight. Thing is HUGE.
Depends on definition of EDC I guess. Can’t pocket this light, agreed. I keep mine in a pack that is with me 95+% of the time. In the car, at work, at home.

But convoy makes other smaller options. Just pushing the brand

Carried a Fenix UC35 for the past five years for work and gets used extensively. I’ve actually had three. Bought a replacement when I lost the original, then found the original. Then the wife lost the replacement and replaced the replacement….. The first one is still running strong on the original battery.

Incredibly bright, durable, battery lasts a long time and uses a common cable to charge.

Fenix UC35 V2.0 Rechargeable Flashlight https://a.co/d/89lUwGX

Last edited:
Fenix E18R, it is literally the brightest and most useful little EDC light I've ever had and I've had mine for a long time now and it's beat to shit but it never misses a beat. The best part of it is how small it is, it can clip to the brim of a ball cap and it makes one hell of a head lamp also. The magnetic tail cap is great for using it as a work light also.

You may want to look at Candlepower Forums for more discussion, opinions, and information.

I honestly can't seem to carry a flashlight comfortable. I had a small olight I tried to keep in my left front pocket with phone and wallet. Accidentally toggled it on during a long car ride. Almost burned a whole through my jeans! I then tried the little stream light on my keychain but that died quickly.

Too much in that pocket. I wear cargo pants. Phone goes in left cargo pocket. Wallet goes in right cargo pocket. Keys in left front pocket. Flashlight clipped to left front pocket. Knife clipped to right front pocket.

As much as I rip on Olight and wouldn’t trust their WMLs, my S2R baton II has been daily carried since 2018 and continues to perform very well. It is not a “tactical” type light but for my purposes Im very happy with it. Carries very easily. As I already carry a G17, extra mag, pepper spray and small blade Im not looking for a big ass flashlight.

Streamlight Micro or Macro. Can’t go wrong with either one. Micro is a single AAA and Macro is generic USB rechargeable with 2 brightness levels. The Macro’s muzzle slides forward to expose the charging port and is water resistant (time will tell if waterproof-but doubt). The pocket clip also doubles as a ballcap clip to enable use as a headlamp.

Pics for size comparison. I usually keep both in my console and will take one or both with if needed depending on environment, activity, time of day and daypack or not. I haven’t moved to keeping one in my pants pocket yet, and for double secret emergency I still always have a light on my carry pistol.

Con to both of these is the protruding rubber end cap button, it does not allow the light to stand on end or for the bezel to be removed exposing the LED lamp to be used as a small room lantern. Maglight AA pocket lights, although I haven’t had one in years, had this ability and it was very useful on more than one occasion.

EB4BF21C-A426-4FC1-879B-DDE6A85662E3.jpeg7D63602D-BC62-44C9-A645-29CC700E4775.jpeg66976B51-E646-4D50-A595-4DB030672955.jpeg5E488DCD-A2C0-45A9-B6D6-A02819893B81.jpeg53ED6608-1C60-4FFE-8BEF-ECA142A20762.jpeg
076A7197-328F-46D2-8E1D-419B5E9E2F8D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom