• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EDC flashlight recommendations

I also carry a keychain light. It’s an plight i3es I think. It’s a single AAA model and 90-120 lumens depending on the model and battery type you use. It’s about the size of my pinky finger. I’d say it will do 75% of everything I might use a light for, but a less conveniently because it’s a twist cap style rather than a tail switch.

Sometimes the momentary tail switch on my flashlight gets depressed in my pocket when I'm sitting, which uses up the battery. It's nice to have the option but it's a disadvantage on a pocket light, imo.

This little light is amazing.

Rechargeable Mini LED Flashlight | MicroStream® USB

It’s lightweight, compact, bright and a full charge lasts a really long time. Clips onto your pocket or drop into your pocket. You won’t even know it’s there.Ironically I have mine sitting on my desk in front of me right now. I’ve been trying to kill it for 8 hrs to put a fresh charge in it... but it won’t die. Probably don’t need to do that but it’s something I do anyways.

Here it is compared to an iPhone with a case.

Attachments

• 75F34527-C635-4171-9E04-878777028CCE.jpeg
    75F34527-C635-4171-9E04-878777028CCE.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
This little light is amazing.

Rechargeable Mini LED Flashlight | MicroStream® USB

It’s lightweight, compact, bright and a full charge lasts a really long time. Clips onto your pocket or drop into your pocket. You won’t even know it’s there.Ironically I have mine sitting on my desk in front of me right now. I’ve been trying to kill it for 8 hrs to put a fresh charge in it... but it won’t die. Probably don’t need to do that but it’s something I do anyways.

Here it is compared to an iPhone with a case.

Oh cool I didn't know they made that in a rechargeable version. I have had my Microstream for about 8 years. I got the Stylus Pro a few years ago. The big 'ol clunky Inforce light at the top I've had for, I dunno, over a decade anyhow. That thing is tough as a tank, and as far as I can see, discontinued long ago. It looks just like their model 6VX but that model had a multi-functional tail switch (Hi, Low, Strobe, Lockout) where mine is just a twist-adjustable pressure switch. In fact I just saw that the 6VX is discontinued as well.

002.JPG

I saw the microstream on the Snap-on rape van this morning. It's a very portable size. The clip is nice. You can clip it to your pants or to the brim of your hat like a headlamp.

I have an UltraTac K18 which I run with a 10440 rechargeable lithium cell. At low and medium brightness settings, it's great for day to day use and on It's its high setting it's bright enough to use as a hand held light for low light conditions with a pistol (I use it for IDPA competition).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXZW951/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZOzICbQEBF0QY

Olight I3T EOS 180 Lumens Dual-Output Slim EDC Flashlight for Camping and Hiking, Tail Swith Flashlight with AAA Battery https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLRK7Q5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_OqKICbJGHQJEB

I’ve been carrying one of these everyday for years and I use them daily for work.
Most time I don’t need a huge flashlight so see something.

This guys small enough for EDC, big enough to get the job done plus it runs of “AAA” which my work supplies. Plus it’s cheap compared to others.

Well after two hours in the car my leg starts itching....the seatbelt must have clicked the button so my flashlight was burning up in my pocket and pretty much completely depleted the battery. Wtf

Does it have a lockout feature? I got a Klarus Mi7 recently for everyday carry. I like the extremely compact size to lumens (700) and versatile battery options (AA or 14500 Li-ion), but wish it had an end switch instead of a side switch as I discovered it on in my pocket a couple times prior to utilizing the lockout feature.

Home depot sells some cheap lights that are rugged and bright. Forget the brand but love the lights.

A friend gave me an Anker Bolder and a smaller one that both charge via usb. Didn't want to destroy either one at work so the Bolder is my go to home light.

I've got a couple of cheap no names around the house and I have Anker rechargeable that can also charge my cellphone in my car bag. I wanted to get something a little "higher end" and smaller. The Olight certainly puts out a lot of light and the length is great. Unfortunately it's still a little thick. I can get away with it on weekend but probably not during the week. I certainly don't wear skinny jeans but I don't know where people stuff all their ESC!?

Does it have a lockout feature? I got a Klarus Mi7 recently for everyday carry. I like the extremely compact size to lumens (700) and versatile battery options (AA or 14500 Li-ion), but wish it had an end switch instead of a side switch as I discovered it on in my pocket a couple times prior to utilizing the lockout feature.
I’ve got one of those too and had the same thing happen. What you do is turn the light on and unscrew the head until the light goes out then press the button to shutoff. Haven’t had the light go on accidentally since I started doing this.

I like more light rather than less.

I’ve carried a fenix pd35 for about 4 years now. It’s never failed when I needed it. Very bright and it even puts up with me when I use it to open beer bottles.

For about a month or two I carried a streamlight polytac. It’s a great light but the bezel is a little too wide to be comfortable in my pocket.

The fenix is about $65 and the polytac is about $35.

Fenix is the hot setup for me. I have several of them. Some are bright enough to light up my back yard, but my favorite is the UC 30. it's a 1000 lumen flashlight with 5 levels of brightness and strobe. The good thing about it is that it can be charged via a onboard usb port at home, in the car, or from a solar powered battery pack like the one that the NRA has available. This makes it great for camping.

I've got a couple of cheap no names around the house and I have Anker rechargeable that can also charge my cellphone in my car bag. I wanted to get something a little "higher end" and smaller. The Olight certainly puts out a lot of light and the length is great. Unfortunately it's still a little thick. I can get away with it on weekend but probably not during the week. I certainly don't wear skinny jeans but I don't know where people stuff all their ESC!?

This may be my reality soon. I currently do installations and wear carpenter pants. I can easily carry a knife, box cutter, leatherman, flashlight, pens/pencil, lighter, wallet, cellphone, keys, and a few spare drill bits. That’s just EDC. For an install I add a solid flathead screwdriver to a back pocket, a bag of screws to a cargo pocket and an impact driver on my hip. A good belt is a must, but it’s not uncomfortable or cumbersome.
If/when I end up in a business casual situation, I won’t need some(most) of that but I’m still going to be hard pressed to fit even half in a pair khakis. I’ve become accustomed to having an array of useful items on my person and fear I’ll feel “naked” without them. Perhaps this is where a good computer or messenger bag becomes handy? Have things close by but not physically on me?

Well after two hours in the car my leg starts itching....the seatbelt must have clicked the button so my flashlight was burning up in my pocket and pretty much completely depleted the battery. Wtf
I have been carrying a Surefire Lumamax L4 for 10 or 11 years. Great light, had it in my safety vest pocket one night while running CAT grader in a mine. It fell out missed the door sill and I ran over it with the machine... it seems to be nearly indestructible. However it you put it in your pants pocket and forget to give the tail cap half a turn out (something I started doing to avoid fried leg syndrome) it will occasionally activate in your pocket if you bump the tailcap on/off switch. I am familiar that burning sensation!

I usually have a Fenix LD22 with me. Had it for years now and the damn thing just works and doesn't get too hot.

I'm partial to the Streamlight protac "dual fuel", (which means that I usually run the CR123A in it, but in a pinch I can put a AA alkaline battery in it).

Super Bright Tactical Flashlight | ProTac® 1L-1AA

Quick googling found them at Galls and Ebay
Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA Tactical Flashlight
Streamlight 88061 Protac 1L-1AA 350 Lumen LED Flashlight & Batteries With Box 80926880610 | eBay

I didn't know this "dual fuel" type of light exists. Very good concept. How does it even work though considering not just the output differences, but the physical size difference? I'm intrigued.

I tend to lean towards AA flashlights due to ubiquity of AA batteries. I can always find AA's away from the house charger, whereas the CR123A are a little less common. On the other end of the coin, I tend to like the typical performance found in CR123A flashlights, so this would be ideal.

I didn't know this "dual fuel" type of light exists. Very good concept. How does it even work though considering not just the output differences, but the physical size difference? I'm intrigued.

I tend to lean towards AA flashlights due to ubiquity of AA batteries. I can always find AA's away from the house charger, whereas the CR123A are a little less common. On the other end of the coin, I tend to like the typical performance found in CR123A flashlights, so this would be ideal.

My go to light is a Klarus Mi7 that runs on AA and 14500 lithium batteries. They run about $40.00 and will put out 700 lumens on the 14500 battery. The only downside of this light for EDC is that the switch protrudes from body of the flashlight so it is prone to accidental activation unless you lock it out. I turn the body about a quarter turn and that locks it out when I throw it in my pocket.

Make sure that you get a good quality high drain battery for this kind of light or you won’t get the full output of the flashlight.

It turns on in the highest setting so if it does activate in your pocket you will know it.

I also have the Olight magnetic charger that runs about $10. It is a great little portable charger.

Bob

20190509174346_354.jpg

20190509174356_668.jpg

Mi Series - KLARUS Lighting Technology Co.,Ltd

1480364477000_1300772.jpg

My go to light is a Klarus Mi7 that runs on AA and 14500 lithium batteries. They run about $40.00 and will put out 700 lumens on the 14500 battery. The only downside of this light for EDC is that the switch protrudes from body of the flashlight so it is prone to accidental activation unless you lock it out. I turn the body about a quarter turn and that locks it out when I throw it in my pocket.

Make sure that you get a good quality high drain battery for this kind of light or you won’t get the full output of the flashlight.

It turns on in the highest setting so if it does activate in your pocket you will know it.

I also have the Olight magnetic charger that runs about $10. It is a great little portable charger.

Bob

20190509174346_354.jpg

20190509174356_668.jpg

Mi Series - KLARUS Lighting Technology Co.,Ltd

1480364477000_1300772.jpg

Nice flashlight, but I think I'd like the CR123A main with backup AA compatibility. I've found 14500 and 18650 batteries to be extremely rare in most places outside of specialty shops. CR123A's, while still not as common as AA, can still be found at Home Depot, Best Buy, and sometimes even Rite Aid. Only a concern when you're away from home, but still a nice piece of insurance.

I've bought Fenix and Surefire in the past. Great flashlights.

But... since I bought a couple Anker flashlights from Amazon I'm a changed man. Much less expensive than the competition and IMHO their quality is every bit as good. They go on sale fairly often to wait for the sales.

I'm a bit fan of their 1300 lumen model, although the 900 lumen model is great in a smaller package.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Rechar...-goods&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-...564421104&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

Nice flashlight, but I think I'd like the CR123A main with backup AA compatibility. I've found 14500 and 18650 batteries to be extremely rare in most places outside of specialty shops. CR123A's, while still not as common as AA, can still be found at Home Depot, Best Buy, and sometimes even Rite Aid. Only a concern when you're away from home, but still a nice piece of insurance.

FWIW:
The 14500 and 18650’s are rechargeable and last for years. I usually order mine from Illumn.com (Illumn.com - Flashlights, Batteries, Carry Gear, Intelligent LED Lighting, and More!) or Lion Wholesale Batteries (Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery/cell distributor). If you really want to find them locally a vape shop will have them.

Generally speaking it is far cheaper to order the CR123 batteries. In bulk (a package of 10) you can find them for about a buck apiece.

I recently picked up a Fenix E-16 flashlight that runs on CR123A’s and also takes the rechargeable 16340 lithium battery. Another 700 lumen powerhouse in a tiny package.

The E-16 is a typical CR123A light that has a clip that allows it to be mounted to the bill of a ball cap as well as being put in a pocket. It also has a magnet on the tail cap for affixing to a metal surface to hold the light.

theshorelinemarket_2585_2625555564

Fenix E16 EDC Flashlight - Fenix Lighting

Bob

FWIW:
The 14500 and 18650’s are rechargeable and last for years. I usually order mine from Illumn.com (Illumn.com - Flashlights, Batteries, Carry Gear, Intelligent LED Lighting, and More!) or Lion Wholesale Batteries (Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery/cell distributor). If you really want to find them locally a vape shop will have them.

Generally speaking it is far cheaper to order the CR123 batteries. In bulk (a package of 10) you can find them for about a buck apiece.

Bob

Yes, that typically what I do with all batteries--order rechargeable in bulk. However, when out and about somewhere without a backup battery or a charger, having a common size battery comes in handy for an emergency purchase or pulling a AA out of another device to get you through the immediate need.

But... since I bought a couple Anker flashlights from Amazon I'm a changed man. Much less expensive than the competition and IMHO their quality is every bit as good. They go on sale fairly often to wait for the sales.

I'm a bit fan of their 1300 lumen model, although the 900 lumen model is great in a smaller package.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Rechar...-goods&smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ultra-...564421104&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2-spons&psc=1

I have an Anker in the car now but after reading some independent reviews with actual light measurements etc. It looks like the ankers perform really poorly and the lumens etc stated are usually for an incredible short time and all sorts of stuff. I like my little light I bought but it's too big for me to edc and smaller than I really want for the car....

I don't know "how", just that it "does" work. I've got a Fenix PD35 in a pouch on the outside of a knapsack that goes with me every time I'm in the truck or my wife's car; (bunch of stuff in that knapsack). That's a better flashlight, but it's too heavy/bulky for me to like carrying in a pocket. The Streamlight protac 1L-1AA fits nicely in my pocket and throws enough light.

I have two Ankers but only bought one. They sent me the second one when I wrote a critical review on Amazon, lol. That's how you build brand loyalty!

I wonder if the tariffs are raising prices? Maybe they're just eating the tariff?

Last edited:

Typically to fit different size batteries they'll include an adapter insert. Then you gotta carry that around. Imo you're better off using an 18650, they last so much longer and don't seem to drain while sitting like say, rechargeable AA batteries. Just carry a spare or get a USB chargeable light.

Typically to fit different size batteries they'll include an adapter insert. Then you gotta carry that around. Imo you're better off using an 18650, they last so much longer and don't seem to drain while sitting like say, rechargeable AA batteries. Just carry a spare or get a USB chargeable light.

I know this is going to sound "backyard bunker nuts", but it's part of my brain I can't shut off. It's telling me that at the end of the world, AA's and CR123A's will be more available once you deplete your own stock, whereas 18650 and other specialty performance batteries will be scarce. Crazy, right--planning like that?!? I just can't help it sometimes. You are right though about 18650 performance. It is a superior cell for this application. Just the fact that I can't find one in person at typical places that sell batteries that is putting me off the idea.

On another note: I like rechargeable batteries for daily use, but stock 10+year long shelf life disposable for the "bunker". The idle draining that most rechargeable have worries me.

Back
Top Bottom