EDC flashlight recommendations

Personally, I like Olight but have started to move away from using them. I would suggest the Streamlight Microstream (About $25-30). Streamlight Macrostream (about $50) and there is another one in the same streamlight family that looks like a penlight... It's about 350lumens and maybe about $40. All rechargable and all have a good reputation.

I bought a bunch of Olights a few years back and am stuck.

All of them still work. As advetised. One even after two-three trips in the washing machine.

I recently bought a Fenix PD25R, haven't had it long but really like it so far. It's rechargeable and if you wear out the rechargeable battery, it can be replaced with another rechargeable battery or a CR123 (which just won't give you full range of lumens). 5 settings, 800 lumen max.

Last edited:
I got the Browning Alpha for a gift one year and I liked it enough to get another one. The new one has 3 light settings 500, 150, and green. The older one is 100,50, and strobe. I like the rechargeable battery with the new one. The charging port is on the battery keeping it waterproof. You can also use a AA, but it reduces the lumens. Cabelas Carries them. The rubber around the end I assume is so you can put it between your teeth if you need two hands to do something and the clip is reversed to put on the bill of a hat. IMO 500 lumens is a bit bright I always knock it down to the second setting. 100 lumens is enough for general use FA08677B-E492-435F-A60A-A976027D5092.jpegA8A5C8CA-88C7-4942-B2A5-82FBB4FC3037.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a few lights that are carried under the several routine yet very different circumstances that is my life. Some old, some new. Some cheap, some slightly more.

70A4F3ED-871F-46DA-8033-74B8DF144330.jpeg8C5BC341-CA7D-4514-A0F6-534A049523CA.jpeg

i don't have a problem with olight. not too long ago i picked up a baton 3 pro max and a i5r eos. two decent lights at a reasonable price point. clean light, waterproof, small, decent 5 year warranty...they do everything i want.

I'm looking for a quality, rugged, perhaps rechargeable flashlight, with a wide lense, for use while boating at night.

I don't want to blind oncoming boaters. It'll mostly be aimed down at the water. Has anyone found a decent "wide angle" beam? Not a bigger circle floodlight pattern.

More like rectangular, I suppose. something with a wide, flat beam.

Bright, obviously, but it doesn't need to shine a half mile. Just the fifty to a hundred feet in front of the boat as we make our way back to the ramp from watching the 4th of July fireworks at not much more than headway speed.

I didn’t see it mentioned here but CountyComm/MARATAC deserves a good look.

They have a great line up of EDC lights and they’re made here in the USA, not rebranded Chinese crap. Some good looking lights there with great reviews.

They have a great line up of EDC lights and they’re made here in the USA, not rebranded Chinese crap. Some good looking lights there with great reviews.

I'm familiar with their watches but didn't know they did other stuff. That glow in the dark tape looks pretty cool!

Their AA and AAA pocket lights are great.

I'm familiar with their watches but didn't know they did other stuff. That glow in the dark tape looks pretty cool!
Oh ya they have all kinds of cool items. I’ve been buying from them for years and their customer service is also top notch. Also have many great titanium items for those who’re into Ti.

Oh ya they have all kinds of cool items. I’ve been buying from them for years and their customer service is also top notch. Also have many great titanium items for those who’re into Ti.
Went down through Maratac rabbit hole. No flashlight and only one Ti thing. I still managed to spend $100 though!

I have another County Comm order on its way as I type. Just more Ti stuff, but in the past I've order all sorts of stuff from them, including one of their mystery bags and it ended up being about right for what I paid. No flashlights, but now I need to check those out too. I blame @cams for introducing me to CC in a thread on here a while back.

Last edited:
I have another County Comm order on its way as I type. Just more Ti stuff, but in the past I've order all sorts of stuff from them, including one of their mystery bags and it ended up being about right for what I paid. No flashlights, but now I need to check those out too. I blame @cams for introducing me to CC in a thread on here a while back.
The hooligan tool is back in stock. Is the 12" really worth double the 8"?

Stream light micro stream rechargeable
I have two MicroStreams, an older AAA one and the newer rechargeable. While I like the rechargeable one ok and it does hold a charge well, I still prefer being able to swap out simple AAA batteries and keep working.

The MacroStream I’m not very impressed with so far. Still very pocketable and looks great, but mine dies out rapidly, sometimes like 10-15 mins and then it’s down again, so I found myself reaching for other lights and leave that one sitting more.

Back
Top Bottom