• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EDC at work?

Hi all---so, i am curious about the practice of having your EDC in your workplace. My office is in Boston. Since I'm considered essential, I'm the only one there on a daily basis. So, am i allowed to conceal carry into my workplace under Mass law or am i subject to the building and/or tenants policies? I wanted to check here before taking any steps in regards to this topic. thanks!

Unless you work in a building that's off limits, per State or Federal law, there's no law against it.

There is no "binding signage" law in Mass (a "No Gunz" sign has no power under the law), but you can be asked to leave private property.

Many companies have HR policies governing such things, but that's between you and your Company. Whether you wish to comply with any company policies, is up to you.

Hi all---so, i am curious about the practice of having your EDC in your workplace. My office is in Boston. Since I'm considered essential, I'm the only one there on a daily basis. So, am i allowed to conceal carry into my workplace under Mass law or am i subject to the building and/or tenants policies? I wanted to check here before taking any steps in regards to this topic. thanks!
Does your workplace have metal detectors or Security with wands?

It's up to the employer. They might have a weapons policy. Their policy doesn't make it illegal to carry there but you can be fired. Boston also has a lot of campuses that are gun-free zones so you need to be aware of that potential issue.

It looks like a number of users made a new year's resolution to re-ask a number of frequently-asked questions.

Welcome, OP. As a public school teacher, I'll tell you I never, ever, EVER carry at work. As a responsible gun owner, I'll tell you concealed means concealed. Do what makes you feel comfortable and confident. IANAL, YMMV, FWIW, FOAD, etc.

It's up to the employer. They might have a weapons policy. Their policy doesn't make it illegal to carry there but you can be fired. Boston also has a lot of campuses that are gun-free zones so you need to be aware of that potential issue.
If its a gun free zone, op is safe anyway

It looks like a number of users made a new year's resolution to re-ask a number of frequently-asked questions.

Welcome, OP. As a public school teacher, I'll tell you I never, ever, EVER carry at work. As a responsible gun owner, I'll tell you concealed means concealed. Do what makes you feel comfortable and confident. IANAL, YMMV, FWIW, FOAD, etc.

"IANAL, YMMV, FWIW, FOAD, etc."

Given the FOAD, I'm guessing that YMMV is "you make me vomit" rather than "your mileage may vary"

Lots of correct answers, your employer may have their rules and fire you if they find out, however their rules don’t make it illegal (as long as it’s not a prohibited place like a school campus or federal building, of course)

Not sure why everyone is recommending pocket carry though, IWB (and particularly AIWB) are plenty easy to conceal w a typical carry 9 (I favor the Sig365). Unless you’re wearing a dress shirt tucked in w no cover garment I would suggest that IWB/AIWB is better concealment than pants pocket (which I also do from time to time). There’s also ankle carry if you’re tucked in wearing dress pants, beats pocket for conceal ability IMO (not as effective for deployment tho)

"IANAL, YMMV, FWIW, FOAD, etc."

Given the FOAD, I'm guessing that YMMV is "you make me vomit" rather than "your mileage may vary"

I have military experience, so I know one of the cardinal truths of life: using acronyms makes people think yer wicked smaht.

FOAD: For Our Added Discussion :p As far as anyone knows.

Not sure why everyone is recommending pocket carry though, IWB (and particularly AIWB) are plenty easy to conceal w a typical carry 9 (I favor the Sig365). Unless you’re wearing a dress shirt tucked in w no cover garment I would suggest that IWB/AIWB is better concealment than pants pocket (which I also do from time to time). There’s also ankle carry if you’re tucked in wearing dress pants, beats pocket for conceal ability IMO (not as effective for deployment tho)
Good point. For me it was primarily because I wore a tucked in button-down, like you said. That said, I find that a revolver conceals very well in a pocket, much better than a boxy auto-loader.

I carry at work every day, but then so doesn't some other people at work with me. Hell one time someone lost a p238 on the employee bathroom floor, we let them sweat it out until there was some rumors about it floating around, we then paged "would the dumbass that left his pistol on the bathroom floor come to the front desk and get it." It was a brutal walk of shame.

I have military experience, so I know one of the cardinal truths of life: using acronyms makes people think yer wicked smaht.

FOAD: For Our Added Discussion :p As far as anyone knows.
And when someone uses "FYI" to me, I ask which one: For Your Information, or F- You Idiot ? [laugh]

Your workplace policy might forbid weapons but even then you wouldn't be breaking any laws if you carried. If discovered, you'd be fired but that's it.
This thread is where we discover whether "essential" means "essential".

There is no "binding signage" law in Mass (a "No Gunz" sign has no power under the law), but you can be asked to leave private property.
Actually, your landlord can trespass you,
meaning you could be charged with criminal trespass
if you ever returned to your office building.

If there was any justice in the world,
your employer might "misplace" their rent checkbook for a few months
if their landlord trespassed the company's only "essential" employee.

Not that I expect to be seeing a YoutUbe Prorevenge video on that theme
anytime soon...

Just like my instructor said.

If a tree falls down in the forest and no one hears it. Did it fall down?

But to add my 2 cents, if I was at my work place and someone had a gun on them I'd definitely stay about 15 feet away from that person. This is coming from someone who daily carries. It's common sense.

Back
Top Bottom