• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Economics of buying or borrowing jig for lower?

I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a jig to machine an 80% lower, or ask around to see if someone loans them with a deposit. I would likely only be building two lowers, so I cant decide whether the extra expense is worth it. Any input from personal experience would be great. Is it worth it to buy a jig and then resell it once I'm done? I dont see any for sale anywhere, so I dont know what the resell price would be.

Mahalo.

Well, I think 'golddiggie' on the forums here has a jig available. Or you could join up over at weaponsguild - there are a few AR jigs in the loaner tools section there. As long as it's not damaged, buying & re-selling would probably work out OK, I've done that with several sets of GO/NOGO gauges.

Now depending on the jig and what tools are needed I say just buy the jigs. When your done you can sell them for a small return or toss them in your tool box and loan them out as needed?
I don't remember the kits my friends used.
I do remember one was rather inexpensive but did work although it was not very refined.
The other was rather expensive but was well fitted was easy to clamp into a vice or tool block ......sorry I don't know the proper term.
Also the cutting bits and drill bits where also higher quality.
Back then my friend with the better jig was loaning it out for a box of ammo....of course that's when ammo was not so easily found.
Tools are always good to have.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. The lowers and jig were coming from 80% and was going to run 350 for two lowers and the jig. It looks like a solid tool, and I'm a big fan of collecting them. It's just difficult swallowing the price if I'm only going to use it twice.
I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the jig, maybe pimp it for ammo like what was suggested.

Thanks for the help. The lowers and jig were coming from 80% and was going to run 350 for two lowers and the jig. It looks like a solid tool, and I'm a big fan of collecting them. It's just difficult swallowing the price if I'm only going to use it twice.
I think I'm going to go ahead and buy the jig, maybe pimp it for ammo like what was suggested.

80% jig is solid, well made kit.

Cautions -
If you're using a 1/4 inch bit with their templates, it'll deflect if you take too much of a cut, so make those last cuts very small. This is because you've got so much unsupported bit length.

When you drill and then mill out the shelf at the rear of the receiver, remember to remove the 1/4-20 bolt that goes through the ears. Easier to forget when you're drilling. Removing it means that the receiver is now able to drop down in the jig. I found that two pennies taped directly under the lowest point of the 80% lower I was cutting was a perfect shim to keep the lower in place with that bolt out.

Painter's tape on the side of the receiver is a good thing.

Frequent cleansing of the drill/cutter and use of oil is simply good practice.

Keep in mind as you go through their manual that the instructions are written with three target audiences in mind, those doing this by hand, those with a drill press and those with a mill. So, instructions are repeated, and thus seem overly complicated. It's really pretty straight-forward once you've done it once or twice. (of course since you're only planning on doing it twice - you're be good at it as soon as you're done).

You'll want 1/4-20 and 1/4-28 taps to clean threads in the jig and the lower, (the grip bolt).

I bought the modulous arms jig and am very happy with it. I did have 1 issue but that was my dumb ass making a mistake and damaging the template top plate by pulling out the router before it stopped spinning and gouging it a bit (still functional though). I just bought a new template as a replacement part.

$150 for the jig. You can buy their lowers for 69.99 or find them cheaper elseware. If you don't damage it I bet you could very easily sell it for $100 and only be out $50 (plus shipping)

http://www.modulusarms.com/ar-15-jig/

Cruise over to the BIY forum at ar15.com and do a quick search. Every time someone asks which jig is the best jig available, they will all reply that it is this one, hands down.
http://www.modulusarms.com/Modulus-Arms-heavy-duty-universal-ar-15-80-lower-receiver-jig/

HD_Main__18129.1448244918.1280.844.png

Back
Top Bottom