1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Economic "Doom" Mega thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Reptile, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

China has a LONG and cherrished history of letting their own population starve. there was a long period of time under Mao that they themselves called "the Starving Time".

But...i see all this as step two in a very long American policy.

Step 1: Nixon, worried that China would start a nuclear WWIII, talked china into competing on the financial front, not the military front. Nixon encouraged china to become more capitalist, and they took to capitalism like a duck to water!

Step 2: With all their financial success...China appears to be reverting to their fiendish world dominating military plans. So it is now Trump's turn to do a slight course correction...to show China how to actually "play nice" with the rest of the world as a co-superpower. There is risk....but there is probably even BIGGER risk if Trump does nothing.

SHORT TERM there may be setbacks, and pain. But this is just part of a Republican 100 year plan on the pacific rim. You could even argue that this PLAN started at the signing of the treaty ending the war with Japan in 1946...and instead of us raping Japan, we helped to rebuild it....but with more acceptable world interactions.

Waher, Varmint and richc like this.

2. Greschner 4

Greschner 4

Hong Kong is a tinder box. If you want a real ticker on financial Armageddon, follow Realtime Bitcoin

3. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

Maybe I missed the boat short term.... Or long term too. Bitcoin just seems too risky and hackable. Waiting for the day someone corrupts the systems....

Until then, sounds like some people are making out OK with it.

My boss has like 10 bitcoin. Bought it when it was like sub 1000 bucks. He has so much money anyway he said he is holding on to it for life. Just to see what it does.

4. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

All of china has bright energetic young people, and actually has many rich capitalist business owners, who want MORE freedom....and do not want to revert to a strict communist authoritarian society.

In the past China would just round all them up and send them to re-education farms, or just shoot them. But it is these bright young people that are China's future...if they got rid of them...no more economic power! So China is somewhat limited in what they can do to reign in places, like HK....they do not want to kill the golden goose

5. NHCraigT

NHCraigT NES Member

6. richc

richc NES Member

7. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

Seems weird to buy something that will return less.... Of course I dont have millions of dollars like some of the investors buying bonds.

These are the same bonds I have in my 401k?

Headlines today are about recession because of the spread between to 10 and 2 year getting so close and negative.

8. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

Americans say they can't afford a vacation - BNN Bloomberg

I guess Americans can't afford to go on vacation? Love to know the demographic on this.... I bet most who were surveyed are straight out of school.

Also, there has to be people like myself who value saving for other things over a week vacation somewhere. If that survey were to ask me if I could afford to go on vacation I would probably say no too.

Choctaw likes this.
  9. T-Unit

T-Unit

Well, it happened today, so I guess we have until late next year or early 2021 when it hits. Could be sooner or later depending on consumer spending (i.e. how good the holiday shopping goes this year and 2020), current events, China, Brexit, etc.

Whenever it comes, Dems will sweep into the Senate in 2022, the White House in 2024.

10. xtry51

xtry51

Still waiting for a week of -700 DJ daily losses or at least a day more than -1200 before I will believe there's a real recession.

We had some downward weeks a few years ago and nothing came of it. You need a bank liquidity scare to kick things into the spiral.

Varmint likes this.
  11. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

That’s why I’m being cautious on my bank balance. I could pay off the mortgage now and pretty much zero things out or wait till December and have some cash left - I’m holding till December.

12. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

There are a few reasons you'd buy negative rate bonds:
    1. You're forced to by government regulations - this is the case for a lot of entities, that have to have a proportion of bonds in their portfolio.
    2. You think rates will go lower so the value of your bond will go up.
    3. You're trying to support the bubble in stocks and bonds - this is why central banks buy trillions in these bonds.

The bonds in your 401k are probably not negative - it's mostly overseas sovereign debt bonds which most people don't own in their 401k. But you're starting to see corporate junk bonds in Europe that are negative rate. That's truly crazy. It's all an effect of central bank easy money policy.

13. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

A lot of surveys these days are only sampling a portion of the country.

Don't have a landline, only a cell phone? You probably won't get surveyed. that eliminates a lot of the upper income groups.

14. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I would ignore the historical data on yield curve inversion. It's not inverting for typical reasons - fear of recession. It's inverting cause bond investors know (or think) the Fed will cut rates.

When the Fed dumps trillions of stimulus on the markets, we should avoid recession. This is why Trump is riding the Fed like a mule before the election.

xtry51 likes this.
  15. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

This is one result of the great Fed interest rate experiment. Trillions in stimulative money creation all went into assets like housing, stocks and bonds, and not into salaries or prices. It created a massive wealth gap, as anyone with a 401k or stock portfolio made out like a bandit, and the rest gained little.

And it's not over, the Fed is about to double down on the policy to keep the stock market from imploding. You may see a stock pullback or crash, but when the Fed opens the floodgates you probably want to own assets, not cash.

16. ASHDUMP

ASHDUMP NES Member

US30Y_chart.1565866719629.jpeg

Wasn't there a recession in 1990? All the dips represent recessions maybe? Are we all in a tizzy about this?

17. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Better to look at the yield curve itself.
    DFFEAC39-CF44-48A6-8ACE-02FC89AF7E88.png

18. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

That 30yr Treasury Chart seems to show a trend, I wonder why that would be?

It almost looks like the inverse of
    [​IMG]

The amount of Debt we have is not serviceable at traditional rates.

Varmint likes this.
  19. NHCraigT

NHCraigT NES Member

20. xtry51

xtry51

If this is true, which I wouldn't doubt for a second given GEs publically knoen debt load, the feds will bail them out. Zero chance in hell the Feds let GE fail, they'll get a blank check bailout.

21. richc

richc NES Member

There are parts of GE that are critical for military aircraft and more. You are spot on...

Having said that, isn't this how the mess of 2007-2009 started. Bailing out one big bank. Then another. Then another. And then Lehman collapsed and the SHTF...

Varmint likes this.
  22. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

If GE or Sprint go bankrupt you'll also have to bail out all the state pension funds that have been gobbling up their corporate bonds. That'll get real interesting, when people in a recession see the government bailing out its own pensions.

23. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

GE is basically bankrupt now. They cannot produce enough revenue to cover their debt payments, thank Jack W for that

mibro likes this.
  24. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Think they call those zombie corporations, and there are many now. But negative rate bonds like they have in Europe may keep the deck of cards intact for a while.

25. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

The fact household is back up to where it was pre crash just confirms that most people are irresponsible and havent learned a lesson

ASHDUMP likes this.
  26. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Could also be that stagnant wages and a steadily devalued dollar have made daily living unaffordable for many.

But no worries, the government created this problem with its massive deficit spending, and it'll come to the rescue with . . . You guessed it, more deficit spending.

27. exodious

exodious

Homer Simpson said, “To Alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.”

Just replace Alcohol with Government? Hmm nope that sounds backwards, still.

BUMPA01603 and Varmint like this.
  28. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

Dol
    dollar is strong and wages are up to the end user to manage and increase

29. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Dollar is strong relative to currencies of countries with even greater debt problems. But its purchasing power erodes at 5%/year while wages go up 1-2%/year. Only those who own assets benefit from the money printing, and much of the country owns no stocks, bonds or real estate so they get poorer every year. Their problem is they support the very government that is strangling them with its debt spending.

Jason Flare likes this.
  30. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

If you do not own stock/bonds or real estate a d regularly invest buy and sell them, i would hope then you have cash or retirement will just be justifying how to a few pennies from uncle sam to survive

Most of the country participates in a retirement fund, many choose not to and thats a mistake. Whether its a pension or 401k or IRA that choice is yours to make. Ive had discussions with several people who make excuses like its not affordable, i dont have the cash to start one or participate. Then i point to their iPhone or New cell phone, their Cable Bill, their new car, etc. its choices. My choice is not to be dependent on Uncle Sam

Varmint likes this.