• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EchoLink

HAHA Sure...though I think that I can actually hit Waltham from my house.

So try going through Waltham, into EchoLink and over to another repeater. That's what I want to figure out how to do with my HT: air - internet - air. I'll have to wait until after Xmas though (busy).

It's actually very easy.

Think of it this way, if a repeater is already linked to something via echolink (or IRLP, they are both very similar), you simply use the repeater via your radio as you always do.

OR you can link to that same repeater via your PC with Echolink software. As you learned don't have a radio on or PC computer speaker up or you will get some strange (unwelcome) feedback.

The only thing a little different is if you connect to someone via echolink directly PC to PC, then there really is no 'ham radio' involved, it's not different than two people chatting online via skype, yahoo messenger, MSN messenger, etc. The only time you have to worry about amateur radio protocol is anytime an RF link is in the connection (even if you didn't directly connect to a RF link yourself).

if I connect to echo link via the iPhone and I am not near a wifi connection....say I am in my car driving, does it burn data usage via the cell or is it just like making a phone call?

Back
Top Bottom