• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EC TUNER

can anybody explain the science behind this as it sounds like a complete BS?
by rotating front he moves some amount of weight some 1-3 mm back/forth in front of the brake?

Last edited:

I have not. Though, I've considered trying them.

Such a PITA trying to chase down the nodes. Might be an easier way?
The general theory I am aware of.
I am not sure how a 10-20 gram ring moved up on that brake, after brake ports, can actually affect harmonics in a 7lb barrel.

It changes the vibrational harmonic of your barrel.

When you fire a gun there is a wave that travels down the barrel ahead of the bullet. This makes the tip of your barrel deflect from POA. The tuner helps you get bullets to exit the barrel when it is crossing the axis (straight between vibrations).

It's science. Not "The Sciene". Actual physics. It works. You must be a good shooter to take advantage.

Last edited:
I am not sure how a 10-20 gram ring moved up on that brake, after brake ports

Yeah, no idea. Been awhile, I'm fairly certain I've read somewhere estimating how much margin between nodes you could gain. You're probably not going to drill up and down across multiple nodes, probably something like 1/2 node. It's a tuner, primarily.

Ruger even made a 900lb mini 14 target rifle that had a harmonic balancer in it.

only as good as the shooter
While you are 100% correct a tuner is not going to compensate for crappy marksmanship fundamentals. What it will do is change barrel harmonics to assist with getting into a node that shoots well to very well to excellent allot quicker.

Last edited:
If you find a more expedient way by all means please let us know.
If one can reload, then the Optimal Charge Weight (OCW) method by Dan Newberry, is the fastest way to determine when the barrel is firing from 1 of the 2 nodes. His method is simple and works!

But for fixed/commercial rounds, like stock 22LR or deer hunting ammo (where the Browning Boss really shined), then barrel tuners do work!

One guy at Reading R&R once took a dedicated AR 22LR upper by Compass Lake (I believe …), added a tuner to it and OUT SHOT $5,000 Anschutz target rifles at the next 100-yard 22LR match. His lower had a Geiselle trigger in it and I think he was using Wolf rimfire target ammo, where all the other guys were running much more expen$ive Ely ammo to boot.

I should add … after the above occurred, some guys w/ known target rifles added tuners. I believe that then put them into an ‘unlimited’ class, but again it shows they do work.

FWIW, to find the node, I even apply the OCW ladder method (not to be confused with the Audet ladder … ) to some of my competition muzzleloaders and I seen group sizes range from 3 into 1 ragged hole out to 3 into a 6 to 8” group, yikes!

If one can reload, then the Optimal Charge Weight (OCW) method by Dan Newberry, is the fastest way to determine when the barrel is firing from 1 of the 2 nodes. His method is simple and works!

But for fixed/commercial rounds, like stock 22LR or deer hunting ammo (where the Browning Boss really shined), then barrel tuners do work!

One guy at Reading R&R once took a dedicated AR 22LR upper by Compass Lake (I believe …), added a tuner to it and OUT SHOT $5,000 Anschutz target rifles at the next 100-yard 22LR match. His lower had a Geiselle trigger in it and I think he was using Wolf rimfire target ammo, where all the other guys were running much more expen$ive Ely ammo to boot.

I always find it interesting how people come up with the best load for their rifles. There are so many ways to skin the cat. It could go on and on.

Thanks for Dan Newberry (OWC) method. Pretty interesting for sure.

My method is pretty simple. Seat the bullet .010'' off, shoot 3 shot groups in .2-.3 gr increments. Then I work seating depth. Then I go back and work powder again at long range in small increments looking at vertical.
Thanks!

As far as a tuner they can serve their purpose when used correctly to assist with harmonics.

As for rimfire and tuners that’s an even more elaborate subject. Probably worthy of a separate thread. There are MUCH more variables / inconstancies with rimfire ammo alone that a tuner can make a difference.

good read, really starts to getting interesting at post 54.

Last edited:
Many years ago some rimfire guys would put heavy rubber rings at random spots on the barrels. Even seen shooters use stick on wheel weights and stuck 1/4 - 1/2oz weights in random spots.
Old snipers would place cork spacers between stock and barrel to change “harmonics”.
In the end what ever works or what you “think” works

Limbsavers makes a fancy version of the rubber rings. Back then I think they used small ring dog chew toys?
95A615B5-EDA4-4E2F-9C94-77577CAE4910.jpeg

Many years ago some rimfire guys would put heavy rubber rings at random spots on the barrels. Even seen shooters use stick on wheel weights and stuck 1/4 - 1/2oz weights in random spots.
Old snipers would place cork spacers between stock and barrel to change “harmonics”.
In the end what ever works or what you “think” works

Limbsavers makes a fancy version of the rubber rings. Back then I think they used small ring dog chew toys?
View attachment 560272
Yes
they can be effective.

1641341353257.png

Ok, that one I definitely do understand well - it is a lot more mass and way more movement along the barrel.

The brake one had just a tiny rotating ring moving for mere millimeters. Yet if it works I guess it is worth to try.
Plenty of info out there so I will not bore you with muzzle brakes / devices. Quiet simply though, putting on a muzzle brake or any muzzle device will change your POI because ultimately its changing / affecting the harmonics of the barrel.

Yes adding a threaded or clamp on tuner will change the barrel’s harmonics. Hence as in a threaded or clamp on tuner adding weight as you index the tuner in or out places more weight and or more tension affecting the barrel’s flex aka harmonics. Similar thing can also be achived with the “rubber” slip on ones that mac 1911 shown.

1641342739850.jpeg

Haven’t tried one personally but have been reading about them quite a bit. From my research it seems they’re better suited for the guys running factory ammo and don’t have the ability to tune their load. Seems the pros are a lot less once you reload and do proper load development.

They do seem to be becoming more popular with the rimfire prs guys.

is out there a tuner that can properly sit on a cz 457 NON THREADED barrel?

Back
Top Bottom