eBay giving me problems

So today I listed a BCG on eBay, and in the description I happened to put AR 15. I got a call maybe 45 minutes later saying that they were removing the listing because it was something capable of being used in an assault weapon. The lady who called from eBay seemed nice enough, but wouldn't tell me exactly the policy I violated, she just said that mine had been flagged. When I told her that there were currently 8 other listings with the exact same, or very similar item, that had been up for days, she said that they probably were on the list to be reviewed. Being a person with more than a monkey's IQ, I asked why mine had been singled out, and so quickly at that rate. She said that mine just happened to be the one she saw. I asked her where, exactly, the policy was so that I could read it, and she directed me to the help page, where I found this:
iconRestricted_25x25.gif

Restricted

• Accessories and parts for firearms such as butt plates, cases, cleaning supplies, dies, grips, holsters, molds, racks, scopes, slings, stocks, storage cases, or trigger guards.
  • Muzzleloader or black powder gun parts (with the exception of frames or receivers) or accessories, as long as each item is offered in one listing at a time. (However, having separate listings for items that can be used to build a gun is prohibited.)
The following firearm parts are allowed on the eBay US site only. The seller must be in the US and offer domestic shipping only.

• En bloc clips
  • Barrels – shotgun barrels less than 18 inches and rifle barrels less than 16 inches are prohibited
  • Bolts
  • Choke tubes
  • Cylinders
  • Firing pins
  • Hammers
  • Slides
  • Trigger assemblies
  • Sellers must follow all applicable state and local laws for magazine sales. High capacity magazines that accept more than 10 rounds aren't allowed. Please note that some states may have a lower capacity limit.

So, now I ask my fellow NES'ers, which one of these did I violate? The posting was obviously US only and I said no international shipping, and it had nothing about assault weapons, hating America, or anything else that might have thrown up a red flag. Now, they have completed deleted my listing, without a trace of it even in the 'deleted listings' part of my eBay page. Should I chalk this one up to bad luck? Or do I have a reason to be confused and/or upset?

***UPDATE***
So now eBay sent me an email saying that just the use of 'AR15' in the description is considered mentioning an assault weapon. I guess I missed the memo.

Last edited:
I see listings for 1919a4 belt fed MG parts on there all the time. The game is not to mention Killy guns in the description I think they search on ar15 for example.

Figures that my first gun-related post on eBay is removed. It's my own fault for putting AR in the description. They "strongly suggest" that I don't relist. Guess I'll have to put it up on classifieds here instead, unless anyone has a problem with AR15's on here [smile].

- - - Updated - - -

eBay is anti-gun. Accept it. You won't change them or win the argument.

I'll learn from this one and pick my battles. Something tells me you're right.

So the list she pointed you to said holsters were restricted...... I just did a search and it came back with 364,317 holsters!!
They don't even follow their own list, do they just pick and choose who they're going to give a hard time to???

I stopped selling stuff on ebay after 2 sales. Just isn't worth the aggravation, and if there's a problem they almost always side with the buyer. But yeah I've bought plenty of stuff on ebay. [laugh]

yeah, no scopes listed on Ebay. Can't find those anywhere....oh wait.

what a giant bag of dicks.

These are restricted:

Restricted

Accessories and parts for firearms such as butt plates, cases, cleaning supplies, dies, grips, holsters, molds, racks, scopes, slings, stocks, storage cases, or trigger guards.

But all this stuff is OK ???

En bloc clips
Barrels – shotgun barrels less than 18 inches and rifle barrels less than 16 inches are prohibited
Bolts
Choke tubes
Cylinders
Firing pins
Hammers
Slides
Trigger assemblies

WTF ????

ebay sucks. i've sold some non-firearm stuff and it's taken forever to deal with ebay and to get money from paypal. ebay has invoiced me for the sale before paypal even releases the funds. it's like **** you people, release the money and THEN i'll pay you.

i've had an account there for like 12 years and it's only been getting worse and worse.

Last year I was looking for some AR parts and accessories on ebay. I quickly discovered searches for AR15 etc turned up little. Searches for tactical rifle, tactical this, tactical that worked.

For giggles I just now (4/25/14) searched for "tactical bcg" and found 20 of them. There are probably other search terms that would work too.

Ebay is covering their ass probably. They could eliminate most gun related stuff if they really wanted to. It is better for all of us if we don't poke the ebay bear.

I have bought and sold (not gun stuff) on ebay for over 10 years and had very few problems. Some people hate ebay... not me.

So the list she pointed you to said holsters were restricted...... I just did a search and it came back with 364,317 holsters!!
They don't even follow their own list, do they just pick and choose who they're going to give a hard time to???

Yep, I bought a 1911 holster on there.

Last year I was looking for some AR parts and accessories on ebay. I quickly discovered searches for AR15 etc turned up little. Searches for tactical rifle, tactical this, tactical that worked.

For giggles I just now (4/25/14) searched for "tactical bcg" and found 20 of them. There are probably other search terms that would work too.

Ebay is covering their ass probably. They could eliminate most gun related stuff if they really wanted to. It is better for all of us if we don't poke the ebay bear.

I have bought and sold (not gun stuff) on ebay for over 10 years and had very few problems. Some people hate ebay... not me.

I did that too - searched for "bolt carrier group" and got 80 hits.

If you want to sell it on ebay - just ignore their "restrictions". They have their collective head so far up their bung it's a joke.

A while back I had an antique cap gun pulled as a "prohibited item". Just waited a week and re-listed it, with different description used.

I stopped selling stuff on ebay after 2 sales. Just isn't worth the aggravation, and if there's a problem they almost always side with the buyer. But yeah I've bought plenty of stuff on ebay. [laugh]

I've sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay over the years - but yeah - they often side with the buyer.

I have been selling off some of the junk I have around the house over the last month or so to make some $$ to buy some shop equipment. One of the things I put up for sale - for like $7.00 - was a computer hard drive that was clearly failing.

I put in the auction summary description " drive has failures - for parts or repair only" . The Ebay condition (from their own dropdown) - as "For parts or repair only".

In the detailed description I gave more detail - said the drive shows up - but panics the system when it's plugged in and reports bad sectors. Sold for parts or repair only.

Good drives of this same type go for like ten times the $7.00 I put it up for.

Why try to sell a bad hard drive? Because the electronics are likely still good - maybe a platter or two might be good - people DO buy bad drives because they might be trying to do data recovery. I've sold a number over the years.

So what happens? The drive sells. A few days later - I get a message from the buyer saying that he installed the drive into his system - and it doesn't work. He complains that he can't turn it back in for warranty.

I send a message back to him clearly reminding him what the auction description said - and pointing out that not only was it a $7.00 drive - and a good one would be ten times that amount - but that the auction CLEARLY described the drive as FAILED FAILED FAILED.

Then I asked him why if he had doubts why didn't he send me a message and try to clarify what he was buying before just pressing the button.

But oh no - that wasn't good enough . He wants a full refund - plus the cost of shipping. I basically told him to suck on it - the auction said no returns. He contacted Ebay. I contacted Ebay - and sent them the full text of his first message to me where he obviously thought the drive was going to work - because he installed it into his system and was surprised when it didn't.

One thing I've learned over the years - is that there are people out there who are really and truly completely ****ed up in the head. They don't bother paying attention to anything - they get pissed off when their screwed up schemes don't work - and they believe the world owes them everything. When I was younger I didn't quite know how to handle dealing with this crap - now I just sort of go instant full retard on them.

It's going to be interesting to see how Ebay handles this one - because it's been two days and I still haven't heard back from them. The guy was completely pissed off the last time we exchanged messages - because told him the only way he was getting anything out of me - was to return the drive in the same shape it was when I sent it to him - which was partially working. That means he's got to pay shipping back to me - and he won't get a reimbursement from me to do that.

He was pissed.

This is why I avoid eBay. **** them.

It's not always an Ebay problem - it's a buyer is complete and total moron problem. Ebay's problem is that they too often side with effed up buyers. Tha's why I saying it will interesting how they handle this one. If they somehow side with the buyer - I'm going to bitch and bitch hard because in this case the guy is clearly a ****ing retard.

Plenty of other sources to sell on,I only use EBay to sell stupid shit that I cannot find another outlet to move it on.

If you want to sell it on ebay - just ignore their "restrictions". They have their collective head so far up their bung it's a joke.

A while back I had an antique cap gun pulled as a "prohibited item". Just waited a week and re-listed it, with different description used.

I had a matchbook cover pulled, as it had a swastika on it. It was on the armband of a German soldier, who was surrendering because he heard that the Americans had Marlin razor baldes. [laugh]

The offensive symbol was about 3/16" in size.
One of the watchers on the auction emailed me after it was pulled, with an offer [laugh]

I bought my AR barrel on eBay. I paid for it and then it was gone!!! But the seller got his $$ and was in contact with me and I got it no problems.. Lucky i guess...

Just relist it without the bad words in the title...

i avoid eBay and Paypal as much as possible.
they are both politically motivated organizations, so no support from me.

Back
Top Bottom