eating squirrel...

seriously ... how many people eat squirrel ? i know its easy to say ... ya i do ... but honestly ... how many of you go out ... pop 5 and bring them home for you and your wife for dinner ? i cant say i have

I have had it camping when we only caught 2 fish an were still hungry but I never went hunting squirrel to feed the family...

I lived on a steady diet of squirrel when I was a young lad.. Father was in Nam, five kids not alot of money.. mom told me to find some grub, so I grabbed my 22 and shot a mess of them for two months.. it was like forrest gump and shrimp recipes at my house, except it was squirrel..most of the time she made a killer brunswick stew with the little darlins.. thankfully a neighbor who was raising turkeys heard of my plight and allowed me to clean his pens and every week he gave me a bird or a tub of giblets.... I was getting tired of squirrel

I haven't had squirrel in years. But I'm a big proponent in eating what you harvest...otherwise what's the point. WHEN I used to get out every year for squirrel, yes I would eat it. Wife eating it...me no thinky so.

I had posted about eating them a couple years ago and got mostly [puke] comments.

Roast in oven, then into the crock pot with either beef stock or cream of mushroom soup, add potatos and veggies of your choice. after the meat falls off the bones. Ate 'em as a kid and still do on occasion. MrsTwigg & my son will not touch 'em so its more like one or two for my lunch.

I have to quote EC here for posterity's sake... [rofl]

EddieCoyle said:
She's also lying when she says that she's eaten squirrel. I've eaten it and it doesn't taste "just like chicken", it tastes like shit. If she'd really ever had squirrel, she would not mistake it for chicken. If I made squirrel cutlets and served them to my friends, they wouldn't ask, "Are these chicken cutlets?"
They'd ask, "Dude, are these shit cutlets?"

You know this because you've eaten it with garlic and herbs. When you cook it that way, it tastes like garlic, herbs... and shit! You gotta admit, when you were done, you weren't thinking, "Man, I wish there was more of that!" You were thinking, "Holy shit, I'm glad I'm done with that!"

Even if you marinate squirrel in vinegar overnight, and prepare it "right", the best you can do is to make it taste " a little less like shit."

Anybody that eats squirrel and likes it does so only to "justify" killing it. I'm over that now. If I feel like killing squirrels, I go out and kill them. I'll dry their tails, send them to Mepps, and they'll give me $1 each for them. If I use a .22 and kill enough of them, I make money.

(Sourced from an ancient thread.... http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...l-homophobic-bubbas-who-want-to-kill-gays!!!!)

That post is one of the top ten of all time on NES. Ever.

-Mike

Wow, vintage. We got it easy now, back in the day you could be challenged on your sexual orientation AND your squirrel recipes in the same thread.

The problem with squirrel is that they taste like what they've been eating. So if your squirrel stew tastes like shit, you are hunting in the wrong part of town.

Soak the squirrels in salt water over night. Make sure you get ride of the glands under the front arm pits before soaking. Dry, and fry in a cast iron skillet until brown. Remove. Add garlic, onions, fresh quartered tomatoes and jalapenos. Add basil to sweeten and a small amount of fresh Cilantro. Add squirrels back to sauce and simmer until meat falls off the bone. Serve with some wild rice. YUM

Back
Top Bottom