• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Eat rabbit?

The only question I can answer is yes, you can eat r---its. Many people raise them for food. There is a family right here on Plain St that has given them to us to eat. You went by their house today.

Europeans eat a lot. They are served in many restaraunts over there.

They taste like chicken.[grin]

You need to buy a license, and get a copy of the abstract (Hunting & fishing regulations) this lists what's in season and what's not. I carry a copy in my pack. It's squirrel season now, as of the 16th, Phesant, Quail & Grouse. You can kick up a few birds without a dog but it's work.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfwrec.htm

Then find a wildlife management area to hunt. Print out a map. If you really want to find game you'll need to get into the woods off the trails.

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfw_wma.htm

Most of these areas are small but you might want a GPS or at least a compass. If you do get turned around you'll eventually bump into a road and find your way out, but it could be a long night.

This may be a matter of opinion but squirrels and r---its are not vermin. They are small game. ( and quite tasty too when properly prepared.)

Don't shoot anything you're not planning on eating. Perhaps you are not the type who just goes out shooting animinals, but frankly speaking, I can't stand those who do.

Good luck.

Okay wait, I found a link further in.

Hmmm...wow. Doesn't look too hard to skin em'. I take it you chop the head off after that? He didn't do that in the video. Do you cook the meat with the bones in it? Or do you have to cut the meat off the bones first? Or does it not matter?

Wow. This could be a lot of fun.

Also, can you eat r---its? I can't spell the whole word as it would give away one of my prey to Dave and then he would beat the shit out of me for even asking the question. [smile]

One of my friends raises Oryctolagus cuniculus for meat. Another friend keeps several bunnies as pets. When they're both invited to the same pot luck, the former labels his offerings as "chicken with an r". [grin] Whatever you call them, they're pretty tasty.

Hmmm...wow. Doesn't look too hard to skin em'. I take it you chop the head off after that? He didn't do that in the video. Do you cook the meat with the bones in it? Or do you have to cut the meat off the bones first? Or does it not matter?

Once you have the skin off to the wrists just cut the paws and head off. Don't forget that once you've skinned it you still need to gut it: best done right away. Generally squirrel is cooked on the bone. Once it's cooked the meat comes off a lot easier.

moon5.gif

I've only had store bought or family raised rabbits. Man do I miss my grandma's cooking.

Anyone know how they compare to wild rabbits?

What about the risk of tularemia ?

Any good spots to hunt in Norfolk county?

I've only had store bought or family raised rabbits. Man do I miss my grandma's cooking.

Anyone know how they compare to wild rabbits?

What about the risk of tularemia ?

Any good spots to hunt in Norfolk county?

First, welcome to NES !

Wild rabbits tend to be a bit leaner (Not as much meat.) than the farm raised / store bought type.

As far as tularemia goes, my grandpa taught me to examine the entrails for white spots. To this day I've never observed any. I'm not an expert.
More on this below;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia

For information on where to hunt, go here;
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfw_wma.htm

Good luck !

There have recently been cases of tularemia on Martha's Vineyard. Dunno if the patients were exposed to the disease from rabbits...

Can you eat rabbit?

Jim
Haven't You ever heard of a Welch Rabbit Sandwich ?
excellent on homemade style wheat bread [rofl]
bob

Jim
Buy a large game animal hunting lic. and I will take You out to Central Mass. hunting , when We break for lunch , You can order a Welch Rabbit Sandwich in the little general store till you get some Venison.
Bob [laugh2]

Hi Bob,

Heh,heh. No I hadn't heard of that but I started the thread to freak Dave out as he loves bunnies. [smile] [wink]

Back
Top Bottom