• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Easy to join/Laid back club in southern NH

I'm moving to Merrimack, NH in three weeks and I'd like to join an area club to warm up whatever evil black gun I wind up buying. I've done a bit of research, and while I've found a few clubs, all seem to have drawn out, convoluted membership processes and none seem to have the laid back, rural atmosphere I love (I'm currently a member at Littleton Gun Club in MA). I will likely join more than one club, but I'm going to have an itchy trigger finger for my new SCAR or ACR and I'd love a club that's OK with plinking/water bottle shooting.

I'm a big respecter of the 4 rules, as well as club property, but the notion of going to three months of meetings and taking a background check (when I already have to do that to get my LTC up there) before I can even shoot seems like a little much. Is there a club in Southern NH for me?

I'm a member of Horseshoe Fish and Game in Merrimack. The club does have the three month of meetings and background check (or show of pistol permit) requirement but you don't actually have to wait until you are a full member to shoot. Most events are open to non members, all are open to potential members and you can shoot there as a prospective member if another member is there. It could be simpler yes, but it's not as complicated as it seems.

Not sure what the procedure to join is at Nashua Fish and Game but that's the bigger club in town. There are a lot of other clubs in nearby towns but Pelham has the most to offer. Joining Manchester Firing Line's commercial range is easy, and I think Wilson Hill Pistol is not that difficult but it's indoor pistol only.

If you are interested in checking out Horseshoe Fish and Game despite the application hassles let me know. I know there is at least one other NES member there as well.

I'm a member of Horseshoe Fish and Game in Merrimack. The club does have the three month of meetings and background check (or show of pistol permit) requirement but you don't actually have to wait until you are a full member to shoot. Most events are open to non members, all are open to potential members and you can shoot there as a prospective member if another member is there. It could be simpler yes, but it's not as complicated as it seems.

Not sure what the procedure to join is at Nashua Fish and Game but that's the bigger club in town. There are a lot of other clubs in nearby towns but Pelham has the most to offer. Joining Manchester Firing Line's commercial range is easy, and I think Wilson Hill Pistol is not that difficult but it's indoor pistol only.

If you are interested in checking out Horseshoe Fish and Game despite the application hassles let me know. I know there is at least one other NES member there as well.

Looks like a nice club, ill have to check them out myself. Just need to find a way to get Tuesday nights off from work.

sent from the Evo

Take a look at Pelham. I joined last year and it's a great club. If you don't have a sponsor, joining is still easy, send in an application, then go down for a interview. Three people ask you a few questions to make sure you are sane, and then you are in. Attend one 2-hr indoctrination/safety meeting and that's it.
I love to shoot at Pelham, they have a range for every type of shooting, indoor, outdoor, pistol, rifle, Class III, action ranges, long ranges, skeet and trap, plinking, archery, you name it. My wife and I use the Action range the most, you essentially have it to yourself and can do whatever type of shooting you enjoy in there. A lot of people with rifles use the Utility Range which is 150yds. They are building a 600yd range as well. Not too far from Merrimack.

They are building a 600yd range as well. Not too far from Merrimack.

For how many years by now, 8-10?

Something like that Juergen. And after the posts below, I'd stear clear for a bit 'til they have things sorted out.

Ok, I hear vibes of discontent between the Pres. and VP against all other club factions. Apparently the Trap guys are revolting against the administration of the club. Apparently they are looking for a new Treasurer/ secretary. I heard they are having problems reaching a quorom ( at the Board Meetings?)...because of it . Many feel that the Club is becoming the private training ground or base location for a private training group ( for that private training groups profit and benefit). Who is that private group? and is this true?

Apparently many are joining the Methuen club because of it.....

I was going to join there but was told last week about certain "issues" like debt and whatnots. I decided to hold off because the person told me they MAY close down. Keep me updated all! I'd like to join but not if they are going to close.

Oh boy .......trap shooters vs rifle vs pistol vs ....sounds familure. I can remember being a kid with my dad at the club the fuds where complaining about everything that wasn't a bolt action, revolver, or 1911....seems to me rather than run to new club people should get on the bod

The club in Bedford's pretty relaxed, from talking to a coworker who's a member there. Don't recall the name of the club.

Nashua F&G is NOT what I'd call laid-back. Lots of rules and wringing through, which is understandable considering how careful they have to be with all the housing and roads surrounding them.

I appreciate that man, and I may hit you up on it. It looks like it's got some nice ranges for sure, and it would certainly be convenient.

If you don't mind a little drive, check out Chester Rod and Gun. I'm a member there, very laid back, very friendly people... no long wait to join. http://www.chesterrodandgunclub.com/

This place looks great... it is a little bit of a drive, but the bowling pin shoots look like a lot of fun and the application process looks very straight forward.

Take a look at Pelham. I joined last year and it's a great club. If you don't have a sponsor, joining is still easy, send in an application, then go down for a interview. Three people ask you a few questions to make sure you are sane, and then you are in. Attend one 2-hr indoctrination/safety meeting and that's it.
I love to shoot at Pelham, they have a range for every type of shooting, indoor, outdoor, pistol, rifle, Class III, action ranges, long ranges, skeet and trap, plinking, archery, you name it. My wife and I use the Action range the most, you essentially have it to yourself and can do whatever type of shooting you enjoy in there. A lot of people with rifles use the Utility Range which is 150yds. They are building a 600yd range as well. Not too far from Merrimack.

I have a buddy at Pelham... a few months ago it was looking like we were going to be in Windham, so that was a no brainer, but now we're just under an hour away unfortunately. Seems like there may be a little drama going on there too, though no idea how much (if at all) that effects day to day life there.

For those interested in long range shooting, here's a neat find by the way - http://pemi.org/ - they're about an hour and change north of where I'll be, but it looks like they're working on a 1000 yard range, which would be pretty incredible.

Thank you for all the replies!

I was a member of Pelham for a year, and it was almost an hour each way. The action pits and utility range were nice. Horseshoe is right off Continental Blvd, there are some hoops to jump through, but I enjoy it there. Hopefully in September the second season of bowling pins will be starting [grin]. If you want to see the place, please let me know.

Last edited:
Not sure what the procedure to join is at Nashua Fish and Game but that's the bigger club in town.

There's less paperwork and process involved in becoming an 8th Level Mason.

OP, give a look to Purgatory Falls Fish and Game. Small club, small range (out to 100 yards), rural feel, EBR-friendly. Membership isn't very onerous, although the process is in flux right now. Even after/if it changes, it won't be bad. Open shotgun every Saturday 0900-1200, so you can shoot some clays and get a feel for the people/range.

Londonderry F&G is easy to join. Jump on the rt3 to rt3A bridge and you are pretty much there. Pay up, go to meeting and get key. In the few years I was there I only bumped into someone else on a range a few times. 100yd rifle, 25 yd pistol, archery. Plans for 300yd rifle eventually

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

There's less paperwork and process involved in becoming an 8th Level Mason.

I thought it was pretty easy. The problem some may find with Nashua is you have to prove your are a competent shooter before you are allowed to shoot in different areas. One misfired round of the range and the place will get shut down. I shoot highpower there and enjoy the 600 yard range.

For what the OP is looking for i don't think Nashua would be a fit.

- - - Updated - - -

For shits and giggles, I decided to check the membership page for Nashua Fish and Game, and it was grammar fail.

View attachment 36572

You must blow your stack looking at Facebook

I had no problem at all.

I was on the waiting list for about 6 months for the Nashua Fish and Game. I went in to a trustee's meeting and had a 5 minute conversation with a trustee. Showed my Pistol Permit and my C&R FFL. and I was in. Attended one orientation and you can shoot at the pistol range. Took the one hour orientation on the Fowler Range ((25, 50 and 100 meters) and immediately qualified on the 25 meter range with my iron sights on my AK while most where shooting scoped 22s. I plan to qualify on the Action Pistol Range when I get a free Saturday. The ranges are some of the best in the area. I think the rules keeps people out that I don't want to be shooting next to...And I don't have a problem with that. I was tired of shooting at MFL public range next to armed morons and mental defectives. I have no problem with the rules.

Mark

Last edited:
Londonderry F&G is easy to join. Jump on the rt3 to rt3A bridge and you are pretty much there. Pay up, go to meeting and get key. In the few years I was there I only bumped into someone else on a range a few times. 100yd rifle, 25 yd pistol, archery. Plans for 300yd rifle eventually

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Seconded.

I just signed up recently.

25yd, 50yd, another 50yd, and a 100yd.

Plans are for a new 400yd.

Place is usually pretty empty.

I love it.

I am a member of the Pemi Valley Fish and Game. They have indoor pistol range, a couple outdoor ranges (50 feet, 100 yard, 200 yard) and they are developing a 1000yd range later this year!!!!

I am a member of the Pemi Valley Fish and Game. They have indoor pistol range, a couple outdoor ranges (50 feet, 100 yard, 200 yard) and they are developing a 1000yd range later this year!!!!

Don't hold your breath;

They are building a 600yd range as well. Not too far from Merrimack.

For how many years by now, 8-10?

Something like that Juergen. And after the posts below, I'd stear clear for a bit 'til they have things sorted out.

Ok, I hear vibes of discontent between the Pres. and VP against all other club factions. Apparently the Trap guys are revolting against the administration of the club. Apparently they are looking for a new Treasurer/ secretary. I heard they are having problems reaching a quorom ( at the Board Meetings?)...because of it . Many feel that the Club is becoming the private training ground or base location for a private training group ( for that private training groups profit and benefit). Who is that private group? and is this true?

Apparently many are joining the Methuen club because of it.....

I was going to join there but was told last week about certain "issues" like debt and whatnots. I decided to hold off because the person told me they MAY close down. Keep me updated all! I'd like to join but not if they are going to close.

Londonderry F&G is easy to join. Jump on the rt3 to rt3A bridge and you are pretty much there. Pay up, go to meeting and get key. In the few years I was there I only bumped into someone else on a range a few times. 100yd rifle, 25 yd pistol, archery. Plans for 300yd rifle eventually2
I just wanted to thank you for this recommendation. The Londonderry club looks to be just the ticket for me and my wife. I contacted the president, Richard Olson, and hope to get a grand tour some time this week before I PayPal my $$$ to the club.

Being an uber-geek, I love the fact that almost everything regarding the application can be done online.

- Dave

I joined londonderry a few months ago, it is a pretty laid back club.
Cool. I hear they have about 700 members and are still growing.

I got to speak with the VP, Richard Tracy, this morning and will be attending next Tuesday evening's monthly meeting. If I like the place as much as I think I will, I'll be joining right there on the spot.

- Dave

I belong to the Pelham F&G and love it. All clubs have politics. I choose to not get involved in that. I attend the meetings and there are also plenty of others there. I've never been to a meeting that didn't make a quorum. There is the indoor pistol range. There is also the utility range (with roof) that has a 25, 50 and 100 yard range. There are the silhouette range, and the action ranges. The club is adding roofs/shelters to the action range and silouhette range. There is also a turning target range. You can always find a place to shoot. After the orientation/safety meeting you may request qualification for the indoor range so you can use it. Yiogo

I also belong to Tyngsboro which is another excellent club but I'm a NH resident and go to Pelham for guns and Tyngsboro for archery. Tyngsboro has an indoor range for guns, outdoor pistol and an outdoor rifle range. The club also has indoor archery and outdoor 3d targets. Yiogo

Glad to hear it. Only reason I left was because of my impending doom. (moving to MA). I was only going to keep 1 membership in NH, and I decided to keep Hudson F&G because I have friends there.

Back
Top Bottom