• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

EASY Fishing suggestions, Natick/Framingham area?

Our 12-year-old is keen on learning to fish, and I want to make her first few trips as easy and successful as possible. Does anyone have any good suggestions? Any kind of fish is fine, as it's mostly for her to get the experience.

We hit Lake Cochituate last weekend without luck, and I'm afraid if we go too many times w/o a catch she might lose interest... (I'm competing with MMPORGs, here!)

I would ask at a local tackle shop where you can take her to bobber fish for some sunfish or perch. This way she'll definitely catch something and have a blast doing it.

I agree with Beansie. Find a dock someplace and look in the water. Lots of times you'll see schools of sunfish. Come back with your daughter and throw a worm under a bobber. You'll catch sunfish until your arms are tired.

Here in the far west it's still pretty early in the season, and it's pre-spawn. It's a little late to be getting trout near shore, and the bass are scattered. Soon the water will warm up enough for pumpkinseeds and bluegills to spawn, and shortly after that kid-fishing action will be hot.

Bass will spawn first, when the water temperature reaches somewhere near 60 degrees and a proliferation of small sunfish will follow as the water approaches 70 or so (I think).

Best kidfishing usually occurs after June 1, in my experience. Get an ultralight rig and wait. Wrastling them bluegills in on 4-pound line will usually provide the thrill that will lead to a lifetime of fishing.

Good luck!

Yes, it's early for the kiddie fish. Head to the Natick Outdoor Store and they have all the gear you'll need and probably have some recommendations too. Worms will serve you well.

Once it is warmer you can try the Charles River at the South Natick Falls. There's a small inlet pool just after the falls on the Dover side.

And remember, it's called fishing, not catching [wink]

Last edited:
I agree about it being early. The water is still cold and spawn is coming or here in some spots.
Late May/early June is a good time for panfish. Bobbers, small hooks, night crawlers, and light tackle makes for a good time for kids learning to fish. You may already know all this but just in case, fishing near cover like boat docks, rocks, or nearby shallow grass is always a god spot for bluegills, perch, and even the occasional largemouth Bass.

I agree about it being early. The water is still cold and spawn is coming or here in some spots.
Late May/early June is a good time for panfish. Bobbers, small hooks, night crawlers, and light tackle makes for a good time for kids learning to fish. You may already know all this but just in case, fishing near cover like boat docks, rocks, or nearby shallow grass is always a god spot for bluegills, perch, and even the occasional largemouth Bass.

Not too small, or the little buggers will swallow them... I hate that. [sad]

Back
Top Bottom