• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Easton couple gives $300,000 to DFW to buy land.

http://www.enterprisenews.com/features/x2084593712/Easton-couple-s-bequest-preserves-open-space

Calvin and Annette Farrell of Easton are gone, but their love for the outdoors will live on in acres of open space purchased thanks to their generosity.

More than $300,000 which Calvin left in his will to the state’s Division of Fisheries and Wildlife Wildland’s Fund has been used to purchase 278 acres of wilderness in western Massachusetts in the towns of Ashfield and Hawley. Future generations of fishermen, hunters and outdoor enthusiasts will be able to enjoy the land without the worry of developers building on it.

Feel good story of the day. Thought some good news was in order!

...Massachusetts officials committed to buying land and promised the money would not be used for anything else.

Okay. They bought the land as promised. Not to be the lone pessimist, but I wonder how long before local politicians decide their town has to lease or sell the land to generate revenue.

I could point to another situation in MA where a town was gifted open land and, after some years, decided they were just gonna do what they pleased with "town land".

Okay. They bought the land as promised. Not to be the lone pessimist, but I wonder how long before local politicians decide their town has to lease or sell the land to generate revenue.

I could point to another situation in MA where a town was gifted open land and, after some years, decided they were just gonna do what they pleased with "town land".

I guess this is what worries me as well, it'd be nicer to see the land purchased and put in a trust or some other method and kept open to the public. I never really care for the idea of the .gov owning more land. I would worry it would just be a matter of time until that land becomes a "preserve" with no hunting/fishing/camping on it. But! It was a very nice thing to do and it's awesome to see their wishes carried out.

Anybody who uses that land will owe a debt of gratitude to Calvin and Annette.

If DFW owns it, isn't it -state land at that point, like a state park? I wasn't aware that towns could sell of state land.

-Mike

Is there no land in Easton to protect for conservation/hunting/fishing? Or anywhere else more East, which is getting slimmer and slimmer?

Easton is loaded with swathes of protected/donated land. Plus Borderland state park and the Sheep Pasture/NRT. Not passing judgment on the right amount.

Easton is loaded with swathes of protected/donated land. Plus Borderland state park and the Sheep Pasture/NRT. Not passing judgment on the right amount.

So that is where all the sheeple in SE MA were bred! [thinking] [laugh]

If the deed has a conservation restriction on it, it's pretty much un-developable.

MassWildlife is "pushing" for this ( not in a bad way) WRT sportsmen's clubs....it helps to make the land less desirable for covetous developers.

Indeed. I've been told that a certain developer allegedly made some comments some years ago about hoping to take over the Braintree R&P land some day to develop it into more condos! [thinking] [rolleyes]

Last edited:
Borderlands is a MA state park, whatever their rules are. Sheep Pasture has a mini farm and educational junk people constantly jogging through not likely you can hunt there. All over town are signs abutting woods that state how many acres, donated by whom, those might be legal to hunt, none of them seem to have trails or much use.

MassWildlife is "pushing" for this ( not in a bad way) WRT sportsmen's clubs....it helps to make the land less desirable for covetous developers.

This is a VERY dangerous things for clubs to do.

Clubs have one very powerful tool in dealing with neighbors - the "other option". Someone may not like having a gun club down the street, but they can become less concerned once they realize that the option is a new housing development, industrial park or 40B project. If the only alternative is for it to be left as undevelopable conservation land, there is suddenly no risk in pushing to have the club shut down ... and the club is assured it cannot get a decent price for the land in the event someone does succeed in shutting down the ranges.

Clubs have one very powerful tool in dealing with neighbors - the "other option". Someone may not like having a gun club down the street, but they can become less concerned once they realize that the option is a new housing development, industrial park or 40B project. If the only alternative is for it to be left as undevelopable conservation land, there is suddenly no risk in pushing to have the club shut down ... and the club is assured it cannot get a decent price for the land in the event someone does succeed in shutting down the ranges.

Indeed. Do you want to deal with us and our noise, or the scumbag developer behind door #3?

Good point.

Good point.

Yes, this was foisted on the membership of one club I belonged to with the "promise" of reduced taxes (but never defined, it was already taxed as "open space" under MGLs). The vote was very contentious as those pushing it did not want to hear any opposition and were rude to those of us speaking against it. Result was that they voted the conservation restriction which essentially gives the land to the town if the club decides to move/cease operations/etc. Club president on advice of Counsel resigned (as all liability would allegedly fall on officers as club was worthless to sue as it could not be attached) immediately after the vote was taken and subsequently we both quit the club (for different but related reasons). From what I've been able to see (VA online) the taxes have not been lowered by this action.

Back
Top Bottom