• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Easthampton MA Couple arraigned on gun charges

PaulR

NES Member
Credit: Daily Hampshire Gazette

Easthampton couple arraigned on gun charges

NORTHAMPTON — An Easthampton couple pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges that they illegally possessed large-capacity and assault weapons in a case that has involved federal authorities and three police departments across the state.

Hiram Rodriguez Jr., 45, was arraigned in Hampshire Superior Court on charges of unlawful possession of a large-capacity weapon, unlawful possession of an assault weapon, conspiracy, unlawful possession of ammunition and eight counts of unlawful possession of a large-capacity feeding device.

Cherie A. Rodriguez, 44, pleaded not guilty later to charges of unlawful possession of a large-capacity weapon, unlawful possession of an assault weapon, conspiracy, concealing evidence and misleading police.

The couple, of 1 Maxine Circle, were released on personal recognizance with conditions. A third person is named in the conspiracy charge but no charges have been brought against him.

Easthampton Police first learned of possible concerns with the Rodriguezes’ gun possession in August and September 2017 after being contacted by Boston Police about two handguns that had been reported stolen from Hiram Rodriguez’s vehicle on Aug. 6. Boston Police told Easthampton officers that there was no forced entry or damage to the vehicle and there was no damage to the lockbox that the guns were reportedly secured in, according to a report by Easthampton PoliceDetective Nicholas Weidhaas III.
Easthampton Police were then contacted by the Acushnet Police Department on Sept. 7 regarding an incident in which Rodriguez was alleged to have stolen a rifle scope from a gun shop in Acushnet, Weidhaas wrote.

Rodriguez allegedly admitted to police he stole the scope and was having mental health issues, had not taken his prescribed medication and was contemplating suicide, Weidhass wrote. Police issued a suspension of Rodriguez’s license to carry, based on his suicidal statements, Weidhaas wrote.

According to court documents, seven of the 13 firearms registered to the couple were not accounted for when police searched their residence Sept. 20. One gun, a 9 mm Sig Sauer, was recovered by the Boston Police Department on Aug. 25 during the arrest of another man. Police said the gun was not reported stolen or missing.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives was contacted by local police to research the firearms.

During the police visit Sept. 20, Cherie Rodriguez was surprised when told her husband never reported the Sig Sauer missing, Weidhaas wrote. She was also questioned at the police station.

While speaking with officers, Hiram Rodriguez unlocked multiple gun cabinets in his bedroom’s closet. There, officers found multiple 30-round-capacity magazines for an AR-15-style rifle that were not pre-ban magazines and are illegal to possess in Massachusetts, even if the possessor has a license to carry, Weidhaas wrote.

Rodriguez told police he forgot they were in the safe and thought he had “pre-bans,” or magazines manufactured prior to September 1994, according to the report. Rodriguez was alleged to have conducted five personal firearms sales in 2016 and again in 2017, but state law only allows up to four personal transfers during a calendar year.

In court Tuesday, both Hiram and Cherie Rodriguez had court-appointed attorneys at their respective arraignments but it is unclear whether they qualified as indigent. Hiram Rodriguez was represented by attorney Alan Rubin. Cherie Rodriguez was represented by attorney Alfred Chamberland.

The two are scheduled to appear in court on June 22 for a clarification of counsel hearing.

Emily Cutts can be reached at [email protected].

Rodriguez allegedly admitted to police he stole the scope and was having mental health issues, had not taken his prescribed medication and was contemplating suicide, Weidhass wrote. Police issued a suspension of Rodriguez’s license to carry, based on his suicidal statements, Weidhaas wrote.

Wait, ERPO hasn't been voted through yet, do you mean to tell me police can already do this?!? /s [rolleyes]

So who did they harm? Who did these people victimize?

Must have missed that part...

"One gun, a 9 mm Sig Sauer, was recovered by the Boston Police Department on Aug. 25 during the arrest of another man. Police said the gun was not reported stolen or missing."

I think the tl/dr here is the guy's buying guns, saying they were "stolen" and potentially selling them to prohibited persons. I've got 0 sympathy until more details come out because when you sit down and read it from the angle "what happened" we're left with gaping holes. It's possible the owner didn't turn in his guns when CLEO revoked his license and therefore ordered the search, and of course the stolen gun with no sign of forced entry smells of filing a false police report.

OK so his permit was pulled because he told the police he was thinking about suicide...not a smart move on his part but the police have to take it seriously. He was charged with unlawful possession of a assault weapon except the article does not mention they found one...just magazines, non-prebans to boot. I think there is more to this than is written here.

100% not the whole story

Pat for the course when it comes to the daily Hampshire gazettes “gun stuff”

I'm a half glass full type of person, there are lots of ways to get into a car with out leaving a sign. Possible that the lock box was picked, rare, unlikely but not out the realms of possible.

The gun found on the other person was not reported stolen, so whats the crime, assuming the friend was licensed, he simple leant a firearm to a friend? why would he report it stolen.

I don't support criminals, but I don't like seeing people jammed up.

Yeah this lost me at getting caught stealing a rifle scope and claiming suicidal mental illness. Charges may be weak but it’s still a good shoot...

While speaking with officers, Hiram Rodriguez unlocked multiple gun cabinets in his bedroom’s closet. There, officers found multiple 30-round-capacity magazines for an AR-15-style rifle that were not pre-ban magazines and are illegal to possess in Massachusetts, even if the possessor has a license to carry, Weidhaas wrote.

ffs, there are no less than ten gun shops within a twenty-minute radius of me that sell 30-round magazines. Perfectly legal. No ID or license required. Cash on the barrel head thanks have a great day yup I'm going to the range!

crime by invisible state line.

MA can suck-start a shotgun.

Weird it makes a big deal out of the magazines but then the poorly written article doesnt indicate, unless theyre calling that an "Assault weapon" in the charges but then wouldnt it be 3? lol

A lot more going on here than AWB violations.

Someone was arrested with his gun, he stole a scope from a gun shop, and he told police he wanted to kill himself.

110% this dude is a scumbag. They are going to charge him with everything under the sun and hope something sticks.

I would venture he was buying for PPs judging by the conspiracy charge. It won't stick.. it never does.

110% this dude is a scumbag.
False. He (and his wife) are the victims here.

Stealing a scope aside, how would you feel if you were robbed for reporting mental health issues and having metal boxes in your possession? Unfortunately this just reinforces the idea that gun owners have a lot to lose by reporting mental health crises. Sad really.

False. He (and his wife) are the victims here.

Stealing a scope aside, how would you feel if you were robbed for reporting mental health issues and having metal boxes in your possession? Unfortunately this just reinforces the idea that gun owners have a lot to lose by reporting mental health crises. Sad really.

All the stories paint a larger picture...

Read the article..

"Easthampton Police first learned of possible concerns with the Rodriguezes’ gun possession in August and September 2017 after being contacted by Boston Police about two handguns that had been reported stolen from Hiram Rodriguez’s vehicle on Aug. 6. Boston Police told Easthampton officers that there was no forced entry or damage to the vehicle and there was no damage to the lockbox that the guns were reportedly secured in, according to a report by Easthampton Police Detective Nicholas Weidhaas III.

Easthampton Police were then contacted by the Acushnet Police Department on Sept. 7 regarding an incident in which Rodriguez was alleged to have stolen a rifle scope from a gun shop in Acushnet, Weidhaas wrote.

According to court documents, seven of the 13 firearms registered to the couple were not accounted for when police searched their residence Sept. 20. One gun, a 9 mm Sig Sauer, was recovered by the Boston Police Department on Aug. 25 during the arrest of another man. Police said the gun was not reported stolen or missing."

So he is stealing from gun shops, he reports 2 firearms stolen from his vehicle.. but no forced entry and no dmg to the lockbox.. then someone is arrested with a 3rd firearm he bought that was never reported lost or stolen.

Read between the lines... I mean how do you think PPs and criminals get guns? An LTC holder who needs money buys them and then "loses" them. You lose them one time. Ok whatever.. even if it looks shady, shit happens. Then you steal from a gunshop. Hrm that is getting really suspicious. Then someone gets arrested with a gun that you didn't report lost on top of that? Yeah.. I don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to know your up to something. I got no problem with getting him on whatever the f*** you have after that. Plus his excuse to the items in the safe is " I forgot they were in there" ...come on dude.

That and I can tell by the picture he is a pill head.

Look I'm not for any of the gun laws.. but in this case they are being used as a means to an end. Its hard to prove straw sales.. they are getting him on what they have. He would not be getting bothered about boxes of metal at all if he wasn't f***ing around every which way.

The 30 round mag charge makes me see red, but I agree with others that it sounds like he might be a straw purchaser the way the story reads.

Back
Top Bottom