• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Eastern Security Sportsman safes

I'm writing to ask if anyone has purchased one of the house brand Sportsman safes from Eastern Security and how you like it. These seem to have the best on paper specs out of anything else
I've been seeing for the same kind of money. While I'd love to buy a nice Fort Knox, I don't have that kind of money to devote to this. I have a very small number of guns, nothing particularly valuable, but I'll also be putting other things in their such as paperwork, etc. I'd rather a have higher quality smaller safe than a cheaper bigger one. Any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated, as well as any suggestions that might fall on line that I haven't thought of. I'm planning to get down there this week as I'm off work until after the new year, possibly Dependable Lock in Nashua as well.

Thanks,

Sean

They are a dealer member here, and I BELIEVE (don't quote me) they have shared on here who their OEM source is. They don't post often, you should be able to google all their posts.

I am no expert and did not buy the house brand, only because they had a Browning on sale that was too hard to pass up. It seems to me, they use several mfgs, Browning and Liberty as a source. The reason i believe this is look at the door organizing feature on several of the Green Mountain Boy safes. They are identical to Browning safes.

It is less clear to me why I thought it was liberty, perhaps due to the size and weight, or even the naming, but I was pretty sure it was liberty as well.

The house brand safe was on special here a while back and I missed it however they had another deal on a Superior that I jumped on. NO regrets. Outstanding delivery.

I stopped into Dependable because they were close. Stayed with Eastern Security. Much better selection and pricing.

I can't tell you much about their house brand, but I will say I bought a safe from them about 10 years ago and it was a very nice buying experience. I would do business with them again in a minute if I needed another safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son and I each bought their 30" safes. I researched for days and had decided on a Liberty. They had their tent sale (July?) and I went to the
event with my son. Spent almost two hours talking to them. I kept comparing theirs to a Liberty and other brands and decided on theirs. Great to deal with and very patient with me. I cannot count how many times both of us have said what a great safe it is. Very, very happy!

When I was looking for a safe I went to their tent sale and bought their ESS 50 and I'm very happy with it. It's bolted to the basement floor and even if it wasn't, that thing isn't going to move easily. Though their installers got it into the house without any issue.

Just wanted to add one thing. If you are not having them deliver it into your house, line up some serious beef to help you. My son and his buddy are big brutes and me not so much. Getting two safes into the house without damaging anything is not easy. We hand a powered hand truck and that helped. Both of us agreed that next time we would pay to have the pros do it.

Thanks for the replies. I recently helped a friend with a big Canon safe and it was a major PITA, but we did it. I'll definitely keep the pros in mind depending on my situation. I think I'm heading off to Dependable now to check out their stock, seeing as how there's nobody picking up at ESS. Maybe I'll get to ESS another day.

-Sean

I bought the ESS 30 back in July. It's all made in China, with a chinese made lock and has a 5 year warranty instead of the lifetime that Liberty and others offer. I was pretty much set on buying a Champion safe, but when I saw this safe, the price difference was too much to pass up for a minimal amount of gain when comparing specs.

Always buy twice as big a safe as you think you need

I have a very small number of guns, nothing particularly valuable, but I'll also be putting other things in their such as paperwork, etc. I'd rather a have higher quality smaller safe than a cheaper bigger one. Any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated, as well as any suggestions that might fall on line that I haven't thought of.
Remember, when buying a gun safe, take the number of guns you expect to ever need to fit in it, multiply by 2.

I would recommend keeping paperwork separate, in a dedicated firesafe designed for documents, or even an insulated file cabinet. These (very heavy!) fire-resistent file cabinets often show up relatively cheap as surplus or in gov't auctions, though you will often need to replace the lock.

Most of their house brands that I saw a few years back were Browning DLX models with different paint schemes. I was in for a "26" and each of the 3 were at least. Look at the door labels on them.

I keep forgetting Dependable Lock in Nashua is even an option, what'd you think of them?

I went to Dependable because ESS was either closed today or not answering their phone. I went to look at a Liberty Colonial and the guy informed me they had a leftover of a discounted higher model which ended up being cheaper money for a better safe with the discount. I bought it and took it home today. I didn't really feel like hauling to Mendon anyway. The guys as Dependable were friendly and helpful.

The safe I bought has some room to grow, but I'm really not expanding the collection more than maybe a gun a year at best, and I have more interest in handguns than long guns. I currently have something for any occasion I can see myself encountering, and there are only a couple more handguns I really want so it should be plenty for me.

Sean

I went to Dependable because ESS was either closed today or not answering their phone. I went to look at a Liberty Colonial and the guy informed me they had a leftover of a discounted higher model which ended up being cheaper money for a better safe with the discount. I bought it and took it home today. I didn't really feel like hauling to Mendon anyway. The guys as Dependable were friendly and helpful.

The safe I bought has some room to grow, but I'm really not expanding the collection more than maybe a gun a year at best, and I have more interest in handguns than long guns. I currently have something for any occasion I can see myself encountering, and there are only a couple more handguns I really want so it should be plenty for me.

Sean

Famous last words! I said much the same after three and now I have seven handguns! [rofl]
("too good a deal to pass up" happened twice, "I can use this one to train new shooters" and "I can graduate newish shooters to this larger caliber revolver" etc.)

Famous last words! I said much the same after three and now I have seven handguns! [rofl]
("too good a deal to pass up" happened twice, "I can use this one to train new shooters" and "I can graduate newish shooters to this larger caliber revolver" etc.)

[smile]
Yeah, I know what you're getting at, but I've already been through a rotation of many different kinds/brands/actions since I bought my first gun 13 years ago. I've bought/sold/traded many and am now at a point where I don't buy on a whim or just because I think it's cool anymore. I now look at something at my LGS and think to myself "What can this do for me that my bought and paid for XXXXX can't do?" I don't have any trouble leaving things behind at the shop anymore. I earn well, but with retirements, college savings, next car fund(we don't finance vehicles anymore) emergency fund, etc...to fund (which are all more important than this is to me)it leaves me a limited amount of money to spend on this. I have a bit of play money on occasion so I buy with much more purpose than I used to. I also figure that by keeping my caliber selections narrow, I can shoot more by having to buy fewer types of ammo/components. I also reload for my pistols.

Sean

Back
Top Bottom