• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Eastern security branded safe. Anyone have one?

Rick1987

NES Member
Well yesterday the wife and I went to eastern security and safe in mendon.

They had so many pretty safes

Does anyone have any expirence with there own brand "eastern security" safes?

The quality and price seamed very nice to me.

They are a reputable bunch. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them. If they brand it under their name, they probably are offering a decent safe at a good price point.

How hard do you think it would be to move the safe myself?

I think the hardest part would be getting it off the truck without banging it up.

My apt is on the first floor with no steps or ramps, straight in level ground.

Maybe I can bargain with them, they said they would drop it off for $200, maybe I can also get them to bring it in for the $200.

How hard do you think it would be to move the safe myself?

I think the hardest part would be getting it off the truck without banging it up.

My apt is on the first floor with no steps or ramps, straight in level ground.

Maybe I can bargain with them, they said they would drop it off for $200, maybe I can also get them to bring it in for the $200.

I really don't see you moving it yourself unless you have someway to roll it. I had 4 of us, I bought a 1,000lb Champion Legacy safe from Eastern and picked it up at the store with my 1ton dually. My son and I eased it off the truck, after that, my wheel dollie wasn't not very happy, grabbed a few more friends and just plain got lucky after that. My safe is on the ground floor also, but it honestly took 4 of us to get it in the house.

Don't try moving it yourself unless you know what you're doing or you have access to people who have done this kind of thing before. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for damaged shit/walls or crushed body parts. No point skinflinting on a delivery charge and you crush your hand between the safe and the wall and can't shoot a gun for a year because your trigger finger is ****ed up. Just putting it out there... moving heavy objects can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, or don't have the gear to do it right. I'd rather pay someone $XXX to move the damned thing, since chances are you will only ever have to pay that fee once, maybe twice if you move.

My personal rule is something along the lines of- " If I can't move it by myself on a hand truck, I am getting experienced help, or paying someone else to do it. "

-Mike

Don't try moving it yourself unless you know what you're doing or you have access to people who have done this kind of thing before. Otherwise you're setting yourself up for damaged shit/walls or crushed body parts. No point skinflinting on a delivery charge and you crush your hand between the safe and the wall and can't shoot a gun for a year because your trigger finger is ****ed up. Just putting it out there... moving heavy objects can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, or don't have the gear to do it right. I'd rather pay someone $XXX to move the damned thing, since chances are you will only ever have to pay that fee once, maybe twice if you move.

My personal rule is something along the lines of- " If I can't move it by myself on a hand truck, I am getting experienced help, or paying someone else to do it. "

-Mike

Well said Mike AAA+

Thanks for the advise. I will have to take a video of how easy it is to get into my apt and show it to the guy at eastern. I think he said $200 to deliver and another $200 to bring it in.

I'm pretty confident that I could bring it in with a good dolly and some friends. It's just the getting the safe off the truck that's worrying me.

Maybe they will give me a deal when they see how easy it is to bring inside.

But like you said, better to pay professionals than pay the hospital when I mess myself up!

To be truthful, I thought they were made in China, I took my sister in law there before Christmans and she looked at the safes your inquiering about. If memoy serves they are made in China.

I really don't see you moving it yourself unless you have someway to roll it. I had 4 of us, I bought a 1,000lb Champion Legacy safe from Eastern and picked it up at the store with my 1ton dually. My son and I eased it off the truck, after that, my wheel dollie wasn't not very happy, grabbed a few more friends and just plain got lucky after that. My safe is on the ground floor also, but it honestly took 4 of us to get it in the house.
Exactly how I did mine. It was in the box laying down in the pickup, slid it down the tailgate used a heavy duty dolly and 4 friends to get it in the house down 3 stairs. No damage at all just be careful and go slow.

I did mine with the help of my girlfriend last weekend, I can recall exactly the weight but right around 650 and similar dimensions. I slid it out of my suburban until it started to tilt and eased it down onto a half deflated basketball.

Got it upright and the girlfriend just kept putting 1/2" by 18" dowels down in front of me...right into the basement we went. I had a single 6 inch step to deal with going from the garage up to the basement floor but beyond that it was simple, we were done in about 1/2 hr.

I then immediately bolted it down, realizing how easily it could be taken right out the way it came in...

I moved my 900# safe using an appliance dolly/ hand truck. To get it into the basement we used heavy rigging line and connected the dolly to my car's trailer hitch and just lowered it down the stairs slowly. Once it was down 4 of us got it to a balance point then carefully rolled it into place.

At no point was anyone between the safe and wherever it would go if dropped. The process was slow and tedious, but it was safe for all involved and free.

I used pros to get my larger safe into the house.

I'd also use pros if I needed to move a safe up more than a couple of steps.

One source I'd have had if I wanted to was my local plumbing supply house. I've become friendly with them because I purchased about $20K worth of supplies for my homes renovation, which included everything for 7 zones of hydronic radiant heat. They have a very cool stair climbing hand truck that they use for getting boilers out of basements.

If all that stands between you and a do it yourself installation of a 700# safe, I'd bet for $100 the local plumbing house would be happy to come and help.

Don

To be truthful, I thought they were made in China, I took my sister in law there before Christmans and she looked at the safes your inquiering about. If memoy serves they are made in China.

What makes you say that?

That was one of my concerns, I told him I wanted USA made, and he said it was.

I am a pretty big guy, but I paid Eastern to deliver and put my 900 lb. safe where I wanted it. After watching them do this, I consider the money VERY well spent.

It really wasn't too bad for my safe about the same size. Once flat on the ground, it did take all 4 of us to rock it up on the appliance truck. But once balanced, it was slow but not very difficult going.
For my larger (actually smaller, but much heavier) safe, I had the pros do it. The thing doesn't weigh much less than my wife's Miata, so it was not worth fooling around.

What makes you say that?

That was one of my concerns, I told him I wanted USA made, and he said it was.[/

I think Roger is a square, shooter, maybe I did not read the whole post correctly but I don't belive roger would lie., my aplogies.

Eastern Security is an excellent company to deal with - great products and service. I bought a Browning safe from them last year. It weighs 1500 pounds - had it delivered and setup in my house. It took four large men to get it into place. They are professional and know exactly what they are doing - money well spent. It is a beautiful piece in my "man-cave". Hint: Pick the size you want and get it a little bigger!

Hint: Pick the size you want and get it a little bigger!

Yes, just make sure you can get it through the most accessible door in the house to where the safe is going to be. Measure the maximum width/height of the doors you'll potentially be taking it through.

-Mike

Actually Eastern Security will send a guy out to make sure the safe you bought will actually fit into your house prior to the moving crew. I'm not sure if you have to ask and request this, but a friend of mine had them do this. His desire was to buy the largest safe that they could fit through his Bilco door.

Another thing Eastern Security will do if you ask, and at no extra charge, is put two safes on the truck. Pay for the smaller one, and they will measure when they arrive. If they can fit the big one in your place, you give them a check for the difference - if not, the smaller one goes in.

I have one of the ESS branded safes.

It came with an instruction sheet that said "Brahma" on it. Mine was the B50 (ESS calls the ESS-50).

Definately made in China (it is labeled as such on the bottom of the side of the door).

Seems ok. Big, tall, roomy, lots of shelves, cut outs for two lags to bolt to the floor, opening to be drilled for a pass through for a wire for a dehumidifyer in the back. Seems to have a relocking mechanism inside, as well as a steel plate over the area where the lock is. Obviously not the same quality as the high cost American made safes, but this one was more than half the price of the big name brands.

The lock that came with mine was a mechanical dial. Works ok, but doesn't feel super high quality, it's probably the cheapest one they have available, but I'm sure you could have a better one put on at an extra cost. They said I could have an electronic one for $75 more. But they did say the electronic ones will fail someday, where the mechanical dials almost never fail.

ESS doesn't have these listed on their web site, but I saw one at a show and ended up getting a deal for less expensive delivery for one of the safes that was at the show. Since I lived not far from the show, and they were going to have to move it anyway after the show was over. I'm sure someone could have worked out a better deal. I had been putting off getting a safe for a while and decided it was time, so I went with it.

Here is a link of the same safe from a different company, but mine has a ESS logo on the door instead of the Brahma name and logo. http://www.thompsonsafes.com/brahma_safes.htm

It appears to be the same safe, right down to the labels on the door.

B-50%20CLOSED.gif

B-50%20OPEN.gif

Of course they have different sizes available.

Mine had a minor problem that I noticed after it was delivered. No problem, ESS came out and fixed it with no problem.

Back
Top Bottom