• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

East Hartford Police say that Glock 17s can’t shoot straight!

maybe they got a batch with the 50lb new york trigger
MdDUrDM.gif

This is s joke.

The whole world is full of Glocks.

And, then this PD says their sights are not on right?

For God sake get metal sights and take care of this!

i have a hard time believing this about glock. i had a cracked slide on a gen 2 beat up pos that they replaced for 100 bucks. figures it was a fo tay. if they have that kind of customer service for me think extrapolate that to a big customer.

This is great! I do t necessarily NEED another police trade in glock, but for 300-350 bucks, I’ll take another lightly used glock to add to the collection.

Time for department acquisitions to get back pocket lined, i mean find a new pistol. Heck EHPD has had these for 3 yrs they are junk now.

With out knowing how far left the shot groups are or the distance, whats the max for qual 15-20 yards.
When i see the LEO "training" at the club its all 2-10 yards.
They use those "FBI" torso targets with the milk jug kill zone out line ?
Thats what 6-8" each side of center?
cant the armorer put in for new slides and barrels during routine maintenance?
Why cry to the puplic anyway? The gun owners in CT have to be giggling and giving the solo finger salute and the Anti's probably dont want cops anyway , they want peace officers.
I wish they gave details.
which sight is hanging off to the side
which side
how many inches off?

At 20 yards .100" sight drift will move your shot group 8" or so depending on sight radius( (i used 8 inches). I would think if the offending guns where that bad you could see the defect in the slide or a bent barrel?
I dont own glocks, had a 19 years ago my dad took in trade for some work. Just did not like the in hand feel? That has not changed. Although if one crosses my path cheap enough that might change.
being in mass thats not likely going to happen

Last edited:
“Let’s avoid a needless tragedy and get this problem fixed NOW.”

If their sights are off, why don't they get a sight pusher and fix the sights?

I never heard of this.

This department must be full of idiots.

Who is their department armorer?

The Armor's job is reserved for a real gun guy.

Most Police Departments are lacking that guy.

My local PD used to be LTC friendly fast and efficient, the new guy seems anti gun full of shit and slow to respond.

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry... If only I had a dollar for every time I heard that someone's Glock shoots low and left...

Police firearm training is absolutely laughable, at best, and most cops can't shoot (big props to those few who take their job seriously enough to train outside of dept minimum reqs). Hell, even my Fed friend couldn't hit a damn thing with his Glock.

East Hartford cops could improve their training regiment and teach their officers to shoot straight, but where's the fun in that? It's much more satisfying to raise a stink, blame everyone but themselves, and then ask the taxpayer to buy them cool new guns to see if they can shoot those a little better.

Maybe all the bad press will get Glock to improve its triggers- which IMO are some of the worst on the market. To each his own- I guess some folks like the feeling of squishing a marshmallow followed by:

fCG_j7.gif

Seriously, Glock triggers suck though that's not unique for striker fired pistols. With a little work they are tolerable. That said, I have several Glocks and can get very good accuracy from them. If my shots are not centered, it's because I'm pushing or pulling them.

It's weird that they report a Glock rep came out to confirm the findings and agreed. Is that Glock just trying to play nice because they don't want to mess around with LEO contracts? They should have brought one of these, shot a centered group, and then said GTFO with those claims. I'd believe one could have been bad, but the whole lot of them seems unlikely. Especially because they were saying they had to move the rear sight all the way over to the point it was hanging off the slide to get reasonable accuracy. I can't think of anything that would make a pistol that inaccurate outside of having the bore milled so crooked that you can visibly see it at the muzzle. Is there anything else mechanically that would make a pistol shoot so far over that you had to do this with the sights?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XUCi6rUY8Q

It's weird that they report a Glock rep came out to confirm the findings and agreed. Is that Glock just trying to play nice because they don't want to mess around with LEO contracts? They should have brought one of these, shot a centered group, and then said GTFO with those claims. I'd believe one could have been bad, but the whole lot of them seems unlikely. Especially because they were saying they had to move the rear sight all the way over to the point it was hanging off the slide to get reasonable accuracy. I can't think of anything that would make a pistol that inaccurate outside of having the bore milled so crooked that you can visibly see it at the muzzle. Is there anything else mechanically that would make a pistol shoot so far over that you had to do this with the sights?

Agreed. Maybe 1 or 2.... but to run out and bitch publicly that MULTIPLE guns are so inaccurate at PD distances.... which are a joke as far as developing accuracy, is a REAL bad look.

I wish an East Hartford guy was on here so I could go see in the name of science

Ok... I just read the union blog post about the issue and looked at pictures of their 'evidence ' its still laughable. The grouping they posted was literally 3/4" left shot at 7 yards. Buy Dawson's. Zero them at 25 yards (if your shooters are so good) and move on.

That is the dumbest thing I've ever read except for the sugar free gummy bear reviews. f***ing cops can't shoot. I have like 4 or 5 g17's of various generations, they all have thousands of rounds through them, probably way more than any cop's pistol, they all shoot great, and I use them as literal beater/loaner pistols to let family and friends blast away with at the range, I think only one of them has ever been truly cleaned because I had to change a spring, otherwise all they get is a literal hose down with ballistol or rem oil, one of them even got dropped in a mud hole while I was dirt biking and literally got nothing but the garden hose and some ballistol.

Last edited:
Maybe all the bad press will get Glock to improve its triggers- which IMO are some of the worst on the market. To each his own- I guess some folks like the feeling of squishing a marshmallow followed by:

fCG_j7.gif

Seriously, Glock triggers suck though that's not unique for striker fired pistols. With a little work they are tolerable. That said, I have several Glocks and can get very good accuracy from them. If my shots are not centered, it's because I'm pushing or pulling them.
Seriously! They'd be better up putting Canik triggers in their guns and lower the price. The Turks could teach those guys a lesson when it comes to triggers. A new 17 is what? $520-$550? I think I paid $330 for my tp9 and didn't have to switch out the trigger and the sights like I had to on my G17 to take it to a non-disgrace level.

Don't most departments have an armorer?

This, gee adjust the rear sight. Quotes for those who did not read the article, which looks like most of you.

“My members have guns with sights cocked to the side and are being told to aim to the right of what they want to hit,” Officer Frank Iacono wrote in a recent blog post. “This is completely unsafe and unacceptable and should’ve never been allowed to happen.”

A Glock representative came to the department, verified the problem and pistols were sent back to the company to replace the sights, Otis wrote.

Seriously! They'd be better up putting Canik triggers in their guns and lower the price. The Turks could teach those guys a lesson when it comes to triggers. A new 17 is what? $520-$550? I think I paid $330 for my tp9 and didn't have to switch out the trigger and the sights like I had to on my G17 to take it to a non-disgrace level.

If Canik makes a 10mm, I will sell my G20 and buy it! I'm tempted to buy a Canik 9mm though I have no need for it LOL.

Ambulance-chasing product liability lawyers ought to be jumping on this.

FOIA the set of serial numbers from the police department.
Then if anyone anywhere is injured by a gun from a vaguely similar lot,
they can cry manufacturing defect made the bullet go wild.

You know that's how they work.

This, gee adjust the rear sight. Quotes for those who did not read the article, which looks like most of you.

“My members have guns with sights cocked to the side and are being told to aim to the right of what they want to hit,” Officer Frank Iacono wrote in a recent blog post. “This is completely unsafe and unacceptable and should’ve never been allowed to happen.”

A Glock representative came to the department, verified the problem and pistols were sent back to the company to replace the sights, Otis wrote.

Lol.... there is absolutely no way you have to move sights to one side and still have to aim right with a gun.... let alone 'several of them

These guys need to get roasted

It's a little known fact that pistols that fire left or right, high or low are designed to do exactly that. If your pistol shoots left when held in the conventional manner it is to compensate for a left to right cross wind or a target traversing right to left. For a right to left cross wind or left to right moving target it should be held inverted. With no wind this same pistol should be rotated 90°cw for distant targets and 90°ccw for close in as this adjusts the impact relative to bullet drop.
This, again, is a little know fact since I only just made it up. You're welcome.

I would say it’s the shooters not the guns...

I currently have a 20, 26 and 34... and owned a 19 in the past and they all shoot better then I could take advantage of.
I agree. One of the guns that Jill and I keep at her parent's Louisiana home is a Glock 26 Gen4. I fired it at a terrorist/hostage target at 10 yards, right out of the box, with TulaAmmo steel-cased 115 grain loads. My first three rounds struck the "bad guy" square in the head! Jill did the same. Glock is plenty accurate, even with low-quality ammo. The cops are just looking for a scapegoat for their own failures.

It's a little known fact that pistols that fire left or right, high or low are designed to do exactly that. If your pistol shoots left when held in the conventional manner it is to compensate for a left to right cross wind or a target traversing right to left. For a right to left cross wind or left to right moving target it should be held inverted. With no wind this same pistol should be rotated 90°cw for distant targets and 90°ccw for close in as this adjusts the impact relative to bullet drop.
This, again, is a little know fact since I only just made it up. You're welcome.
You need to account for the glint doppler effect as well.

image.png

Personally I never cared for Glocks .
But one day at the range there was a guy shooting one, no idea of model, he wasn't even hitting the target board never mind the target.
He was sputtering about what a POS the gun was and my son says "Mind if i try it ?"
Bang, bullseye, Bang bullseye , Bang,bullseye.
The kid hands it back to the guy and says "Seems fine to me."
The guy was so pissed he packed up and split.
It was all I could do not to split a gut laughing.

You would think that if a PD brought in a bunch of new guns that they would examine them closely, take them to the range and shoot them from a rest to check the point of impact and adjust the sights as necessary. Just like you and I would. Probably no NES members at that PD. Jack.

If the gun shoots left, does it mean it will shoot low for a right handed shooter using Birdman sights?

ps: Wrote this before expanding the spoiler in post #56.

Michael Crichton (sp?) was an amazing author that filled a ton of facts and reality into his books. Usually science, but a lot of good stuff mixed in with fantasy.

One of his books was Airframe - about an airline crash. It was a newish jet and the pilot's son was on board and a Jr pilot so the pilot lets Jr. ride the stick for a while and Jr. crashes the plane. It's all then shrouded in this Japanese secrecy, IIRC. (I forget if just the pilot was Japanese or the airline was as well.)

AAAAaaaanyhow, the point was during a crash, the manufacturer ALWAYS takes blame. They work HARD to take blame. Because then they make the airline look better and have a better chance at selling said airline more planes in the future. If they told the truth, the airline, and then the airplane manufacturer, would take a beating.

I suspect anything Glock did is similar and we'll never know.

Back
Top Bottom