East Asia allies doubt U.S. could win war with China

I have no doubt that the United States could win against China, provided it used its strategic arsenal of nuclear weapons, but in a conventional war with troops on the ground, no way, we simply don't have the numbers and technology is a combat multiplier only to a certain extent.

Arguably, it is our strategic weapons that are the trump card that we hold in the world today. I am inclined to believe that the 21st Century is the Chinese century and personally I don't see the world's oldest continuing civilization embracing democracy anymore than it has embraced Marxism.

Interesting article.

Mark

mark056 said:
I have no doubt that the United States could win against China, provided it used its strategic arsenal of nuclear weapons, but in a conventional war with troops on the ground, no way, we simply don't have the numbers and technology is a combat multiplier only to a certain extent.

I also believe that there's NO way we can prevail against them in a conventional war. But, that being said, we have an unusual friend (Russia, and former USSR countries), that would almost certainly come to our aid, and together, it's not certain we would lose. China and Russia are traditional enemies, and have been for a long time.

It's all irrelevant, IMNSHO, since China has a vested interest in the US being stable. If we went belly up, their economy would collapse, and they know it. Invade/attack us, and their economy would collapse, and they know that as well.

Some folks just don't get it. Did anyone actually read the article? Then, ask yourselves why the article was even written? The implications are far beyond simply Chinesse v. American military capabilities. Which, mind you, would never happen as a contained conflict - conventional, or otherwise. Do you even wonder why such Asian nations conducted such an assesment?

Ever wonder why the citizens of so many other nations resent the U.S.? Which nations are they and what is it that they resent?

Has anyone looked at a world map lately?

Why is it so difficult for so many of our citizens to associate different pieces and realize they are part of the same puzzle (including so many of our intel ex-spurts)? People will not look past the end of their noses because they don't like what they see. It's time for folks to get their collective heads out of the sand (or where ever else their heads are stuck) and comprehend reality.

Why are people questioning, and critisizing, the strategy of our current war when they haven't a clue what that strategy even is? I'll guarantee you it's more than just fighting terrorism and freeing a nation. Those just happen to be a 'perk'. Now, you may not be happy with the need for what we are currently engaged in but you can bet your bellybutton ring it is still a need!

If we bring the troops home, solely worry about ourselves and everyone will leave us alone, right? HELLO, McFly? Anyone in their? Our nation has been being attacked by terrorists (backed by many of these nations) for over two and half decades with little to no response! These nations have seen the erosions of the very rights that have kept our nation free of invasion by a foriegn military since the end of the War of 1812. They've watched as our citizens have grown soft and apathetic to the security of our nation and its interests. They are carefully watching right now to see just how much 'stomach' we have to fulfill our mission and just how much we will allow a petty thing like national security interupt our kids soccer season.

America has become a soft target and the world knows it! It is ripe and it's ready to be picked. I truly fear for the continued sovereignty of our nation due to the increasing ignorance of its population.

Read my sig line. Chesty was not a bullshitter. He was a visionary that realized long ago the path our nation was / is on.

senorFrog said:
Man, all this saber rattling...anyone's who's been to China has seen real incompetence.

And, anyone's who's been to the USA has seen real incompetence as well.

Add cowardice, and apathy and then you understand what Tony says.

Nickle said:
senorFrog said:
Man, all this saber rattling...anyone's who's been to China has seen real incompetence.

And, anyone's who's been to the USA has seen real incompetence as well.

Add cowardice, and apathy and then you understand what Tony says.

And, a near bottomless atrition can overcome a great deal of incompetence. (those are my words, please give due credit when repeating or using as a sig line)

There are 2 reasons China would likely not bother us.

1. Loss of their livlihood.

2. The fact the Russians/Former Soviets maight ally with us.

If you're talking about the Russians bothering us, they'd likely fear the Chinese aiding us. Russia vs China, both fear the US joining one or the other.

Amazing, isn't it?

Nickle said:
There are 2 reasons China would likely not bother us.

1. Loss of their livlihood.

2. The fact the Russians/Former Soviets maight ally with us.

If you're talking about the Russians bothering us, they'd likely fear the Chinese aiding us. Russia vs China, both fear the US joining one or the other.

Amazing, isn't it?

2 reasons (not limited) why China would go to war with the U.S.

1. The real prospect of increasing their livlihood and position of world dominance upon the defeat of the U.S.

2. The fact that Russia often plays the end against the middle and would ally with whomever was likely to be the victor.

No nation has any semblence of loyalty to another nation with the exception of how that alliance may profit said nation.

People don't understand that we are in Iraq and Afghanistan to stay. Not as an occupying force, but rather a presence. Why? For the same reason we are still in Germay, Japan, and maintain enough of a relationship with S. Korea to have a presence and jumping off point in that region.

If ignornance and stupidity had not overcome the hippy-peace-love-dope crowd - and politically intentioned admin advisors - in the 60's, we would currently have a presence in Viet Nam.

I expect to receive a digital boot in the ass for this, but I'll maintain that it is our "presence" in nearly every country in the world that makes our government loathed by nearly all the world. Most of the situations which developed in the last half of the twentieth century have almost universally been "blowback" from sticking our dick into places where it didn't belong.

That may well be (and I'm not agreeing with you), but it never fails... When the poop hits the fan in the rest of the world and they need some kind of assistance, who is it they yell "Help" to? the UN? Russia? Great Britan? Nope - US, the US of A. And, if we don't react quickly enough, we're lambasted for not responding. Remember the Tsunami? [roll] And, you can thank Democratic presidents for putting us in the most places we should NEVER have been put in to.

sieveboy said:
I expect to receive a digital boot in the ass for this, but I'll maintain that it is our "presence" in nearly every country in the world that makes our government loathed by nearly all the world. Most of the situations which developed in the last half of the twentieth century have almost universally been "blowback" from sticking our dick into places where it didn't belong.

No boot in the ass but a little education / explanation. I'm not at all surprised by your comment as many folks are led into this type thinking by unscrupulous politicians who 'have the answers to all of your percieved problems, and knows what's best for you, vote for me, power-mongers'.

Our military does NOT have a presence in "nearly every country in the world". In fact, we have bases in very FEW countries. And, that is absolutely NOT the reason we are loathed. Without knowing exact numbers (Google may help) but I'd guess we have a permanent base in maybe a half dozen countries out of the hundreds of countries in the world.

None of the situations have anything to do with "sticking our dicks" anywhere. Well, except for Clinton, but that's another topic.

Please tell me specifically what situations have occurred as result of blowback from what specific offensive actions the U.S. has taken?

Another serious question to you; Do you honestly believe we are resented, loathed, hated, et al, by other countries because of specific involvement somewhere?

i think they don't like us because of our affuance,you ever see a poor man that liked rich people,and besides these people hate us because of their relegion and stupidy.

sieveboy said:

I disagree, but you're really close.

We're hated in certain countries for having propped up shit--bag dictators in the past. Why do Iranians hate us? For propping up the Pshah (sp?) for so many years. I don't blame them.

What do Ho Chi Minh, Fidel Castro and the Sandinistas have in common? They asked the US for help FIRST, to get rid of a bad situation, and we turned them down, then supported our opposition.

As to Fundamentalist Muslims hating us, it's because we:

1. Support Israel.

2. Aren't Muslims ourselves. Study their religion a little, you'll uncover somethings that will change your tune. They advocate exterminating all those that will not convert to Islam. That's GENOCIDE on a scale that would make Hitler and Stalin squeamish.

As to what Tony says, I don't know how long we'll be in Iraq and Afghanistan, but we've been in Europe for 60 years. We've been in Kuwait since 1991. I figure a significant presence for at LEAST 10 years, and a minor presence for 20+.

I can tell you from having seen the ugly face of so called "radical Islam" that Nickle is right. If you are to read the Quran you will find a passage in it that specificly teaches to convert everyone in the world to Islam and if they will not convert it is your duty to KILL them, because being killed by a true Muslim is the only way that person has a chance of making it to paradise.

When you combine that with the fact that most of the Islamic world is VERY VERY poor, you find that there is a natural dislike on a human level towards Americans.

Something else to ponder:

Since the Quran teaches pointedly to kill those who refuse to convert, in reality it is the muslims who work with us that are the "radicals" NOT the ones that attack us.......

Tank said:
Something else to ponder:

Since the Quran teaches pointedly to kill those who refuse to convert, in reality it is the muslims who work with us that are the "radicals" NOT the ones that attack us.......

Good point, Tank. Never thought of it that way.

Back
Top Bottom