• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Early Goose

No I work M-F, 50 hours a week. Millions on welfare depend on me!

I will be up bright and early Saturday though, to kick off my '14 - '15 hunting season. I really hope it won't be as hot out then as it is now though. I love Summer, but when I hunt I want it to be as chilly as possible.

No I work M-F, 50 hours a week. Millions on welfare depend on me!

I will be up bright and early Saturday though, to kick off my '14 - '15 hunting season. I really hope it won't be as hot out then as it is now though. I love Summer, but when I hunt I want it to be as chilly as possible.

Yeah I hear you. Im 7 days a week usually.

- - - Updated - - -

My father and I picked off three this morning. We had over a hundred land on the opposite side of the field we were in.

Nice job!

I did not get out. It'll be a couple more weeks before I even have my shotgun back - a guy my father works with is doing a camo cerakote for me.

What pattern are you going with?

This with some added tan/brown

8d95e969491e99f3e769a36bc51ad006.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have to make a plug for my 5 round Magazine. They won't let me hunt with my 20 round Drum on my Saiga 12.

Looking at going out this weekend.

Malodave

This with some added tan/brown

8d95e969491e99f3e769a36bc51ad006.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bet it will look great!

- - - Updated - - -

I still have to make a plug for my 5 round Magazine. They won't let me hunt with my 20 round Drum on my Saiga 12.

Looking at going out this weekend.

Malodave

Go for snow geese. No plug needed!!! Electronic calls and hunting half hour after sunset! Unless some of the regs have changed.

I use a dozen shells for early goose, they aren't as weary yet, regular season I'll double the size of my layout and add full bodies to my shells.

When i am hunting with friends we each add a dozen decoys.

Good luck to those heading out in the morning.

I went out yesterday afternoon dressed in the same stuff I had wore to the beach mid-day. [laugh]

Not a honker in sight but there were several dozen mallards, a few teal, a few great blue herons, a formation of cormorants, and the occasional crow. I really can't wait 'til duck season though, as always. I have the first day of early duck off.

I found that geese don't tend to move much during the heat. Much better early evening like the last 15 minutes of daylight than in the mornings.

Really looking forward to duck season.

I went out the other day and shot my first ever goose. Brined it and barbequed it the next night. I was shocked at how similar it is to venison - will definitely be heading out for more in the next few days.

Was really hoping to get out last Saturday, but my cousin wasn't around and he has the written permission to use that spot.
Oh well.
Hopefully this weekend.

BTW, anyone who hasn't purchased their federal waterfowl stamp yet, the thing went up to $25 this year. This "free" meat I like to tell my wife about gets more expensive every year. Between a license in Maine, one in Massachusetts, duck stamps, doe tags, fishing licenses, etc, I may not be able to afford the free food anymore.

BTW, anyone who hasn't purchased their federal waterfowl stamp yet, the thing went up to $25 this year. This "free" meat I like to tell my wife about gets more expensive every year. Between a license in Maine, one in Massachusetts, duck stamps, doe tags, fishing licenses, etc, I may not be able to afford the free food anymore.

but it's the ultimate "free range" meat. but yes with licenses in multiple states you've got do bring home a lot of meat to get ahead of the hunting [STRIKE=undefined]taxes[/STRIKE] license fees.

If we start adding in the cost of guns, I'm really screwed. I'll have to shoot all my food including vegetables for the rest of my life to break even [wink]

Getting out before sunrise in the woods or on the water while sitting waiting for the sun to come up is what makes it priceless for me.

With the amount of time I spend, the price of equipment, and the amount of meat I take home, it would cost more than USDA prime.

With the amount of time I spend, the price of equipment, and the amount of meat I take home, it would cost more than USDA prime.

Exactly. I fish the cape cod canal at times. 1.5 hours each way, 40 for gas, 10 for eels, plus whatever snacks and drink.on the road. 1 fish I bring home if I am lucky will cost over 100 bucks. Compound that with the failed attempts. Striped bass at whole foods for 19 bucks a pound doesn't sound too bad anymore.

Back
Top Bottom