• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Early Goose

I am looking forward to getting out should be fun if temps are not to hot never liked hunting when its 90 degrees out.

i have been waiting for bird season since the end of the last one im thinking of trying to get rid of some of my un used stuff and get a 10ga with the proceeds but i might just stick with the 12.

im eagerly awaiting duck season as well because me and a freind went in on a rowboat its not much but its really stable and i cant wait to get out there

I have a sxs 10 gauge a half dozen decoys a pair of waders and a $100 row boat nothing fancy but I still have a lot fun with out spending thousands. Now is the time to be out scouting I am always on the look out for new ponds and fields that will hold some birds.

Anyone pick up a 2011-2012 Federal Stamp yet? I can't seem to find a local post office with them in stock yet. Also just curious where you got the season start date? I haven't seen the new migratory bird publication on Mass Wildlife's website yet.

I walked around Bolton Flats WMA the other day, and much to my dismay, no geese jumped out in my way and presented themselves for me to take. So... I was out of ideas and went fishing instead.

Anybody wanna take a complete noob goose hunting with them??? [smile]

I walked a really nice marsh area with a friend yesterday. We saw plenty of seagulls, ducks, swans, blue herons, cormorants, but no geese. I agree that it will be more comfortable hunting when it cools down considerably. Generally I don't enjoy being in the woods/ marshes/ fields when its still warm out. Too many friggin insects and I'm out of shape due to Summer laziness so I sweat easily. I'm hoping to drop about 15 lbs by December. I love hitting the trails when the thermo drops to 50 and below.

I walked out with my EAA 12g side-by-side, but once I find the mag tube plug I had for my old 870, I'll put that in the camo'd 1187 and go with that. I have Kent 3" (1 1/8 I think) for Goose and 2 3/4 for Duck.

Last edited:
This time of year geese are picking up off the marshes about a 1/2 after sunrise and moving to fields. If you can find them and watch them, time when they move back to the marsh.

hey guys, im not too new deer hunting but i am to goose hunting. I dont know much about goose hunting.Dumb question , but what do you do with them after , i typically dont harvest any animal that i wouldnt eat or use unlike deer or turkey ducks etc, but what aside from the obvious is a good reason to hit the ponds and field , thanks again

I walked around Bolton Flats WMA the other day, and much to my dismay, no geese jumped out in my way and presented themselves for me to take. So... I was out of ideas and went fishing instead.

Anybody wanna take a complete noob goose hunting with them??? [smile]

I hunt that spot often but don't bother until they cut the corn. You might catch some geese coming in at the end of the day?

ok , cool so i just watched a great vid on breasting ... in under 3 mins :) , is that all there really is to it ? I dont want to sound ignorant , but is that all they are good for is the breast ? not a whole roaster or something ? Do they cook/taste good, i dont want to harvest anything just for shits and giggles and be wasteful . Any one have any tips on hunting them as well i guess :) i was just gonna head up to the westboro WMA and hope to see some NOT flying over water :) its tough being a novice !

It's tough hunting resident geese. You need permission to hunt a golf course or a private field, or better yet, do a "drive-by" on Rt 9 or 495, lol. Once the migratory birds start coming down, you can get them to decoy over water or bring them into a cut corn field. Resident geese are too educated for that stuff.

@KJM thanks , my plan was to go to some corn fields on a WMA cause i have neither a boat or a dog ( well my retriever is a lil too old to learn ) . So corn field was my best bet , altho its funny you mention high way cause i saw a bunch on the pike this am on my way into boston

@KJM thanks , my plan was to go to some corn fields on a WMA cause i have neither a boat or a dog ( well my retriever is a lil too old to learn ) . So corn field was my best bet , altho its funny you mention high way cause i saw a bunch on the pike this am on my way into boston
Once pheasant season is over, geese on the WMA's is pretty good. All the corn lying around and no hunters and dogs running around gives to some good hunts. Good luck

Resident geese are dumber than stumps. I have 2 bands from 2 different birds that were banded on the same day in 2009 in Mass but shot a year apart from each over, shot over the same set up, over the same body of water.

Back
Top Bottom