• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ear Safety Systems:

citoriguy

NES Member
Hi all - I'm curious if anyone here has any experience working with Ear Safety Systems and their owner, Stephen Brown.

I met Steve at Harvard Sportsmen's Club on 28 APRIL for the Introduction to IDPA (what I'm calling it) seminar put on by several HSC members. The seminar itself was fantastic. It was through that that Steve was there offering custom fit earplugs. I had a pair of these years ago and they were great, but unfortunately lost them when moving from FL to New England.

So I decided to order a pair from Steve, sat in his chair, had the solution placed in my ear, and walked around for 10-20 minutes so that materials could set. The only option I selected was a filter, and the total was $70. At the time, Steve noted that the filters were on order, but that I should have the plugs within a week or two.

So a week goes by and I send him an email on 08 MAY just asking generally when I would get the plugs. No answer. I send him another email on 11 MAY because I was shooting a match on the 19th. No answer. Frustrated, I call him directly on 17 MAY, and he acknowledged that the plugs would go out that day (Friday) or the following Monday (20 MAY). Nothing received through 27 MAY.
Still frustrated, I reach out to him via his website, and send a message to him through that platform giving him the timeline above.

On 29 MAY I receive a USPS email saying that Ear Safety Systems was sending me a package with a tracking number. The status has been the same since that date. I called USPS yesterday afternoon and they say the package still hasn't been received.

I see Steve's cards at the two clubs I'm a member of, and want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt, but I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience with Steve and/or Ear Safety Systems? Did anyone at HSC for the IDPA class that ordered earplugs that day receive theirs? Should I put something like this at the message board at both of my clubs? Should I email the members of HSC that put the program on (at least a couple of them are members of this board and hopefully will see this) solely to let them know of my experience and that they may want to reconsider inviting him in the future?

I realize it's only $70, but it's really disappointing if this guy isn't delivering on his promises, especially to this community. Any other thoughts?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance,

CG

tl;dr - ordered stuff, didn't get stuff

I had the exact same situation with him a few years back. The communication was horrible. I don’t think he does the ear thing full time but I may be wrong. The product is great just getting it not so much. Glad you posted this because I thought I was the only one who had a difficult time getting them

I personally had a good experience with Steve and have had a pair of his Custom Molded Ear Plugs for a while.

I'd call him directly or reach out to him on here. He is still a member I believe.

I had similar frustrations communicating with him. So I went a different route.

I have called him directly but that yielded nothing but another failed shipment. I don’t believe it’s his full time job either, but if you’re not going to be responsive, why bother? All you’re doing is pissing your reputation away with this approach. Hopefully he is a member here and sees this.

What other options are there locally?

EDIT - locally means MetroWest area. Concord/Acton-ish.

Last edited:
I got mine 3 years ago from Michael Maal, Hearsafe [email protected] Excellent service and product.

Are they still up and running? Their website hasn’t been updated since 2007, and their FB page isn’t active, though that may be because I don’t have a FB account.

EDIT - they are up and running. Unfortunately, a bit far for me.

Last edited:
I know Steve very well. I shoot with him all the time, I even wear the Ear Saftey Systems shirt when I shoot matches. I guarantee that if you reach out by phone or email, he will make sure you are satisfied with your purchase.

I’ve reached out by email, phone, and website to no avail. If you know him personally and he’s a member here, please have him PM me.

I think you need to use the telephone rather than complaining about him on a forum he doesn't read. I used his product for a 5 hour match today and would strongly recommend the plugs. I,ve found Steve and ear safety systems to be very accommodating.

I went to an audiologist (mine is in Hopkinton) and got custom fit for ear plugs... it cost more but I'm satisfied.

FWIW this is the best way to go, after talking to people that have bought all kinds of fitted plugs every person has told me the ones the audiologists make are the best but consequently the most expensive.....

I went to an audiologist (mine is in Hopkinton) and got custom fit for ear plugs... it cost more but I'm satisfied.

I tried this route awhile ago and everyone I talked to (local to SouthShore) didn't know what to make of my request. Not a patient, need hearing tested, we don't do that...etc.

What am I missing ?

I think you need to use the telephone rather than complaining about him on a forum he doesn't read. I used his product for a 5 hour match today and would strongly recommend the plugs. I,ve found Steve and ear safety systems to be very accommodating.
The op has tried to call him as well as email.

I tried this route awhile ago and everyone I talked to (local to SouthShore) didn't know what to make of my request. Not a patient, need hearing tested, we don't do that...etc.

What am I missing ?

I'm not sure... I emailed and called a couple of them in the area. I told them what I was looking for and it was pretty easy.

No need for a hearing test, just went in and got my impressions. She looked through the catalog for NRR of the various models (ear canal only, full shell, material, etc), we picked the specs we felt were best, then chose colors.
She sent off my impressions and called me a couple of weeks later when they were in. She test fit them to make sure they fit and off I went.
If I have any problems she said to call.

Had the same problem a couple of years ago, it was like he disappeared and more like 2 months before I got them.
If your going to take longer than the promised 1-2 weeks, just frack'n say so!

I have called him. He answered, said they were going out within a couple/few days, and nothing. It’s noted in the fourth paragraph. It’s also in post #5.

Thanks - I’ll check those out in some more detail.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust anything the USPS told me and certainly not if it had anything to do with something being shipped through them. Cavemen had a better tracking system than the USPS.

I'm not sure... I emailed and called a couple of them in the area. I told them what I was looking for and it was pretty easy.

No need for a hearing test, just went in and got my impressions. She looked through the catalog for NRR of the various models (ear canal only, full shell, material, etc), we picked the specs we felt were best, then chose colors.
She sent off my impressions and called me a couple of weeks later when they were in. She test fit them to make sure they fit and off I went.
If I have any problems she said to call.

Ok, I feel re-energized. I'll start my search back up....worst case, I might be asking you for a reference and taking a ride.

I purchased and was fitted for a set at Sig Aiming for Aero on May 19th. I got the same "shipping label created" notification on May 29th and nothing has been delivered to the USPS yet. Best case scenario is that he has everything packaged and has had trouble getting to the Post Office.

BTW - anybody who says "well you can never know with the USPS is missing the point that the USPS has never received the package.

All of you guys who are Steve's friend and shoot with him and love his product and swear by them, good for you. I've got several friends who swear by the product and Steve has been to my club(s) in Marshfield and Pembroke and he was also in Holbrook at their gun show last year. THat is why I bought a set. ($130 by the way not $70).

THe point is that he told me they'd be in the mail by the 24th (5 days) and they are still not in the mail after 14 days. THe OP has been waiting for 5 weeks. During that 5 weeks Steve has been out selling at other events (Like Aiming for Zero).

Hey Happy Feet..... did we both shoot in Hopkinton today???

Isn't one of the reasons to support Steve is that he is at our events, donating to our causes, shooting alongside us-and isn't that a reason to give him some slack on shipping his product out all at once rather than the moment a set of ear plugs is done? I have never heard anyone complain about the quality of his work. We should support our own rather than blast them if we have to wait a few weeks in this Amazon prime era.

Last edited:
Isn't one of the reasons to support Steve that he is at our events, donating to our causes, shooting alongside us-and isn't that a reason to give him some slack on shipping his product out all at once rather than the moment a set of ear plugs is done? I have never heard anyone complain about the quality of his work. We should support our own rather than blast them if we have to wait a few weeks in this Amazon prime era.

I’m not complaining about his quality - the feedback about his products are all positive from what I’ve read. I’m complaining about his delivery. Don’t promise someone a turnaround time that isn’t going to be delivered on, and further, don’t just not respond to messages inquiring about an order you placed in good faith.

Hopefully spt_1955 received good information from Steve and not just another empty promise. As noted above, I was fine with a 2 week turnaround which is what he promised at the event. I’m waiting 3 weeks after that and 5 weeks total. I supported him because he is a member of this community and, as a small-business person myself (sole-prop CPA), I was not or ever would be expecting Amazon Prime like turnaround. We’re dealing with form-molded rubber though, not splitting an atom.

Yes, I was at hopkinton, had a good time despite imploding on a stage, did the 5 hours give it away lol

Sounds like this is Steve,s (ear safety's) busy time of year so maybe cut him some slack also sounds like he responded in a positive way to your phone call

Back
Top Bottom