1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Ear Safety Systems:

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by citoriguy, Jun 1, 2019.

1. dans

dans NES Member

I see what you did there

Happy feet, AHM, drgrant and 2 others like this.

2. Idoktr

Idoktr NES Member

I have had several sets made by Steve. Everything was done in quick order. Probably his busy season...............

3. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

It really shouldn’t be too difficult to give an honest time estimate. It’s poor business to say one thing is your turnaround time and then not only not be close to that but to also not be responsive when asked.

Would he really lose business if he told people this isn’t his full time job and it’s usually around a month from order to delivery? Or that if he has a lot of orders he does bulk shipping so it may be delayed a bit?

I’ve seen this quite a bit. People with small or side businesses making false promises because they are afraid that if they are honest with how long it might take that they’ll lose business. But the bad name they get from this ends up being worse in the long run. It’s a shame.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    citoriguy, andrew1220 and drgrant like this.
  4. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

I am waiting for a customized piece of electronic gear from a similar business and the guy told me "4-6 weeks". That was in the 2nd week in March. I know because of the guys rep I'll eventually
    get the thing (other people are getting their shit from him, slowly, but surely) but the waiting is horrible. Communicate. Say something. anything. Etc. Do something.

Even if it turns out good in the end I doubt I will ever buy anything again from the guy, and it's often why I'm of the "If it's not going to ship in under a week, I don't
    want it. " mentality.

I'd much rather have a company say "It will take us 24 weeks to process your order, but you WILL get the item".

ETA: I also have enormous respect for guys that turn down work in the interest of
    keeping their existing customers happy. (When things get retarded, I end up having to do this myself, but I'd much rather turn someone down than say "yeah I can be there" when I know there's a 90% chance of that not being possible. That's a better deal than some guy promising something they can't deliver.

-Mike

andrew1220 and citoriguy like this.
  5. grizquad

grizquad NES Member

Had a set of plugs made by Steve few years ago with bluetooth and it took several weeks to get them. I wanted another pair and called, emailed and left messages with NO answer back. Had someone else make them, threw Steve's card away.

6. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

Do you recall who made them, as well as cost and turnaround time?

The USPS site is still saying the package hasn't been picked up. Hopefully he's at least FIFO-ing these.

7. MC56

MC56 NES Member

^ This.

While I can't speak for Steve in response to several of the complaints here, I can say he's a stand up guy who does A LOT to support the shooting sports. Also, just an FYI, he works on boats and this time of year he is extremely busy. Calling him is prob your best bet at reaching him, and it sounds like he answered your concerns the one time you did call him. Try calling him again if you're not satisfied? I think this thread is pretty harsh.

8. thimblerigger

thimblerigger

The place near the thing we went that time
    Which stage did you implode on?

9. grizquad

grizquad NES Member

Mike Maal of H-EarSafe in Pelham made my second set at the Main State Shoot. He used the speakers and control from my original set, as the ear plug was cracking. He made the molds at the shoot and I had them all done a few days later in the mail. I can't remember the cost but I think they were under 100.

citoriguy likes this.
  10. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

He didn’t address my concerns - he gave me more lip service.

The intent of this thread isn’t to be harsh. I think most people on here would be a bit miffed if they ordered something that didn’t arrive more than 3 weeks after said item was promised, and were unable to contact the vendor. I was wondering if my experience was unique, and based on the responses thus far, it isn’t.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    drgrant, andrew1220 and fencer like this.
  11. fencer

fencer NES Member

I think the OP has been very reasonable and has gone waaay out of his way to NOT trash the guy.

andrew1220 and citoriguy like this.
  12. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

Seems like it was received by USPS today. I’ll confirm receipt and that they work in this thread. Thank you all for your feedback.

AHM and andrew1220 like this.
  13. Happy feet

Happy feet NES Member

This

wmccurdy53 likes this.
  14. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

I received them and mowed the lawn with them. I can’t tell much of a difference, appearance-wise at least, from when I was in his chair. The mower was largely blocked out, but I was under the impression the filter I selected would block out the overarching sound while still being able to pick up voices better, and that doesn’t appear to be the case.

I’m still confused why it took 5 weeks, but have an appointment with an audiologist in a few weeks, which I made yesterday before the shipping status changed.

Again - I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

drgrant and fencer like this.
  15. spt_1955

spt_1955 NES Member

With all due respect. I've cut him plenty of slack. I am still waiting .... both for my ears .... and for a promised return call. This is the 3rd time he has not called me back with a status as promised. It is a problem and at least 3 people I am aware of still have not received their AFZ purchases. One of the people on my AFZ squad got their ears because they were sent to me by mistake and I remembered that the person ordered left ear blue/right ear red so I delivered them this weekend myself. Nobody know what ears got delivered to him as they were not mine.

P.S. I was promised a call last Thursday/Friday to set up a new fitting since my ears are lost. It never happened. I continue to cut him slack as I did not bother him this weekend because I knew he was at MA State IDPA.

16. citoriguy

citoriguy NES Member

That sucks - I know I will not be doing any business again with him. We all have obligations, and life happens, but it’s just disrespectful to pull this crap.

Good luck.