Ear Safety Systems:

It really shouldn’t be too difficult to give an honest time estimate. It’s poor business to say one thing is your turnaround time and then not only not be close to that but to also not be responsive when asked.

Would he really lose business if he told people this isn’t his full time job and it’s usually around a month from order to delivery? Or that if he has a lot of orders he does bulk shipping so it may be delayed a bit?

I’ve seen this quite a bit. People with small or side businesses making false promises because they are afraid that if they are honest with how long it might take that they’ll lose business. But the bad name they get from this ends up being worse in the long run. It’s a shame.

Last edited:
It really shouldn’t be too difficult to give an honest time estimate. It’s poor business to say one thing is your turnaround time and then not only not be close to that but to also not be responsive when asked.

Would he really lose business if he told people this isn’t his full time job and it’s usually around a month from order to delivery? Or that if he has a lot of orders he does bulk shipping do it may be delayed a bit?

I’ve seen this quite a bit. People with small or side businesses making false promises because they are afraid that if they are honest with how long it might take that they’ll lose business. But the bad name they get from this ends up being worse in the long run. It’s a shame.

I am waiting for a customized piece of electronic gear from a similar business and the guy told me "4-6 weeks". That was in the 2nd week in March. I know because of the guys rep I'll eventually
get the thing (other people are getting their shit from him, slowly, but surely) but the waiting is horrible. Communicate. Say something. anything. Etc. Do something.

Even if it turns out good in the end I doubt I will ever buy anything again from the guy, and it's often why I'm of the "If it's not going to ship in under a week, I don't
want it. " mentality.

I'd much rather have a company say "It will take us 24 weeks to process your order, but you WILL get the item".

ETA: I also have enormous respect for guys that turn down work in the interest of
keeping their existing customers happy. (When things get retarded, I end up having to do this myself, but I'd much rather turn someone down than say "yeah I can be there" when I know there's a 90% chance of that not being possible. That's a better deal than some guy promising something they can't deliver.

-Mike

Last edited:
Had a set of plugs made by Steve few years ago with bluetooth and it took several weeks to get them. I wanted another pair and called, emailed and left messages with NO answer back. Had someone else make them, threw Steve's card away.

Had a set of plugs made by Steve few years ago with bluetooth and it took several weeks to get them. I wanted another pair and called, emailed and left messages with NO answer back. Had someone else make them, threw Steve's card away.

Do you recall who made them, as well as cost and turnaround time?

The USPS site is still saying the package hasn't been picked up. Hopefully he's at least FIFO-ing these.

Isn't one of the reasons to support Steve is that he is at our events, donating to our causes, shooting alongside us-and isn't that a reason to give him some slack on shipping his product out all at once rather than the moment a set of ear plugs is done? I have never heard anyone complain about the quality of his work. We should support our own rather than blast them if we have to wait a few weeks in this Amazon prime era.

^ This.

While I can't speak for Steve in response to several of the complaints here, I can say he's a stand up guy who does A LOT to support the shooting sports. Also, just an FYI, he works on boats and this time of year he is extremely busy. Calling him is prob your best bet at reaching him, and it sounds like he answered your concerns the one time you did call him. Try calling him again if you're not satisfied? I think this thread is pretty harsh.

Do you recall who made them, as well as cost and turnaround time?

The USPS site is still saying the package hasn't been picked up. Hopefully he's at least FIFO-ing these.
Mike Maal of H-EarSafe in Pelham made my second set at the Main State Shoot. He used the speakers and control from my original set, as the ear plug was cracking. He made the molds at the shoot and I had them all done a few days later in the mail. I can't remember the cost but I think they were under 100.

^ This.

While I can't speak for Steve in response to several of the complaints here, I can say he's a stand up guy who does A LOT to support the shooting sports. Also, just an FYI, he works on boats and this time of year he is extremely busy. Calling him is prob your best bet at reaching him, and it sounds like he answered your concerns the one time you did call him. Try calling him again if you're not satisfied? I think this thread is pretty harsh.

He didn’t address my concerns - he gave me more lip service.

The intent of this thread isn’t to be harsh. I think most people on here would be a bit miffed if they ordered something that didn’t arrive more than 3 weeks after said item was promised, and were unable to contact the vendor. I was wondering if my experience was unique, and based on the responses thus far, it isn’t.

Last edited:
Seems like it was received by USPS today. I’ll confirm receipt and that they work in this thread. Thank you all for your feedback.

Last edited:
Isn't one of the reasons to support Steve is that he is at our events, donating to our causes, shooting alongside us-and isn't that a reason to give him some slack on shipping his product out all at once rather than the moment a set of ear plugs is done? I have never heard anyone complain about the quality of his work. We should support our own rather than blast them if we have to wait a few weeks in this Amazon prime era.

This

I received them and mowed the lawn with them. I can’t tell much of a difference, appearance-wise at least, from when I was in his chair. The mower was largely blocked out, but I was under the impression the filter I selected would block out the overarching sound while still being able to pick up voices better, and that doesn’t appear to be the case.

I’m still confused why it took 5 weeks, but have an appointment with an audiologist in a few weeks, which I made yesterday before the shipping status changed.

Again - I appreciate everyone’s feedback.

With all due respect. I've cut him plenty of slack. I am still waiting .... both for my ears .... and for a promised return call. This is the 3rd time he has not called me back with a status as promised. It is a problem and at least 3 people I am aware of still have not received their AFZ purchases. One of the people on my AFZ squad got their ears because they were sent to me by mistake and I remembered that the person ordered left ear blue/right ear red so I delivered them this weekend myself. Nobody know what ears got delivered to him as they were not mine.

P.S. I was promised a call last Thursday/Friday to set up a new fitting since my ears are lost. It never happened. I continue to cut him slack as I did not bother him this weekend because I knew he was at MA State IDPA.

That sucks - I know I will not be doing any business again with him. We all have obligations, and life happens, but it’s just disrespectful to pull this crap.

Good luck.

So I have an update to this. I was at the West Lebanon show on Feb 20th of 2020. Talked to Stephen for awhile and got plugs made. I ordered the electronics and told me they would be in within a week or so. I told him I wanted them for the Florida Grand in March. He said they would be in WAY before that. I emailed him the Friday before I was leaving. He contacted me back saying they are not in yet and I can send them to you in FL using Priority Mail. Since then he has gone dark. ZERO communication after numerous emails asking for an update. NOTHING. As of now I am out $340 and have nothing to show for it.

. . . Since then he has gone dark. ZERO communication after numerous emails asking for an update. NOTHING.
That parallels my experience with him. It isn't just poor communication, it's ZERO communication. That said, he does eventually provide product, but don't count on having it until it's in your hands.

That parallels my experience with him. It isn't just poor communication, it's ZERO communication. That said, he does eventually provide product, but don't count on having it until it's in your hands.
My plugs and electronics did come in FINALLY! I just don't understand why he couldn't just send an email.....

I have a set made for me last year. I had no problems with the process. Stephen molded them at the MA States and I had them in the mail a few weeks later. It really is a shame he can't seem to handle the logistics side of the business. He makes a good product and I like the idea of supporting the local guy but I completely understand everyone's frustrations with him.

Edit to add ...

I didnt use them yet. I will update my review when they arrive.

That being said, while he was making the mold, I could barely hear him talking and the gun shots (maybe 20' away) were not loud at all.

-----------------

Original post:

Bumping this thread...

I had some made last weekend at Area 7. They were shipped today.

The process was super fast and easy.
Great guy.
Local to MA.

A bunch of shooters had his hearing protection and they all told me they were very happy.

I think the price is good. I was looking for a while for custom molded ear plugs and everything I found seemed to be done by doctors and was pretty expensive, required appointments, nothing was close to where I live, it was a major pain. The process for ESS was super easy and fast, took 10 minutes.

I paid $75 ... but I didn't get anything fancy, since I prefer it that way.

After I get them I will probably get two more pairs to keep for the future.

Last edited:
Edit to add ...

I didnt use them yet. I will update my review when they arrive.

That being said, while he was making the mold, I could barely hear him talking and the gun shots (maybe 20' away) were not loud at all.

-----------------

Original post:

Bumping this thread...

I had some made last weekend at Area 7. They were shipped today.

The process was super fast and easy.
Great guy.
Local to MA.

A bunch of shooters had his hearing protection and they all told me they were very happy.

I think the price is good. I was looking for a while for custom molded ear plugs and everything I found seemed to be done by doctors and was pretty expensive, required appointments, nothing was close to where I live, it was a major pain. The process for ESS was super easy and fast, took 10 minutes.

I paid $75 ... but I didn't get anything fancy, since I prefer it that way.

After I get them I will probably get two more pairs to keep for the future.
I thought I read somewhere that the shape of your ear changes and grows as you age, meaning you should get new ones every 5-10 years?

That having been said, I got mine years ago and they still fit great

... the shape of your ear changes and grows as you age, meaning you should get new ones every 5-10 years?
You just gotta trim the hair back.
Ewww!
There's probably some guy in Brazil hard at work as we speak on an invention that can help with that.

It's totally in their wheelhouse.
maxresdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom