Ear Protections for kids Recommendations please!

SDG

Hi NES,

I have a couple up and coming shooters. 8yo and 10 yo. Looking for any recommendations you all might have for ear protection. The cheaper walkers ones look like they don't offer much protection and the adult sized ones have my kids complaining after about 20 mins about headaches. My kids are on the smaller size so they have a while before they would fit into grown up ones. Any good ideas or experiences there out there?

Last edited:
Try the 3M H10A Peltor Optime 105, they’re big and puffy but my son loves them and only picks a different pair when he can take my walker active ones, can always do in ear plus muffs if you want extra protection

[thumbsup]

I would have a set of smaller Peltors. Alone or coupled with ear plugs they worked great.

'Peltor Kids' or 'Peltor Jr's.'

Click here and scroll down to the Kids section. Good luck. Matt

Last edited:
Hi NES,

I have a couple up and coming shooters. 8yo and 10 yo. Looking for any recommendations you all might have for ear protection. The cheaper walkers ones look like they don't offer much protections and the adult sized ones have my kids complaining after about 20 mins about headaches. My kids are on the smaller size so they have a while before they would fit into grown up ones. Any good ideas or experiences there out there?
Foam plugs and zohan 054 - it is important for kids to hear what you say

Got a couple of pairs of the yellow muffs from Hazard Fraught. Brought them to an air show. My nieces, 4 and 2, fell asleep for their afternoon nap right before an F-16 took off. Quickly plopped the muffs over their ears AND THEY DIDN'T WAKE UP.

I was astonished, they slept while an F-16 screamed overhead.

A dad from another family looked at us and said, "you guys are pros."

if they don’t like foam earplugs these reusable work for my kids - NRR is not as good as foam but better than none since they’ll wear them:
Amazon product ASIN B01LDSPSPOView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LDSPSPO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3KDFZ7A0V6SPHEGV5BVC

Also, try different types of safety glasses- if the glasses temple tips aren’t fitting just right/too thick they will get squished against the head/ears by the earmuffs and kids won’t last long (headache, pressure, discomfort). I had to mix/match glasses and earmuffs a few times until I found combos that worked well for each.

I know you mentioned not particularly liking the kids Walkers, but supplementing the cans with plugs be worth looking into. One of my daughters (9yo) is sensitive to noise. We've paired the Walker Game Ear Youth with SureFire EP4s (small) with good success.

@nm1 mentioned safety glasses fitment and I experienced similar with my girls.

if they don’t like foam earplugs these reusable work for my kids - NRR is not as good as foam but better than none since they’ll wear them:
Amazon product ASIN B01LDSPSPOView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LDSPSPO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3KDFZ7A0V6SPHEGV5BVC

Also, try different types of safety glasses- if the glasses temple tips aren’t fitting just right/too thick they will get squished against the head/ears by the earmuffs and kids won’t last long (headache, pressure, discomfort). I had to mix/match glasses and earmuffs a few times until I found combos that worked well for each.

awesome, yeah right now they do complain about headaches. I’ll look into different safety glass too.

My son wore the Pro Ears ReVO up until just this year.

I think electronic are good for kids so that they can clearly hear commands.

If you want maximum protection these are NRR30, you can also add foam plugs under.

They can be tricky when rifle shooting because of their thickness.

I used these with my kids

so, what i spoke of before - i am really against the passive muffs for kids, as you need to be able to speak to them and they need to be able to listen.
as of most models in $60 - zohan is $28, walker`s razor is $43 - they are all comparable and do pretty much the same mediocre job. a real jump in quality there is after $200, in my opinion.
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DN6WZG9
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AAH8CMA

but, when combined with foam plugs - it is perfect, and razors speakers are a bit louder. for a girl i would get pink zohans and called it a day.
plugs/glasses best deal - $5. works fine. glasses are same mold they have in $20+ kits - get 2-3 kits and discard if scratched.
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IJZ8ZKO

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input guys. I double up on foam and electronic for myself all the time. Can't say why I never thought of it for my kids. I think that's the route I'm going to go. maybe I'll pickup a pair of NRR30s as a backup....Unless I move to a free state, then Ima do like @edmorseiii and get a couple of cans.

Pro For Sho 34dB Amazon product ASIN B01FL5BQGAView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FL5BQGA/

These are quite effective, and sized a little smaller than most earmuffs, so they fit smaller heads better.

They’re also low profile so they don’t interfere with rifle stocks as much.

And they come in lots of colors, which is sometimes useful with kids.

Double up with smaller foam earplugs, like Howard Leight Lazer-Lite. That way if either don’t fit perfectly, there’s a backup.

Kids have good hearing generally, so “too much protection” isn’t an issue. If they’re paying attention, no problem; if they’re not, it doesn’t matter what earpro they’re using.

If money is no issue get them these. Adjustable thin Velcro strap on top with gel insert cups (no headache, or ear fatigue). Don’t spend money on kids ones as they will outgrow them.

Don’t listen to “too much protection” ninjas.

Attachments

• E251E2B5-F47D-4D8C-AD3B-FDC27D831D56.jpeg
    E251E2B5-F47D-4D8C-AD3B-FDC27D831D56.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 10
  • E3D55004-A092-4338-B5E5-D3D2F9DA8EC6.jpeg
    E3D55004-A092-4338-B5E5-D3D2F9DA8EC6.jpeg
    492.2 KB · Views: 10
If money is no issue get them these. Adjustable thin Velcro strap on top with gel insert cups (no headache, or ear fatigue). Don’t spend money on kids ones as they will outgrow them.
there are also 3m peltor in $150 range and sordin in $250 range.
some may argue, but i`ve kept only muffs i posted above, the $28 and $43 ones. work the same.

there are also 3m peltor in $150 range and sordin in $250 range.
some may argue, but i`ve kept only muffs i posted above, the $28 and $43 ones. work the same.

Situations obviously vary, some of us wear them for hours at the time daily sometimes and headache and ear fatigue are a thing. I have a $60 3m ones and 10 max at the range maybe before they become a hinderance for me.

wow next level. You have those for yourselves or the kids?

Situations obviously vary, some of us wear them for hours at the time daily sometimes and headache and ear fatigue are a thing. I have a $60 3m ones and 10 max at the range maybe before they become a hinderance for me.
definitely makes sense for an instructor, especially if you can write it off as a work equipment. but, just for a 1-2hr long range visit - does not make much of a practical difference, and it all is in the same 25dB ballpark sound suppression wise. you just pay premium for the better ergonomics.

I have the MSA Sordins for myself and now for my son as well.

They are nice... with the gel pads, they are very comfortable and seal out noise. I still say that the electronic noise cancelation is better in the Pro Ears Gold. When I turn up the volume in the Sordins I have (3 pair), they have a hiss. The Pro Ears do not.

19dB doesn’t seem like much protection.

What am I missing?

I have the MSA Sordins for myself and now for my son as well.

They are nice... with the gel pads, they are very comfortable and seal out noise. I still say that the electronic noise cancelation is better in the Pro Ears Gold. When I turn up the volume in the Sordins I have (3 pair), they have a hiss. The Pro Ears do not.
do you mean those?

aren`t they getting in the way when you need to set on cheek rest to shoot the chassis mounted rifle?
i found muffs with such huge bodies are really a nuisance, so i reverted to slim muffs only. but, a 33dB is a good protection.

do you mean those?

aren`t they getting in the way when you need to set on cheek rest to shoot the chassis mounted rifle?
i found muffs with such huge bodies are really a nuisance, so i reverted to slim muffs only. but, a 33dB is a good protection.

They have various version in their Gold lineup.

Some are much slimmer

They have various version in their Gold lineup.

Some are much slimmer

yep, i see. slim ones drop to same nrr 26, so, no miracles there. thx for the info, good to know.

Back
Top Bottom