• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ear Protection

Those red 3M ear muffs work well for me while mowing the lawn. You pay about $25 for them at the big orange box.

Yesterday I was at the range and the guy next to me was using empty brass as his hearing protection. I believe they were 9mm. Not sure what the NRR is on brass, but I saw a different guy doing the same thing a couple weeks ago. They were both in their 70's. Way more OG than me. I still stick with my electronic muffs.

I went with these Howard Leight electronic ear muffs. Claim a rating of NRR 30. They sound interesting. I'll be sure to give my opinion on them when I get to try them out. I can use my mp3 player with them. Get to listen to some heavy metal while I fire of some rounds \,,/, ,\,,/

Amazon.com: Howard Leight by Honeywell R-01902 Impact Pro Electronic Shooting Earmuffs: Home Improvement

I have several pairs of these and was surprised to see you mention a NRR of 30db. I just looked at the specs and they are only 22db.

OP: NRR22 is a horrible ear muff.

NRR22 + NRR22 plugs does not equal NRR44, It doesn't work that way it's more like NRR25. Think of it like you're watching a motorcycle at 100db and someone talks to you at 80db. The increase is negligible.

Get yourself a nice set of NRR33 muffs like someone here recommended to me: Pro Ears Gold; I can hear every word spoken from 100 yards, too.

But they're $250 to $300.

I use top of the line 33NR Ultra Pro Tacticals. I teach at an indoor range and frequently RSO at Monadnock, and wanted something good. These will set you back over $300, they can be found for less.

No matter what you get, just remember you have only one set of ears and hearing loss will not come back.
I think we're talking about the same muffs: Pro Ears Gold, they have several models like tac and mag and I have no idea what difference they are, they have the same specs.

Roll-up foam plugs should be 29dB or higher for best noise reduction.

Electronic muffs typically are only 22-25dB reduction.
What's the NRR of the plugs and muffs? Higher rating is important for both. Electric muffs are great for talking but overall not great for the best noise attenuation.
Ya gotta pay big for good ones.

Last edited:
It sucks that you're experience problems. I always try to imagine how the guys deployed can handle the sound when I am at the range, especially with my SBR.

One solution it so possess a suppressor in a free state.

Yesterday I was at the range and the guy next to me was using empty brass as his hearing protection. I believe they were 9mm. Not sure what the NRR is on brass, but I saw a different guy doing the same thing a couple weeks ago. They were both in their 70's. Way more OG than me. I still stick with my electronic muffs.

I see this a lot at my range too.

OP: NRR22 is a horrible ear muff.

NRR22 + NRR22 plugs does not equal NRR44, It doesn't work that way it's more like NRR25. Think of it like you're watching a motorcycle at 100db and someone talks to you at 80db. The increase is negligible.

Get yourself a nice set of NRR33 muffs like someone here recommended to me: Pro Ears Gold; I can hear every word spoken from 100 yards, too.

But they're $250 to $300.

I think we're talking about the same muffs: Pro Ears Gold, they have several models like tac and mag and I have no idea what difference they are, they have the same specs.

Ya gotta pay big for good ones.
We are talking about the same muffs, you got a very good price. I didn't read the owners manually deeply enough to want to touch the jumpers. I'd like to keep the volume even lower than I do.

Custom molded plugs. If I'm expecting a LOT of noise (like at an NES shoot) I'll throw a pair of electronic muffs on top (Howard Leight Impact Sport).

I love the Howard Leight Impact Sport, we have a bunch of them, I find them especially useful when we bring newbies to the range. I can hear them and they can hear me. No temptation on exposing one ear to hear me while someone is firing an 8mm two lanes down.

I use the Surefire Ear Pro plugs for everything I shoot and they work great. Double up with muffs if you need more protection. These are way better than the foam things.

I never take the little plug things out; I did that once and it let loud into my ears.

Using Modified Spent Casings as Hearing Protection

- - - Updated - - -

I purchased an AR-15 Sport .223/5.56. ?

Does it have a brake on it? If so, find one with just a crowned barrel and no device on the end.

Makes a world of difference.

NRR of 33 is the best I could find. Midway has them for about $36. These are not electronic. I have been using them, and even with my tinnitus, I have been comfortable. I don't personally couple them with plugs, but if you decide to do so, pay the price and buy the highest NRR available.

Just happened on this...seems a decent reference chart if accurate...

http://www.m1911.org/loudness.htm

[h=3]How much noise does it makes?[/h]
So you want to know which cartridge makes the louder bang?Some technicalities are in order first.
Sound is measured in decibels (db), much like temperature is measured in degrees and speed in miles (or kilometers) per hour. Like most other units, the bottom of the scale or 0 db, is an arbitrary setting, which by convention is set to be the level of the sound that we can bearly hear, or our hearing threshold, as it is normally known.
One difference between the decibel scale and most of the other units we usually use in our everyday life, is the fact that the decibel scale is not linear, but logarithmic. In a linear scale, like velocity, if someone's car is moving at 100 mph, we know that he is moving at twice the speed of someone else who is doing 50 mph, i.e. 2x50 mph is double the velocity of the second car. In logarithmic scales a sound which is only 3 db higher than another, has twice the energy. For example, if you look at the table below, the 9mm Para cartridge at 160 db has twice the sound energy of the .45 ACP cartridge which is measured at 157 db.
Another complication is that the human ear does not hear linearly either. Although loudness is subjective, most people perceive one sound to be twice as loud as another, when there is a 10-fold increase in energy, or a difference of about 10 db. So a 60 db sound sounds twice as loud as a 50 db one, although there is 10 times more energy in it. Also, it is interesting to note that most people cann ot discern any difference in perceived loudness of less than 3 db. That means that the energy in the sound has to double, before someone can notice any difference.
After this technical jargon, here is a table of loudness.
dbEnvironmental noise
0Threshold of hearing
10Normal breathing
20Rusting leaves
30Whisper at 30 feet
40Quiet street
50Interior home noise
60Conversation
70Crowded restaurant
75Kitchen appliances
80City traffic
85Hearing damage possible
90Lawn mower
100Chain shaw
120Threshold of pain
120Siren
134.22 LR rifle
140Jet engine at take-off
150.410 shotgun
152.22 LR pistol
15320 gauge shotgun
155.223 rifle
155.25 pistol
15612 gauge shotgun
156.30-.30 rifle
156.308 rifle
156.44 Special revolver
157.22 Magnum pistol
157.45 ACP pistol
158.380 ACP pistol
158.38 Special revolver
159.30-06
1609mm Para pistol
163.41 Magnum revolver
164.357 Magnum revolver
164.44 Magnum revolver
No wonder why the damn Glock sounded louder than my Bigmouth at the range!

Back
Top Bottom