• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ear Protection

I purchased an AR-15 Sport .223/5.56. Prior to this, I have only purchased and shot revolvers and pistols. I have some ear issues (long story, but any loud sharp noises hurt my ears). I have what I think are decent $50.00 ear protection, and I have no issues with my handguns. I took the AR to the range and much to my surprise it was MUCH louder. I tried putting the foam plugs in then the ear"muff" types over but it still did not work.

Not sure if there are better Db surpression? I also purchased electronic muffs and they were worse. I also assume that the Db number ie 22Db means "take 22Db off what ever sound comes my way"?

I am guessing it means I need to retire the AR - I have not had a chance to shoot it (other than 5 rounds) and enjoyit.

Any idea?

Plugs + muffs is basically the best protection you can get. Ensure that you're putting in the plugs correctly:

Another option would be to get some custom-molded earplugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The proper way to insert foam ear plugs is very different than how most people do it. Here's a picture I googled. images.jpeg

Eta mlaboss beat me too it and with a video...kudos man.

I purchased an AR-15 Sport .223/5.56. Prior to this, I have only purchased and shot revolvers and pistols. I have some ear issues (long story, but any loud sharp noises hurt my ears). I have what I think are decent $50.00 ear protection, and I have no issues with my handguns. I took the AR to the range and much to my surprise it was MUCH louder. I tried putting the foam plugs in then the ear"muff" types over but it still did not work.

Not sure if there are better Db surpression? I also purchased electronic muffs and they were worse. I also assume that the Db number ie 22Db means "take 22Db off what ever sound comes my way"?

I am guessing it means I need to retire the AR - I have not had a chance to shoot it (other than 5 rounds) and enjoyit.

Any idea?

PM me = SOLD. [smile]

Seriously...plugs installed correctly and muffs SHOULD do the trick..."decent $50 protection" means squat...

Not to highjack the thread but rather than start another one, I was wondering what you guys use for ear protection. I was looking to get my own ear muffs and I saw some electric ones and was wondering what brands/types are recommended.

What's the NRR of the plugs and muffs? Higher rating is important for both. Electric muffs are great for talking but overall not great for the best noise attenuation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Not to highjack the thread but rather than start another one, I was wondering what you guys use for ear protection. I was looking to get my own ear muffs and I saw some electric ones and was wondering what brands/types are recommended.

I just use basic foam plugs, they do the trick for me.

Custom molded plugs. If I'm expecting a LOT of noise (like at an NES shoot) I'll throw a pair of electronic muffs on top (Howard Leight Impact Sport).

Yeah the howard leight ones were the brand I was looking at, but Amazon.com just suggests anything remotely related to what you're looking for and theres a ton of shit to sift through. I was at MFS the other day and it was the first time I used their newer range, and it reverberates more than the other one for some reason. The ones they provide weren't cutting it anymore.

The higher the number on the ear muff package means they surpress more sound. The lower the number, the louder the bang.

Just out of curiosity for those that have the custom molded plugs, what is the nrr for them? I keep hearing good stuff about them, but have never tried them myself. I have a couple sets of the Howard Leight Christmas tree style rubber plugs that have a decent rating which I prefer to the foam ones for ease of install and because I don't need to touch the part going into my ears, which is important if you don't have clean hands. I use them at the range for when I take the muffs off and there are other shooters near by but really never alone unless I'm shooting .22s. I do have some electronic ones that I use mainly for guests so they can hear my instructions, but I have a standard set that offers quite a bit more protection so I use those for the most part since I have quite a bit of hearing loss from many years of working around loud machinery and too many concerts and band jams so I can't afford to lose anymore of it.

What do electronic earmuffs do? Im assuming they cancel sound, not play music, right?

Not...sure...if...serious...

ANYWAY, they take in sound, then electronics dump "loud" within milliseconds to a specified decible good for the ears, don't sump sound if below a specified decible so you can talk normal and hear...

Essentially...you won't hear "BOOM" but will hear normal conversation...

...oh, and some/most come with a jack to dump in an iPod or other device...

Short version...electronics won't let a certain decible to your ears...

Not...sure...if...serious...

ANYWAY, they take in sound, then electronics dump "loud" within milliseconds to a specified decible good for the ears, don't sump sound if below a specified decible so you can talk normal and hear...

Essentially...you won't hear "BOOM" but will hear normal conversation...

...oh, and some/most come with a jack to dump in an iPod or other device...

Short version...electronics won't let a certain decible to your ears...

Do you think it would work against an angry wife?[laugh]

i have somewhat sensitive ears and regular shotgun type muffs work fine...if your doubling up and still in pain that cannot be good...hope you can figure something out to enjoy your AR

2$ Winchester ones at Walmart, I've had no problems not even with shooting an AR indoors. I don't like ear muffs I have a small head and they never fit right.

I got my custom plugs at the ear doctor, they are the best and most comfortable I own (have had 2 other custom sets made at gun shows). If I am outdoors shooting something very loud, or indoor with larger caliber handguns I will double up. I suggest a visit to a doc, they may be able to figure out other issues you have with your ears as well.

Roll-up foam plugs should be 29dB or higher for best noise reduction.

Electronic muffs typically are only 22-25dB reduction.

These are easy to use and do a good job. If you're more sensitive, then put a standard set of muffs on too. I'm sure you can find these plugs locally, for close to the same rate (or equal for a single set). I also have a set of Surefire ear plugs, that work really well. Tight fit (different size inserts) and comfortable to wear. I like the ones on the string where I expect to need to remove one (or both) quickly. Or don't want to lose one. IMO, it's easy to lift one side of the ear muffs and/or pull one of the corded plugs out to hear people talk. At the range, when people are talking, the range is cold, so NBD.

I don't have the electronic muffs and never saw a reason to spend that kind of money on a set. Of course I've not priced them in the past decade.

I always use plain earmuffs and utility-grade (harbor freight) foam plugs together. Cheap, and very effective.

Posted from my car phone.

I use top of the line 33NR Ultra Pro Tacticals. I teach at an indoor range and frequently RSO at Monadnock, and wanted something good. These will set you back over $300, they can be found for less.

No matter what you get, just remember you have only one set of ears and hearing loss will not come back.

Back
Top Bottom