• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ear bud hearing protection for someone who hates having stuff in their ears?

Fixingcars

NES Member
I'm looking for a recommendation for some ear buds to try at the range for hearing protection. The earmuffs I have been using along with my glasses are really digging into my head and it gets rather bothersome after a bit. I don't particularly like things stuck in my ears but am possibly ready to try some bud style hearing protection. I see that Sig/Axil is having a sale at the moment. I would probably get a buddy of mine to go in on the deal so we could buy 2 sets for $100 each. Anyone used these or have any other recommendations?

I'm looking for a recommendation for some ear buds to try at the range for hearing protection. The earmuffs I have been using along with my glasses are really digging into my head and it gets rather bothersome after a bit. I don't particularly like things stuck in my ears but am possibly ready to try some bud style hearing protection. I see that Sig/Axil is having a sale at the moment. I would probably get a buddy of mine to go in on the deal so we could buy 2 sets for $100 each. Anyone used these or have any other recommendations?

I split a pair of those with another neser. They're good. I have been using peltor eep100 for two years. Those are superior for noise reduction. These axil one are Bluetooth though and that's a nice trade. I found the cord to be slightly annoying from being used to the cordless type. They're quit clear in their voice amplification but a little bit of static. Not bad just a little hiss. For 100 bucks I think they're a good value. No idea how long they'll last but seem robust.

A couple other threads on the Axils. Seems some folks like them. I hope you're one of them.

I got a pair; sent them back. Wasn't impressed.

Good luck.

I split a pair of those with another neser. They're good. I have been using peltor eep100 for two years. Those are superior for noise reduction. These axil one are Bluetooth though and that's a nice trade. I found the cord to be slightly annoying from being used to the cordless type. They're quit clear in their voice amplification but a little bit of static. Not bad just a little hiss. For 100 bucks I think they're a good value. No idea how long they'll last but seem robust.
i tried 2 types of similar plugs and gave up and now use those - which are dumb non-electronic inserts so it just blocks all the sound all the time, but does it damn well and is close to 0 grams in weight.
Amazon product ASIN B07761HPHSView: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07761HPHS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I am not next to my shooting stuff right now. Recently I had that dude from Boston do a mold of my ear at a shoot, that hearing protection works great.

I forgot the name of the business.

Edit: Ear Safety Systems. I think they are great.
Shot up to 45/70 without the need to double the hearing protection.

Last edited:
I am not next to my shooting stuff right now. Recently I had that dude from Boston do a mold of my ear at a shoot, that hearing protection works great.

Ahot up to 45/70 without the need to double the hearing protection.
I just got a set from HearSafe. Same idea. Only used them once, but I like them so far. Looking forward to testing them more this weekend.

A couple other threads on the Axils. Seems some folks like them. I hope you're one of them.

I got a pair; sent them back. Wasn't impressed.

Good luck.
Thanks for the links. I didn't search very well evidently. . . .

Shot up to 45/70 without the need to double the hearing protection.
How much are the custom fitted ones?

How much are the custom fitted ones?
I forget exactly what I paid because he has a lot of options, like electronic hearing. I went with no options and I think I paid $65.

I will be getting another pair.

Takes roughly 10minutes for the guy to mold your ear, then he cleans it, rounds the edges and mails it to you. Nice guy.

I have a set of the Axils. I was pretty impressed when I shot with them side by side with my high end set I got with my insurance. I still wear outters, but it knocks pistols down to 'bearable', I wouldn't want to do a full on range day with just them in.

I had issues getting them to fit right. My wife uses them for bluetooth, she figured it out and showed me how to actually wear them. I tested them after this instruction.

Back
Top Bottom