Eames lounge chair

I think it depends on the quality of a replica, seems some have the molds they are allowed to use from Herman Miller.
There was one company in Canada doing that a while back and they were threatened with legal action. Most “replica” chairs are made in China and violate a number of copyrights, patents, etc

Herman Miller does not license their designs to my knowledge.

That being said, I would love to know if anyone is making a quality replica using their exact specs these days.

False. You can 100% tell the difference.

Materials, craftsmanship, and the actual angle of the recline are“off”.

It’s like buying a knockoff Rolex. Nobody who owns a real one would say you can’t tell the difference. Visually you may be able to fool people but what’s the point of that?

Literally, I agree. This is language, there are many meanings to words. If you don't have the two side by side, you will never plop down on one of the good copies and say "this is nothing like the original". And you can insist there is a difference, and that's your right. But it's your money and you spend it as you wish.

I might be showing my “caveman” here, only in the last couple years did I finally buy a bed frame and move my mattress off the floor, but what is a lounge chair? Is that for inside or outside? Honest question, I’ve never heard of these Eames things.

My dad has a chair similar to one of these but I don't think its nearly expensive as an eames. Same type of style though, where different parts move
etc. Maybe even better. I'll have to ask my mom what it is. All I know is whenever I go to my parents house if I sit in that f***ing thing, and crank it back... you could literally just fall asleep in the thing right there. It's that comfortable.

There was one company in Canada doing that a while back and they were threatened with legal action. Most “replica” chairs are made in China and violate a number of copyrights, patents, etc

Herman Miller does not license their designs to my knowledge.

That being said, I would love to know if anyone is making a quality replica using their exact specs these days.

These chairs are on Amazon under 600 bucks. different woods/upholstery.
Find one with prime (I didn't look that far) and if you don't like it, return it.

I might be showing my “caveman” here, only in the last couple years did I finally buy a bed frame and move my mattress off the floor, but what is a lounge chair? Is that for inside or outside? Honest question, I’ve never heard of these Eames things.
It's what you lean your Flobert Parlor Gun up against! [grin]

I think I read somewhere that Bobby Fischer pitched a MAJOR nutty until he got one of these to sit in when he played Spassky in 1972.

I might be wrong. But he literally threatened to forfeit the world championship matches if he couldn't have a specific model Eames chair to play in. I guess it must be that good.

I think I read somewhere that Bobby Fischer pitched a MAJOR nutty until he got one of these to sit in when he played Spassky in 1972.

I might be wrong. But he literally threatened to forfeit the world championship matches if he couldn't have a specific model Eames chair to play in. I guess it must be that good.

Love ours.
If you're tall (I think) they make a taller backed version.
I'm 6'4 and would buy that model if we get another.

Six-Four!?!?!? You should consider a Richardson Chair of some sort.

rich-armchair.jpg

Richardson was a tall tubby guy. 6-2 and 350 maybe? Richardson chairs don't fit anyone unless they are over 6'3"ish or weight north of 300lbs.

Easton Public Library used to have one in the periodicals room. Like an original made-for-Richardson Davenport chair. "Town Hall" (never used as a town hall - but I digress) is full of Richardson seating. The smaller "hall" within has a bench along the back wall. You feel like you are 6 years old trying to sit on the bench and put your back against the wall. Funnier still if you are under 5'6". LOL

Charles and Ray Eames were something of a power-couple who are held on a pedestal in the art and design community. Among other things, they pioneered methods for manufacturing three-dimensional bent plywood products. One of their first "important" products was a leg splint, developed for the military during WWII. Their work importantly was part of a period of increased ergonomic study resulting in mass-produced products that paid novel attention to the ways people are shaped.

After the war, they famously got heavily into designing furniture. You've now seen the lounger that the OP was asking about. Depending when/where you grew up, it's possible you've personally seen their DCW or (fiberglass) shell chairs, which were designed for mass production and popular in a lot of institutions over the last 70 years.

The Eameses were intelligent, so they licensed their designs to Herman Miller who rightly trades on the name and history to charge what the market will bear. This means we groundlings look at the ironically-named Design Within Reach catalogue and decide instead to buy something from WalMart for $200. I forget if Plycraft was a licensed reproduction, but theirs is (in my understanding) basically the only one that isn't awful, and good condition ones are getting pretty expensive now too.

Like any fashion product, if you care about the market it's worth what they charge. If not, then it's just rich-people trading cards. In its defense, the Eames is a really comfy trading card...

Last edited:
Anyone own an authentic Eames lounge chair by herman miller, thoughts? Worth getting? Anyone have one they don't want :)
I would love to have an Eames lounge chair. After shopping and research, decided that (1) they're far too expensive for my beer-bottle budget; and (2), chair and ottoman together occupy a lot of floor space.

I wound up purchasing an Ekornes Stressless recliner instead. It's far from inexpensive but is a better fit for my house and budget.

If you want an Eames Lounge, nothing else is going to look or feel like an actual Eames Lounge. People who say the knockoffs are just as good likely haven't spent that much time with an authentic one.

That said, you aren't really paying for comfort or function, buy rather for the aesthetic. There are far more comfortable chairs out there, but if you're trying to stay mid century modern, this is about the pinnacle of comfort within that constraint.

Of course, this is all just my opinion and everyone is different.

No wonder Frasier had one of these...

For $5,300 I'd much rather buy another FAL, an AUG, and put the remaining $1,800 in the bank.

My chair is a hand-me-down I got sophomore year in college that I wheeled down the street from a friend's dorm to mine. Talk about getting your money's worth.

No wonder Frasier had one of these...
From an article:
The show’s set designers spent almost $500,000 to give Frasier’s apartment its “eclectic” look. The Coco Chanel replica sofa was covered with 24 yards of Italian suede for an estimated cost of about $15,000. The Eames chair was rented, but the Pastoe curved sideboard was purchased for $3200 and the Wassily chair had a $1395 price tag.

Even Martin’s eyesore of a recliner was also on the pricey side, since the prop department couldn’t find an appropriately ugly chair at any second-hand store. The chair was eventually covered with tape and covered with fabric purchased from an exclusive shop that specialized in deliberately tacky 1970s-era textiles.

I think most 50's plywood furniture is butt-ass ugly. Hell, most 50's furniture in GENERAL is butt-ass ugly. Ditto for this, but I'm sure it's comfortable.

Is it $5,300 comfortable though?

It's pretty f'n comfortable and my alternative bed preference when my design obsessed wife of 30yrs occasionally reconsiders her life choices.
Ours is 12-14 years old, I think she paid around 3k. Then again she may have quoted the 'gun price', not the actual price.

From an article:
The show’s set designers spent almost $500,000 to give Frasier’s apartment its “eclectic” look. The Coco Chanel replica sofa was covered with 24 yards of Italian suede for an estimated cost of about $15,000. The Eames chair was rented, but the Pastoe curved sideboard was purchased for $3200 and the Wassily chair had a $1395 price tag.

Even Martin’s eyesore of a recliner was also on the pricey side, since the prop department couldn’t find an appropriately ugly chair at any second-hand store. The chair was eventually covered with tape and covered with fabric purchased from an exclusive shop that specialized in deliberately tacky 1970s-era textiles.

Ebay, I think. I was trying to determine the true value of these things. I have a lot of stupid-expensive things. Not sure I'd spend $3-5K on a chair.

I will say my Aeron chair has been worth it's weight in gold. 20 years old. I thought for sure the fabric wouldn't last a decade. Truth be told I haven't sat in it much in the last 4-5 years since I got a standing desk platform. But I do on occasion. Everything still works great. When this Corona thing gets over, I think I'm gonna outfit my conference room with them - those chairs are WORN-OUT! (Not Aerons but cheap Leatherette Staples chairs.)

Back
Top Bottom